RE: [tracker2] Initial Programming

  • Jon
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006

      > Yes, but only after flashing firmware into it.

      ah ok

      > > All I'm seeing is the led flashing alternate (I
      > > think) colours. It hangs and doesn't seem to
      > connect
      > > to it.
      >
      > That's what mine did until I flashed it. You need
      > to check the
      > checkbox down at the bottom that says something like
      > "load new
      > firmware" before you click on connect. It'll then
      > load new firmware
      > into the flash, reset the board, and connect right
      > up.
      I select load new firmware.. and nothing happens...
      I verified everything is working by upgrading my ot1
      with the same cables...

      I'm stuck :(

    • scott@opentrac.org
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
        What's actually going on is that the bootloader flashes red when it starts,
        then green after the clock generator starts. With no firmware loaded, it's
        going to immediately reset with an invalid opcode error, which restarts the
        bootloader.

        At least I think that's the color sequence - I'd have to check to be sure.
        It's useful for determining if the external clock circuit is bad.

        Scott

      • scott@opentrac.org
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
          > I select load new firmware.. and nothing happens...
          > I verified everything is working by upgrading my ot1
          > with the same cables...

          Does it just sit there with the 'reset tracker now' message after you hit
          connect?

          If you fire up hyperterminal, you should see a weird character output every
          time the LED flashes.

          Scott
        • Curt, WE7U
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
            On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Jon wrote:

            > I select load new firmware.. and nothing happens...

            And selected the firmware to load, right? I can't remember if it
            asks for the directory/filename _before_ it connects to the board or
            _after_. Before, I believe.

            > I verified everything is working by upgrading my ot1
            > with the same cables...

            I used the exact same cable and same config program with an OT1, an
            OT1m, and a Tracker2. They all flashed and configured properly.
            I did this using a 9V battery for power for each of them.

          • Jon
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
              --- scott@... wrote:

              > Does it just sit there with the 'reset tracker now'
              > message after you hit
              > connect?
              yes it does.

              > If you fire up hyperterminal, you should see a weird
              > character output every
              > time the LED flashes.

              ok I'm seeing nothing... I've to head now to a
              meeting.. so I'll have to come back to this.. :(

              Cheers
              John

            • scott@opentrac.org
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
                It should ask for the firmware file after it connects. If you don't select
                the erase/load option, it'll give you an error about an unrecognized
                firmware.

                Maybe tonight I'll get a chance to fix it so it'll prompt you for a file or
                download if it detects a blank or unsupported device.

                The target identifier is part of the bootloader and tells the program what
                chip is in use, so it shouldn't ever give you the option to download the
                wrong firmware type. It won't stop you from specifying an invalid local
                file, but it won't load because of memory layout differences.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
                  --- "Curt, WE7U" <archer@...> wrote:

                  > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Jon wrote:
                  >
                  > > I select load new firmware.. and nothing
                  > happens...
                  >
                  > And selected the firmware to load, right? I can't
                  > remember if it
                  > asks for the directory/filename _before_ it connects
                  > to the board or
                  > _after_. Before, I believe.
                  Hmmm, It didn't get around to asking me what firmware
                  to load.

                  > I used the exact same cable and same config program
                  > with an OT1, an
                  > OT1m, and a Tracker2. They all flashed and
                  > configured properly.
                  > I did this using a 9V battery for power for each of
                  > them.
                  Ok, We were using a 13.8Volt PSU. I'm wondering
                  though why it seems to power up from the serial cable.
                  How many wires have you connected in your Null Modem
                  cable?

                  Regards
                  John

                • scott@opentrac.org
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 30, 2006
                    > Ok, We were using a 13.8Volt PSU. I'm wondering
                    > though why it seems to power up from the serial cable.
                    > How many wires have you connected in your Null Modem
                    > cable?

                    Try pulling jumper 4 completely. Also, even if it's getting power through
                    serial you should be able to hook up external power first, then connect the
                    serial cable and run the config program.

                    Worst case, try it with just pins 2, 3, and 5 connected.

                    Scott
                  • Curt, WE7U
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 30, 2006
                      On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Jon wrote:

                      > Ok, We were using a 13.8Volt PSU. I'm wondering
                      > though why it seems to power up from the serial cable.
                      > How many wires have you connected in your Null Modem
                      > cable?

                      No idea. I've used a couple of different similar cables, both are
                      laplink cables (Both DE9 and DB25 on each end of the cable, pins 2/3
                      crossed over, perhaps other handshakes crossed over as well if
                      they're present in the cable).

                    • Jon
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 30, 2006
                        > No idea. I've used a couple of different similar
                        > cables, both are
                        > laplink cables (Both DE9 and DB25 on each end of the
                        > cable, pins 2/3
                        > crossed over, perhaps other handshakes crossed over
                        > as well if
                        > they're present in the cable).
                        Evening,

                        We made up another cable just pins 2,3 & 5. Same
                        result, except this time I gave it to a friend of mine
                        to look at.

                        We're beginning to suspect the laptop's Serial port,
                        so he is going to compare the TX line on the laptop
                        against another PC he has there on a scope.

                        Cheers
                        de John
                        EI7IG

                      • scott@opentrac.org
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 30, 2006
                          Very odd. Let me know what you find out. This new cable has 2 and 3
                          crossed over, right?

                          Scott

                        • Jon
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 30, 2006
                            An obvious question, and given that he's an
                            electronics engineer, I'll wait until I'm sure he has
                            coffee before asking him :)

                            Cheers
                            John