RE: [tracker2] PLC logic

  • scott@opentrac.org
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
      A bounding box (coordinates giving two corners) would be very easy to implement.  I won't have a generic way to do that for a while, but I can do a one-off firmware build for now.

      This weekend I should have a chance to get the high side switch fully tested out.  When is your launch?

      Scott

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
        Maybe in 4 to 6 weeks.. no definite word yet.  I'm just brainstorming (and double checking ideas w/you) before presenting them to the balloon guys... better to sanity check here than foot in mouth later.

        Hey, on another subject, I got to thinking about my 276 not sending 1 second updates in garmin mode... wonder if it's a bug in the firmware?  What is the command you send a garmin to make it spew data second by second?  I can then ask them if there is a proper way or if that way is broken.
        Wes

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
          It's a pvt_start command.  I could try polling the unit for a single position, see if that works.  Might complicate things though.

        • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
            On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Wes Johnston wrote:

            > a way to provide the tracker with two points defining a line (or a
            > single point and radius) and automatically activate the cutdown?
            > Problem is, we live near the coast and if our balloon blows too far
            > east, we'll never see it again.

            That feature might also work against car theft, if there's a
            nice way to disconnect ignition or injection.

            Juha, OH5NXO
          • scott@opentrac.org
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
              I've had several requests for a geofencing option like that.

              Any suggestions on how to safely disable a car using the high-side switch?
              I suppose a brute-force way to do it might be to switch the fuel pump supply
              to ground and blow the fuse, assuming it's rated at less than 20 amps.

              Scott

            • Wes johnston
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
                muhhhhahaha..... I like that.... semi permanent disabled.  But the "must have" accessory would have to be the ejection seat.   What would really be fun would be to activate a prerecorded computer voice that said something like "sleeping gas release in 5 4 3 2 1...." and then release some of that harmless smoke they use in discos.  Would be great to see how fast your average thief could get out of a car.

                Seriously, using the NC contacts of a relay works wonders... the relay is dormant, current flows thru contacts to coil or fuel pump.  Activate the relay and current is interrupted.  Most people think of relays as must turn on to pass current, this is the opposite.

                Wes

              • scott@opentrac.org
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
                  I learned the joys of NC and more complicated relays at a young age - tore apart a whole pinball machine to build all sorts of stuff with 'em, and nearly burned down the barn in the process.  =]

                  I just thought it ought to be a little more 'sticky' than that. Since the setting is in flash it's going to start up that way every time, so I guess it should be OK with a relay.  You just have to find a place to mount one more component.

                  Would the fuel pump be the best target to disable the car in a benign manner?  I figured it's remote enough from the engine compartment that it might give you more options for installation of the kill switch.  Maybe there's a better way... let's just say that my auto shop grade suffered a bit from my focus on computer science.  =]

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                    On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 scott@... wrote:

                    > Would the fuel pump be the best target to disable the car in a benign
                    > manner? I figured it's remote enough from the engine compartment that it

                    How about shorting the switch to car horn ? An 'indirect' more
                    than 'benign' method. Customs officers ought to know about morse, and act
                    when the mercedes in the queue keeps honking - .... . ..-. -

                    Maybe not. But then there's the unavoidable escalation of
                    detecting tampering of gps... Some units might say "antenna short/open"
                    and gps-mouses would just stop saying anything at all. Aluminium
                    tape over antenna would be one step harder to detect.

                    Nice thought exercise anyway :)

                    Juha OH5NXO
                  • scott@opentrac.org
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                      > Maybe not. But then there's the unavoidable escalation of
                      > detecting tampering of gps... Some units might say "antenna
                      > short/open"
                      > and gps-mouses would just stop saying anything at all. Aluminium
                      > tape over antenna would be one step harder to detect.

                      There's still the remote command ability. At least until they get wise to
                      that and start clipping antennas...

                      Scott
                    • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                        The "geofences" might have a use as report triggers (or blockers!);
                        circling closed garages and any other black holes. Little reward from lots
                        of cpu cycles, but, again, just a thought.

                        Juha OH5NXO
                      • scott@opentrac.org
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                          Actually, for rectangular areas that are orthogonal to the coordinate plane,
                          there's not much processing involved. Each GPS coordinate is already
                          converted to a 32-bit integer format, so it's just a matter of seeing if
                          your coordinate pair falls between two corners. And that only has to be
                          done every second or two, when a new position comes in.

                          I'll probably do that eventually as part of the scripting system. I plan to
                          set aside one page of flash (512 bytes) for script code, so you could fit a
                          number of geofence checks in there.

                          Scott

                        • Wes johnston
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                            Perhaps defining multiple orthogonal areas?  A 2 point line suits me ... or a parallelagram... If you look at the coast of SC, it runs approx 45 degrees to the north and east.  A orthogonal box just isn't gunna catch my balloon before it hits water.

                            Wes
                            Actually, for rectangular areas that are orthogonal to the coordinate plane,
                            there's not much processing involved.  Each GPS coordinate is already
                            converted to a 32-bit integer format,  so it's just a matter of seeing if
                            your coordinate pair falls between two corners.  And that only has to be
                            done every second or two, when a new position comes in.

                            I'll probably do that eventually as part of the scripting system.  I plan to
                            set aside one page of flash (512 bytes) for script code, so you could fit a
                            number of geofence checks in there.

                            Scott

                          • Tyson S.
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                              Sounds like your looking for a polygon like the GIS guys use, or a
                              multipoint line than can trace along something like a coastline.

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 4, 2006
                                On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Wes johnston wrote:

                                > approx 45 degrees to the north and east. A orthogonal box just isn't
                                > gunna catch my balloon before it hits water.

                                IIRC, Scott mentioned support of great-circle distance calculation.
                                If that will be scriptable, many local contours could be approximated
                                using distance to far far away point (or few points).
                                In your case, Madagascar ? :)

                                It might work with flat-earth-model too.

                                Juha, OH5NXO