Re: Help with set up!

  • Rod Bartlett
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 8, 2009
      Here is the link for the Garmin Serial cable.

      https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=601

      Rod - N8QVR

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry" <ki6nrf@...> wrote:

      > I ordered the Tracker 2(OT2m), along with the Serial Splitter Cable
      and
      > Yaesu/Vertex Speaker Mic Cable. I have a Laptop loaded with UI-
      View32
      > and mapping software. The laptop is USB only so I bought a Serial
      > USB adapter. My GPS is a Garmin 60csx and I have a USB cable, could
      > use a Serial-USB adpater or do I need a serial cable for the GPS.
      Do
      > they make one for my 60csx? Would it be easier to use a
      Serial "puck
      > type" GPS unit? Suggestion on brand would be helpful.
      > The radio is a Yaesu FT-60 or A FT-7800. I really want to use the
      FT-60.
      > My question is how do I hook all this up. I want to use the laptop,
      not
      > the Garmin 60csx to view the APRS on maps. What other cable(s)
      should I
      > buy. I know everyone wants to push the Nuvi 350 setup and I really
      > think it's a great way to go but I really want to use the laptop.
      I'm
      > using this experience to build my knowledge on APRS, so in the
      future I
      > can build a weather station and trackers. Thanks everyone for there
      > help so far.
      > My E-mail is KI6NRF@... if you have any pictures or diagrams they
      > would be helpfull also.

    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 8, 2009
        Jerry KI6NRF wrote...

        > I ordered the Tracker 2(OT2m), along with the Serial Splitter Cable
        > and Yaesu/Vertex Speaker Mic Cable. I have a Laptop loaded with
        > UI-View32 and mapping software. The laptop is USB only so I bought a
        > Serial to USB adapter. My GPS is a Garmin 60csx and I have a USB
        > cable, could I use a Serial-USB adapter or do I need a serial cable
        > for the GPS. Do they make one for my 60csx?

        There are a lot of "it all depends" type of answers to your questions.
        If UI-View will always be running, I would connect the T2 to UI-View.
        That will require a USB to serial adapter. I would connect the 60CSX
        with a USB cable. Set the GPS to NMEA mode. As far as I know, you could
        also use Garmin's Spanner software to convert Garmin mode to NMEA and
        create a virtual com port. Of course, you could also get Garmin's serial
        cable and another USB to serial adapter.

        > Would it be easier to use a Serial "puck type" GPS unit? Suggestion on
        > brand would be helpful.

        If you were using it with UI-View, I would suggest a puck type GPS that
        is natively USB. If you were using it with the Tracker 2 and wanted a
        display, I would suggest using the 60CSx. If you were using it with the
        Tracker 2 as a tracker (no laptop) and didn't want a display, I would
        suggest the ADS-GM1 GPS receiver that Scott is selling. I just got one
        and I'm completely amazed
        at how quickly it gets a lock, even in extremely adverse conditions. The
        first time it was powered up, it only took a minute or two. In adverse
        conditions (in basement, lots of snow on the roof, lots of trees outside
        the only window etc. it got a lock in 30 seconds. Upstairs or outdoors,
        it takes just seconds. It sure beats the GPS 18 that I am using
        elsewhere. It sometimes doesn't get a lock for about 5-10 minutes. That
        could be a factor of the large filter capacitor on the radio power
        input. I understand the GPS 18 doesn't like it when the voltage goes
        down slowly.

        https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=85

        > The radio is a Yaesu FT-60 or A FT-7800. I really want to use the
        > FT-60.

        The FT-60 should be fine if 5W will do the job.

        > My question is how do I hook all this up. I want to use the laptop,
        > not the Garmin 60csx to view the APRS on maps.

        I would get a USB non-display GPS receiver for UI-View. It will be
        powered by the USB port. It's small and cheap you can bang it around and
        not worry about scratching the display. Any make that outputs NMEA and
        has a driver to create a virtual com port 1-8 will be just fine.

        > What other cable(s) should I buy. I know everyone wants to push the
        > Nuvi 350 setup and I really think it's a great way to go but I really
        > want to use the laptop.

        I just got a Nuvi 350 and I'm thrilled with it. As good as it will be
        for mobile use, if I could have a laptop beside me with UI-View on it, I
        would do that. If you already have a Tracker 2, keep your eyes open for
        a good deal on a Nuvi 350. You could use it with the T2 when you didn't
        want to drag the laptop along. Scott has the cables to connect the Nuvi
        to the T2.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      • Jerry
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 8, 2009
          > If UI-View will always be running, I would connect the T2 to UI-View.

