Re: [tracker2] PLC logic

  • Wes johnston
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
      muhhhhahaha..... I like that.... semi permanent disabled.  But the "must have" accessory would have to be the ejection seat.   What would really be fun would be to activate a prerecorded computer voice that said something like "sleeping gas release in 5 4 3 2 1...." and then release some of that harmless smoke they use in discos.  Would be great to see how fast your average thief could get out of a car.

      Seriously, using the NC contacts of a relay works wonders... the relay is dormant, current flows thru contacts to coil or fuel pump.  Activate the relay and current is interrupted.  Most people think of relays as must turn on to pass current, this is the opposite.

      Wes
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
        I learned the joys of NC and more complicated relays at a young age - tore apart a whole pinball machine to build all sorts of stuff with 'em, and nearly burned down the barn in the process.  =]

        I just thought it ought to be a little more 'sticky' than that. Since the setting is in flash it's going to start up that way every time, so I guess it should be OK with a relay.  You just have to find a place to mount one more component.

        Would the fuel pump be the best target to disable the car in a benign manner?  I figured it's remote enough from the engine compartment that it might give you more options for installation of the kill switch.  Maybe there's a better way... let's just say that my auto shop grade suffered a bit from my focus on computer science.  =]

        Scott

      • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
          On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 scott@... wrote:

          > Would the fuel pump be the best target to disable the car in a benign
          > manner? I figured it's remote enough from the engine compartment that it

          How about shorting the switch to car horn ? An 'indirect' more
          than 'benign' method. Customs officers ought to know about morse, and act
          when the mercedes in the queue keeps honking - .... . ..-. -

          Maybe not. But then there's the unavoidable escalation of
          detecting tampering of gps... Some units might say "antenna short/open"
          and gps-mouses would just stop saying anything at all. Aluminium
          tape over antenna would be one step harder to detect.

          Nice thought exercise anyway :)

          Juha OH5NXO
        • scott@opentrac.org
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
            > Maybe not. But then there's the unavoidable escalation of
            > detecting tampering of gps... Some units might say "antenna
            > short/open"
            > and gps-mouses would just stop saying anything at all. Aluminium
            > tape over antenna would be one step harder to detect.

            There's still the remote command ability. At least until they get wise to
            that and start clipping antennas...

            Scott
          • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
              The "geofences" might have a use as report triggers (or blockers!);
              circling closed garages and any other black holes. Little reward from lots
              of cpu cycles, but, again, just a thought.

              Juha OH5NXO
            • scott@opentrac.org
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                Actually, for rectangular areas that are orthogonal to the coordinate plane,
                there's not much processing involved. Each GPS coordinate is already
                converted to a 32-bit integer format, so it's just a matter of seeing if
                your coordinate pair falls between two corners. And that only has to be
                done every second or two, when a new position comes in.

                I'll probably do that eventually as part of the scripting system. I plan to
                set aside one page of flash (512 bytes) for script code, so you could fit a
                number of geofence checks in there.

                Scott

              • Wes johnston
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                  Perhaps defining multiple orthogonal areas?  A 2 point line suits me ... or a parallelagram... If you look at the coast of SC, it runs approx 45 degrees to the north and east.  A orthogonal box just isn't gunna catch my balloon before it hits water.

                  Wes
                  Actually, for rectangular areas that are orthogonal to the coordinate plane,
                  there's not much processing involved.  Each GPS coordinate is already
                  converted to a 32-bit integer format,  so it's just a matter of seeing if
                  your coordinate pair falls between two corners.  And that only has to be
                  done every second or two, when a new position comes in.

                  I'll probably do that eventually as part of the scripting system.  I plan to
                  set aside one page of flash (512 bytes) for script code, so you could fit a
                  number of geofence checks in there.

                  Scott

                • Tyson S.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                    Sounds like your looking for a polygon like the GIS guys use, or a
                    multipoint line than can trace along something like a coastline.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 4, 2006
                      On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Wes johnston wrote:

                      > approx 45 degrees to the north and east. A orthogonal box just isn't
                      > gunna catch my balloon before it hits water.

                      IIRC, Scott mentioned support of great-circle distance calculation.
                      If that will be scriptable, many local contours could be approximated
                      using distance to far far away point (or few points).
                      In your case, Madagascar ? :)

                      It might work with flat-earth-model too.

                      Juha, OH5NXO