RE: [tracker2] PLC logic

  • scott@opentrac.org
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
      I learned the joys of NC and more complicated relays at a young age - tore apart a whole pinball machine to build all sorts of stuff with 'em, and nearly burned down the barn in the process.  =]

      I just thought it ought to be a little more 'sticky' than that. Since the setting is in flash it's going to start up that way every time, so I guess it should be OK with a relay.  You just have to find a place to mount one more component.

      Would the fuel pump be the best target to disable the car in a benign manner?  I figured it's remote enough from the engine compartment that it might give you more options for installation of the kill switch.  Maybe there's a better way... let's just say that my auto shop grade suffered a bit from my focus on computer science.  =]

      Scott

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
        On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 scott@... wrote:

        > Would the fuel pump be the best target to disable the car in a benign
        > manner? I figured it's remote enough from the engine compartment that it

        How about shorting the switch to car horn ? An 'indirect' more
        than 'benign' method. Customs officers ought to know about morse, and act
        when the mercedes in the queue keeps honking - .... . ..-. -

        Maybe not. But then there's the unavoidable escalation of
        detecting tampering of gps... Some units might say "antenna short/open"
        and gps-mouses would just stop saying anything at all. Aluminium
        tape over antenna would be one step harder to detect.

        Nice thought exercise anyway :)

        Juha OH5NXO
      • scott@opentrac.org
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
          > Maybe not. But then there's the unavoidable escalation of
          > detecting tampering of gps... Some units might say "antenna
          > short/open"
          > and gps-mouses would just stop saying anything at all. Aluminium
          > tape over antenna would be one step harder to detect.

          There's still the remote command ability. At least until they get wise to
          that and start clipping antennas...

          Scott
        • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
            The "geofences" might have a use as report triggers (or blockers!);
            circling closed garages and any other black holes. Little reward from lots
            of cpu cycles, but, again, just a thought.

            Juha OH5NXO
          • scott@opentrac.org
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
              Actually, for rectangular areas that are orthogonal to the coordinate plane,
              there's not much processing involved. Each GPS coordinate is already
              converted to a 32-bit integer format, so it's just a matter of seeing if
              your coordinate pair falls between two corners. And that only has to be
              done every second or two, when a new position comes in.

              I'll probably do that eventually as part of the scripting system. I plan to
              set aside one page of flash (512 bytes) for script code, so you could fit a
              number of geofence checks in there.

              Scott

            • Wes johnston
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                Perhaps defining multiple orthogonal areas?  A 2 point line suits me ... or a parallelagram... If you look at the coast of SC, it runs approx 45 degrees to the north and east.  A orthogonal box just isn't gunna catch my balloon before it hits water.

                Wes
                Actually, for rectangular areas that are orthogonal to the coordinate plane,
                there's not much processing involved.  Each GPS coordinate is already
                converted to a 32-bit integer format,  so it's just a matter of seeing if
                your coordinate pair falls between two corners.  And that only has to be
                done every second or two, when a new position comes in.

                I'll probably do that eventually as part of the scripting system.  I plan to
                set aside one page of flash (512 bytes) for script code, so you could fit a
                number of geofence checks in there.

                Scott

              • Tyson S.
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                  Sounds like your looking for a polygon like the GIS guys use, or a
                  multipoint line than can trace along something like a coastline.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 4, 2006
                    On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Wes johnston wrote:

                    > approx 45 degrees to the north and east. A orthogonal box just isn't
                    > gunna catch my balloon before it hits water.

                    IIRC, Scott mentioned support of great-circle distance calculation.
                    If that will be scriptable, many local contours could be approximated
                    using distance to far far away point (or few points).
                    In your case, Madagascar ? :)

                    It might work with flat-earth-model too.

                    Juha, OH5NXO