RE: [tracker2] Prototype rev B changes

  • scott@opentrac.org
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
      Here's the deal with the pin header - I need about 14 pins for expansion anyway, and it's mostly generic I/O and power/ground, so I'm using the layout of the typical HD44780 LCD header and adding a space for a contrast adjust resistor.  The second serial interface is on the header mostly so you can plug in a GPS module there.

      The I2C port is also on the pin header, so that could be used for expansion of some sort.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
        I kind of lost track with the thread, but are you
        looking to put both serial ports on the same physical
        DB9? If so, no big deal, we can just make up a Y
        cable with the individual DB9 connectors for each
        serial port.

        Jason KE4NYV
        RPC Electronics
        www.rpc-electronics.com

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

        > --------------------~-->
        > Home is just a click away.  Make Yahoo! your home
        > page now.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

      • J. Rausch
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, <scott@...> wrote:

          > > About the only simple thing I had in mind suggesting would be a
          > > low/medium current switch output to drive a GPS.
          >
          > There's not a ton of space left on the board, but a 2N7000 might
          work as a
          > cheap low-side switch for a couple hundred mA. Actually, the first
          SMT

        • scott@opentrac.org
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
            > I kind of lost track with the thread, but are you
            > looking to put both serial ports on the same physical
            > DB9? If so, no big deal, we can just make up a Y
            > cable with the individual DB9 connectors for each
            > serial port.

            Yeah, and at least the RX side of the second port will be on the header as
            well, for headless GPS use.

            Scott
          • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
              On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 scott@... wrote:

              > I'm sure people will be finding quirks with various GPS receiver

              Have you seen binary zeropadding in Magellan's waypoint names ?

              Someone local tells me his magellan doesn't work with our tracker
              thingie, but has not provided dumps. "platinium.txt" (googles)
              shows _nasty_ characters, which I suspect is the cause. It only
              affected (blocked) GPRMB parsing.

              Another "in case it matters",
              Juha OH5NXO
            • scott@opentrac.org
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 13, 2006
                > Have you seen binary zeropadding in Magellan's waypoint names ?

                Not that I recall. I'll probably see if I can round up a few more models
                that I haven't tested yet (Garmin and otherwise) before the release.

                Scott
              • Curt, WE7U
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 14, 2006
                  On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 scott@... wrote:

                  > Here's the deal with the pin header - I need about 14 pins for expansion
                  > anyway, and it's mostly generic I/O and power/ground, so I'm using the
                  > layout of the typical HD44780 LCD header and adding a space for a contrast
                  > adjust resistor. The second serial interface is on the header mostly so you
                  > can plug in a GPS module there.
                  >
                  > The I2C port is also on the pin header, so that could be used for expansion
                  > of some sort.

                  A few thoughts: For the 14-pin header, you can talk to the LCD in
                  8-bit mode or 4-bit mode. If one were to use 4-bit mode, could you
                  still use the second serial port for the GPS?

                  If not, might you consider using the 1-pin circuit for talking to an
                  LCD using a Dallas one-wire part so that we _could_ hook both an LCD
                  and a GPS to that port? One of their app-notes describes this,
                  you've probably seen it.

                  Perhaps also a couple of switches and a rotary encoder, you get the
                  picture...