          Yes I plan to use Ui-view on my laptop "alway"

          I ordered the splitter cable. I will be buying the garmin serial cable
          this weekend. With ui-view32 do I plug the GPS into the TNC or
          computer. I order the splitter cable to hook both computer and GPS to
          the TNC??? is this right
          https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?
          cPath=21&products_id=93&osCsid=t6lmmgk9l77gga1dfqbu67m9l3
          "If you were using it with UI-View, I would suggest a puck type GPS
          that is natively USB. If you were using it with the Tracker 2 and
          wanted a display, I would suggest using the 60CSx."

          I have no clue what "natively USB" means.

          I really thank you for the help.
        • Broncus
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 9, 2009
            >> I would suggest a puck type GPS that is natively USB.

            > I have no clue what "natively USB" means.

            It means it plugs into a USB port on a PC only. There are quite a few
            on the market. It doens't look like Argent had on e though, but it is
            early and I may have missed it.
          • Randy Love
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 9, 2009
              On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Broncus <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

              >>> I would suggest a puck type GPS that is natively USB.
              >
              >> I have no clue what "natively USB" means.
              >
              > It means it plugs into a USB port on a PC only. There are quite a few
              > on the market. It doens't look like Argent had on e though, but it is
              > early and I may have missed it.

              Yep, Scott sells one:

              Deluo Universal GPS PRO SiRF Star III
              https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=61

              In order to use it, you have to buy or make an adapter. He sells both
              a DB-9 and USB adapter for this GPS.

              DB-9 adapter for Deluo GPS
              http://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=32

              USB adapter for Deluo GPS
              https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=33
              He even had the link for the driver for it on this same page.

              T2-135 adapter for Deluo GPS
              https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=54

              I have the DB-9 and USB adapters, so this little puck GPS is very
              flexible. I've used it direct into my PC with USB adapter, and direct
              into an OT+ with the DB-9 adapter.

              The GPS works great. Locks quickly and keeps the lock even in fairly
              heavy urban and wooded areas.
              A little more expensive than his other puck GPS, but more flexible
              because of the adapter options.
              And, darn it, now that I have a T2-135 in an Alinco, I should get the
              other adapter too! Time to make another order with Scott, as soon as
              I find the other list of stuff I wanted to get from him! :)

              Randy
              WF5X
            • Rudolf Benner
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 9, 2009
                There are other adapters available from the manufacturer.

                I have one, it works great.

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Love" <rlove31@...> wrote:

                > >> I have no clue what "natively USB" means.
                > >
                > > It means it plugs into a USB port on a PC only. There are quite a
                few
                > > on the market. It doens't look like Argent had on e though, but
                it is
                > > early and I may have missed it.
                >
                > Yep, Scott sells one:
                >
                > Deluo Universal GPS PRO SiRF Star III
                > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=61
                >
                > In order to use it, you have to buy or make an adapter. He sells
                both
                > a DB-9 and USB adapter for this GPS.
                >
                > DB-9 adapter for Deluo GPS
                > http://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=32
                >
                > USB adapter for Deluo GPS
                > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=33
                > He even had the link for the driver for it on this same page.
                >
                > T2-135 adapter for Deluo GPS
                > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=54
                >
                > I have the DB-9 and USB adapters, so this little puck GPS is very
                > flexible. I've used it direct into my PC with USB adapter, and
                direct
                > into an OT+ with the DB-9 adapter.
                >
                > The GPS works great. Locks quickly and keeps the lock even in fairly
                > heavy urban and wooded areas.
                > A little more expensive than his other puck GPS, but more flexible
                > because of the adapter options.
                > And, darn it, now that I have a T2-135 in an Alinco, I should get
                the
                > other adapter too! Time to make another order with Scott, as soon
                as
                > I find the other list of stuff I wanted to get from him! :)
                >
                > Randy
                > WF5X

              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 9, 2009
                  Jerry KI6NRF wrote...

                  > Yes I plan to use UI-View on my laptop "alway"

                  In which case, you will want UI-View to "run the show". The Tracker2
                  will be in KISS mode. The GPS receiver will connect to the computer...
                  at least that's the way I would do it. Perhaps someone else would
                  differ... e.g. let the Tracker 2 run the show and you would have
                  SmartBeaconing. I've never tried this as I have a T2-135 and not a T2.
                  See below. UI-View doesn't have "real" SmartBeaconing, but with a GPS
                  connected, it can beacon every X minutes (make it 10 minutes for mobile
                  use) and every Y km or miles. It doesn't do corner pegging like
                  SmartBeaconing does. However, if you turn a corner and park, you could
                  hit F9 a couple of times to force it to beacon.

