RE: [tracker2] Prototype rev B changes

  • scott@opentrac.org
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
      Here's the deal with the pin header - I need about 14 pins for expansion anyway, and it's mostly generic I/O and power/ground, so I'm using the layout of the typical HD44780 LCD header and adding a space for a contrast adjust resistor.  The second serial interface is on the header mostly so you can plug in a GPS module there.

      The I2C port is also on the pin header, so that could be used for expansion of some sort.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
        On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 scott@... wrote:

        > I'm sure people will be finding quirks with various GPS receiver

        Have you seen binary zeropadding in Magellan's waypoint names ?

        Someone local tells me his magellan doesn't work with our tracker
        thingie, but has not provided dumps. "platinium.txt" (googles)
        shows _nasty_ characters, which I suspect is the cause. It only
        affected (blocked) GPRMB parsing.

        Another "in case it matters",
        Juha OH5NXO
      • scott@opentrac.org
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 13, 2006
          > Have you seen binary zeropadding in Magellan's waypoint names ?

          Not that I recall. I'll probably see if I can round up a few more models
          that I haven't tested yet (Garmin and otherwise) before the release.

          Scott
        • Curt, WE7U
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 14, 2006
            On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 scott@... wrote:

            > Here's the deal with the pin header - I need about 14 pins for expansion
            > anyway, and it's mostly generic I/O and power/ground, so I'm using the
            > layout of the typical HD44780 LCD header and adding a space for a contrast
            > adjust resistor. The second serial interface is on the header mostly so you
            > can plug in a GPS module there.
            >
            > The I2C port is also on the pin header, so that could be used for expansion
            > of some sort.

            A few thoughts: For the 14-pin header, you can talk to the LCD in
            8-bit mode or 4-bit mode. If one were to use 4-bit mode, could you
            still use the second serial port for the GPS?

            If not, might you consider using the 1-pin circuit for talking to an
            LCD using a Dallas one-wire part so that we _could_ hook both an LCD
            and a GPS to that port? One of their app-notes describes this,
            you've probably seen it.

            Perhaps also a couple of switches and a rotary encoder, you get the
            picture...