Rotor control

  • scott@opentrac.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 19, 2006
      I'm going to try to implement a rotor control function for the T2. The
      Rotor-EZ controller supports a very simple command interface, so I'll
      probably go with that, unless someone can suggest another. The command
      would probably be something like this:

      ROTOR <degrees> (for remote manual control)
      ROTOR TRACK <callsign> (for automatic tracking)

      Hopefully I won't have to implement dead reckoning for the automatic
      tracking. It should be useful for things like air-to-ground ATV.

      The distance and bearing code is already there, as is the position parsing,
      so this really shouldn't take a lot of extra work.

      Is there anyone out there who has a suitable rotor setup and would be
      interested in testing it?

      Scott
    • Wes Johnston
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 19, 2006
        What you gunna do when it tracks past a limit? If you run a az/el setup, it only has to go 180degrees and flip the beam upside down... a little faster cycle time. I know you are considering serial output, but have you thought about PWM servo control? Just throwing things out there to "sounding board".

        Wes

      • scott@opentrac.org
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 19, 2006
          I'd rather not get into the mechanics of rotor control at this point. The
          Rotor-EZ takes serial commands that specify a pointing direction in degrees,
          and the controller takes care of the rest. Maybe if it turns out to be a
          major application I'll look at it more in the future, but for now the serial
          output is a quick way to get it to do something useful.

          Scott