                  > I ordered the splitter cable. I will be buying the Garmin serial cable
                  > this weekend. With UI-View32 do I plug the GPS into the TNC or
                  > computer. I order the splitter cable to hook both computer and GPS to
                  > the TNC??? is this right
                  > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.phpcPath=21&products_id=93&osCsid=t6lmmgk9l77gga1dfqbu67m9l3

                  Perhaps someone that's actually using the splitter cable should comment.
                  With this arrangement, does the GPS connect (via the splitter) to the T2
                  and it beacons on its own (independently of UI-View) and the other side
                  of the splitter feeds the GPS output also to the PC? Or does the T2
                  "pass through" the NMEA data for UI-View to use?

                  As I described the arrangement above, you would need just one RS-232
                  port on the PC... whether a "real" serial port or via a USB to serial
                  adapter. The Tracker 2 would connect to it. The GPS receiver would
                  connect to a USB port on the PC... no adapter needed if the GPS receiver
                  had a USB port on it.

                  Reading the manual, the two RS-232 ports on the T2 (OT2M) are on the
                  same DE-9 connector, so if you need to access both ports, the splitter
                  cable could be used. You need a null modem adapter or cable to connect
                  to a PC. In the case of a T2-135, a straight (not null) cable is used.

                  Again, perhaps someone that is using a splitter cable could comment.

                  > I have no clue what "natively USB" means.

                  I'm referring to a GPS receiver that connects directly to a USB port on
                  the computer. No adapters required. The USB port powers the GPS
                  receiver... at least in the case of "puck" type USB connected GPS
                  receivers.

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                • Randy Love
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 9, 2009
                    On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
                    > I'm referring to a GPS receiver that connects directly to a USB port on
                    > the computer. No adapters required. The USB port powers the GPS
                    > receiver... at least in the case of "puck" type USB connected GPS
                    > receivers.

                    The Deluo GPS has a 6-pin mini-Din connector on it, so you have to buy
                    or make an adapter to use it..
                    unless, of course, you wanted to chop that mini-din off and put on a
                    DB-9 connector. The USB adapter interfaces with the GPS and powers the
                    puck via the USB port, sending NMEA 4800 sentences to the virtual com
                    port associated with the USB adapter. A DB-9 solution would require
                    +5VDC on Pin 4 of the DB-9 connector and would require a physical com
                    port on the computer in order to be used with UI-View. This same DB-9
                    connector could be plugged directly into a OT2m or OT+ without
                    external power concerns as they both supply +5VDC on DB-9 Pin 4.

                    Yes, as Keith states, there are several USB GPS pucks out there that
                    could be used otherwise. But, I'm not aware of any other GPS puck as
                    flexible with ready made cables/adapters as the Deluo GPS puck that
                    Scott sells.

                    Randy
                    WF5X
                  • Keith VE7GDH
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 10, 2009
                      Randy WF5X wrote...

                      > Yes, as Keith states, there are several USB GPS pucks out there that
                      > could be used otherwise. But, I'm not aware of any other GPS puck as
                      > flexible with ready made cables/adapters as the Deluo GPS puck that
                      > Scott sells.

                      I don't think I was aware of the USB adapter to go with the Deluo
                      Universal GPS PRO SiRF Star III. That and a regular serial adapter
                      would indeed make it very flexible... connect direct to a USB-only
                      PC or to an OT etc.

                      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                    • Rudolf Benner
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 10, 2009
                        I have the adapter for the DR-135, the USB adapter for the OT2m, and
                        the USB adapter for the PC. Other adapters available include the
                        D700/D710. Just checked their website, its been changed, they had more.

                        I could have bought the cheaper offering from Scott, but I needed the
                        versatility.

                        > Randy WF5X wrote...
                        >
                        > > Yes, as Keith states, there are several USB GPS pucks out there that
                        > > could be used otherwise. But, I'm not aware of any other GPS puck as
                        > > flexible with ready made cables/adapters as the Deluo GPS puck that
                        > > Scott sells.
                        >
                        > I don't think I was aware of the USB adapter to go with the Deluo
                        > Universal GPS PRO SiRF Star III. That and a regular serial adapter
                        > would indeed make it very flexible... connect direct to a USB-only
                        > PC or to an OT etc.
                        >
                        > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                      • Tom Twist
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 10, 2009
                          I have broken the touch screen (not the LCD) on my Nüvi 350.

                          Any tips for where I can get a spare for a decent price?

                          I've seen them on eBay, but they're either too expensive,
                          $59 + $34.99 shipping, or no shipping outside US.

                          (With VAT and handling, it would cost me $127, and I paid $250
                          for the whole unit).

                          Tom, LB8X