Re: Prototype rev B changes

  • Ian ZL1VFO
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
      > 1. Prototype rev B changes
      > Posted by: "scott@..." scott@... n1vg
      > Date: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:42 pm (PDT)

      ~ Big Snip ~

      > Is there anything I'm forgetting?

      ~ Snip ~

      > Scott

      About the only simple thing I had in mind suggesting would be a
      low/medium current switch output to drive a GPS.
      Working something like this....

      When parked, or otherwise in need of as low a standby current
      consumption as possible-

      Switch on power to the GPS.
      Wait until GPS gets a good position lock
      If no lock after say 2 - 3 minutes, switch off GPS & sleep for 30 min or so

      If there is a GPS lock, switch on radio.
      Listen for a clear channel
      Blat out a packet
      Switch off radio
      Switch off GPS
      Sleep for 30 min or so
      ... and repeat

      Possible? or is there something already present that will do this...?
      Maybe in Rev C.. <g>

      73,
      Ian ZL1VFO

      P.S.
      I'm still working on the WX200 Wx Serial data via TCP thing...

      http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
    • Wes Johnston
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
        Mute pin can be allocated in the kpc3 software to two pins.... pin 8 and I think pin 4.  I use pin 8.  Pin 7 is power.  Pin 2 is XCD.

        I like the idea of a serial port for an LCD.... HOWEVER.. it seems that it would be pretty easy to make a serial lcd controller for a pic that would catch packets going to the GPS on the normal serial port.  I find myself wondering (when using a GPS to display data) which station has updated.  If a serial LCD would simply display a chronological list of the callsigns of stations heard, that would go a long long way.

        Wes
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
          On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 scott@... wrote:

          > Pin 6 on the RJ12 jack is now connected to the configuration jumper input
          > for convenience. The CTS and RTS handshaking signals on the serial port are
          > connected to the second serial interface, and could be used either as a
          > second serial port (with an appropriate cable) or for hardware flow control
          > (good for the HamHUD.)

          I'd really like to see both of these capabilities.

          The feature I'd like most would be to have the GPS or the KISS port
          on that 2nd interface (don't care which). I could then build the
          unit into the Jeep as a tracker/digipeater (for SAR), but still hook
          up a HamHUD or a laptop to it when needed without disconnecting the
          GPS. Of course we'd then need a way of getting the GPS data to the
          laptop or hamhud as well. I think for a HamHud you'd use a y-cable.
          For the laptop you'd need the control-E function in TNC
          command-mode, or MKISS with another port number for KISS mode?

        • scott@opentrac.org
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
            Here's the deal with the pin header - I need about 14 pins for expansion anyway, and it's mostly generic I/O and power/ground, so I'm using the layout of the typical HD44780 LCD header and adding a space for a contrast adjust resistor.  The second serial interface is on the header mostly so you can plug in a GPS module there.

            The I2C port is also on the pin header, so that could be used for expansion of some sort.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
              I'll second Curts request. I'd love to see one serial port for GPS and the
              other for TNC (KISS or otherwise). Then, if we had the GPS sentences (maybe
              just $GPMRC) sent out the TNC port, the Tracker 2 would work with SmartPalm
              or PocketAPRS.

              What's the latest estimate on Tracker2 availability?

              Mike Fenske
              VE7MKF

            • scott@opentrac.org
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
                Getting the second port to work for GPS should be pretty easy. KISS too. I
                think the console will probably be confined to one port for simplicity.

                I'm going to get a board submitted this week (honest!) with a 10-day
                turnaround. Assuming no major problems, that'll probably be pretty much the
                board that goes into initial production. Cases will be available in a few
                weeks and I want to have something ready to go then.

                I'll likely be doing just kits to start with, but I'd rather have a bit of a
                slow start to help iron any bugs out before it really goes into mass
                production. I'm sure people will be finding quirks with various GPS
                receiver models and that sort of thing.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
                  > About the only simple thing I had in mind suggesting would be a
                  > low/medium current switch output to drive a GPS.

                  There's not a ton of space left on the board, but a 2N7000 might work as a
                  cheap low-side switch for a couple hundred mA. Actually, the first SMT
                  prototype had a spare FET for that sort of thing.

                  Hmm.. the FET probably wouldn't be happy about bipolar RS-232 signals being
                  applied to it, though.

                  Scott
                • Jason Rausch
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
                    I kind of lost track with the thread, but are you
                    looking to put both serial ports on the same physical
                    DB9? If so, no big deal, we can just make up a Y
                    cable with the individual DB9 connectors for each
                    serial port.

                    Jason KE4NYV
                    RPC Electronics
                    www.rpc-electronics.com

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

                    > --------------------~-->
                    > Home is just a click away.  Make Yahoo! your home
                    > page now.

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

                  • J. Rausch
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006

                    • scott@opentrac.org
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
                        > I kind of lost track with the thread, but are you
                        > looking to put both serial ports on the same physical
                        > DB9? If so, no big deal, we can just make up a Y
                        > cable with the individual DB9 connectors for each
                        > serial port.

                        Yeah, and at least the RX side of the second port will be on the header as
                        well, for headless GPS use.

                        Scott
                      • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 12, 2006
                          On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 scott@... wrote:

                          > I'm sure people will be finding quirks with various GPS receiver

                          Have you seen binary zeropadding in Magellan's waypoint names ?

                          Someone local tells me his magellan doesn't work with our tracker
                          thingie, but has not provided dumps. "platinium.txt" (googles)
                          shows _nasty_ characters, which I suspect is the cause. It only
                          affected (blocked) GPRMB parsing.

                          Another "in case it matters",
                          Juha OH5NXO
                        • scott@opentrac.org
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 13, 2006
                            > Have you seen binary zeropadding in Magellan's waypoint names ?

                            Not that I recall. I'll probably see if I can round up a few more models
                            that I haven't tested yet (Garmin and otherwise) before the release.

                            Scott
                          • Curt, WE7U
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 14, 2006
                              On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 scott@... wrote:

                              > Here's the deal with the pin header - I need about 14 pins for expansion
                              > anyway, and it's mostly generic I/O and power/ground, so I'm using the
                              > layout of the typical HD44780 LCD header and adding a space for a contrast
                              > adjust resistor. The second serial interface is on the header mostly so you
                              > can plug in a GPS module there.
                              >
                              > The I2C port is also on the pin header, so that could be used for expansion
                              > of some sort.

                              A few thoughts: For the 14-pin header, you can talk to the LCD in
                              8-bit mode or 4-bit mode. If one were to use 4-bit mode, could you
                              still use the second serial port for the GPS?

                              If not, might you consider using the 1-pin circuit for talking to an
                              LCD using a Dallas one-wire part so that we _could_ hook both an LCD
                              and a GPS to that port? One of their app-notes describes this,
                              you've probably seen it.

                              Perhaps also a couple of switches and a rotary encoder, you get the
                              picture...