RE: [tracker2] PLC logic

  • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
      On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 scott@... wrote:

      > Would the fuel pump be the best target to disable the car in a benign
      > manner? I figured it's remote enough from the engine compartment that it

      How about shorting the switch to car horn ? An 'indirect' more
      than 'benign' method. Customs officers ought to know about morse, and act
      when the mercedes in the queue keeps honking - .... . ..-. -

      Maybe not. But then there's the unavoidable escalation of
      detecting tampering of gps... Some units might say "antenna short/open"
      and gps-mouses would just stop saying anything at all. Aluminium
      tape over antenna would be one step harder to detect.

      Nice thought exercise anyway :)

      Juha OH5NXO
    • scott@opentrac.org
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
        > Maybe not. But then there's the unavoidable escalation of
        > detecting tampering of gps... Some units might say "antenna
        > short/open"
        > and gps-mouses would just stop saying anything at all. Aluminium
        > tape over antenna would be one step harder to detect.

        There's still the remote command ability. At least until they get wise to
        that and start clipping antennas...

        Scott
      • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
          The "geofences" might have a use as report triggers (or blockers!);
          circling closed garages and any other black holes. Little reward from lots
          of cpu cycles, but, again, just a thought.

          Juha OH5NXO
        • scott@opentrac.org
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
            Actually, for rectangular areas that are orthogonal to the coordinate plane,
            there's not much processing involved. Each GPS coordinate is already
            converted to a 32-bit integer format, so it's just a matter of seeing if
            your coordinate pair falls between two corners. And that only has to be
            done every second or two, when a new position comes in.

            I'll probably do that eventually as part of the scripting system. I plan to
            set aside one page of flash (512 bytes) for script code, so you could fit a
            number of geofence checks in there.

            Scott

          • Wes johnston
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
              Perhaps defining multiple orthogonal areas?  A 2 point line suits me ... or a parallelagram... If you look at the coast of SC, it runs approx 45 degrees to the north and east.  A orthogonal box just isn't gunna catch my balloon before it hits water.

              Wes
              Actually, for rectangular areas that are orthogonal to the coordinate plane,
              there's not much processing involved.  Each GPS coordinate is already
              converted to a 32-bit integer format,  so it's just a matter of seeing if
              your coordinate pair falls between two corners.  And that only has to be
              done every second or two, when a new position comes in.

              I'll probably do that eventually as part of the scripting system.  I plan to
              set aside one page of flash (512 bytes) for script code, so you could fit a
              number of geofence checks in there.

              Scott

            • Tyson S.
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                Sounds like your looking for a polygon like the GIS guys use, or a
                multipoint line than can trace along something like a coastline.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 4, 2006
                  On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Wes johnston wrote:

                  > approx 45 degrees to the north and east. A orthogonal box just isn't
                  > gunna catch my balloon before it hits water.

                  IIRC, Scott mentioned support of great-circle distance calculation.
                  If that will be scriptable, many local contours could be approximated
                  using distance to far far away point (or few points).
                  In your case, Madagascar ? :)

                  It might work with flat-earth-model too.

                  Juha, OH5NXO