Re: [tracker2] Re: LCD View

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
      The LCD code doesn't take a ton of space, but yeah, it does complicate
      some things a little. Formatting the data for display will probably
      take the most space.

      I really want something with a nice housing and integrated buttons
      that'll look nice on a car dash or equipment rack.

      Scott

      Patrick wrote:

      > Was there not a fork in the OT1 firmware which would output to a LCD?
      > An option for the output in the config program would likely be the
      > limiting factor since Scott's always running into space limits storing
      > all the config the values we all want. But if code space were available
      > it shouldn't be that hard to tweak the waypoint output routine to output
      > instead to a serial LCD display as it would be displaying data it
      > already has stored for standard waypoint output....
      >
      > The other option of course would be a simple microcontroller project
      > which would convert the waypoint output from the OT to a display format
      > for any of the lcds available in surplus for next to nothing.. A PicAxe
      > 18 could likely be used which would put the build cost at around 8$ over
      > the cost of the LCD.... *shrug* BGMicro has 2x24 lcd's for a whole 4$
      > so you're looking at what, 12$ and a little bit of coding?

      > touf_toufik wrote:

      > > about the

      > > on the

      > > without

      > > the air

      > >> You could easily build or purchase an LCD device that would plug into
      > >> the OT2 to allow viewing of the data being spewed out the serial port.
      > >> Here's what I found in a 1 minute Google search... the 20 X 4 modules
      > >> would work okay for the project, and are $35 to $38 USD...
      > >> http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004
      > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>
      > >>
      > >> James
      > >> VE6SRV
      > >>

      > > The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
      > > on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
      > > callsign etc.. correctly).
      > >
      > > And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to see data
      > > but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
      > > connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.
      > >

      > > Thanks again for your help
      > > Ragards

    • touf_toufik
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
        Scott,

        I post two photos of TT4 display with APRS DATA, in file section
        (n_a.jpg and DSC_0012.jpg)

        What do you think about this display :
        http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-TMF-KL.html

        I know it's not easy, I am not electronic Engenering but in the group
        i think a lot of members can help you.

        Toufik, F0DEI

        > The LCD code doesn't take a ton of space, but yeah, it does complicate
        > some things a little. Formatting the data for display will probably
        > take the most space.
        >
        > I really want something with a nice housing and integrated buttons
        > that'll look nice on a car dash or equipment rack.
        >
        > Scott
        >
        > Patrick wrote:
        > >

        > > Was there not a fork in the OT1 firmware which would output to a LCD?
        > > An option for the output in the config program would likely be the
        > > limiting factor since Scott's always running into space limits storing
        > > all the config the values we all want. But if code space were
        available
        > > it shouldn't be that hard to tweak the waypoint output routine to
        output
        > > instead to a serial LCD display as it would be displaying data it
        > > already has stored for standard waypoint output....
        > >
        > > The other option of course would be a simple microcontroller project
        > > which would convert the waypoint output from the OT to a display
        format
        > > for any of the lcds available in surplus for next to nothing.. A
        PicAxe
        > > 18 could likely be used which would put the build cost at around
        8$ over
        > > the cost of the LCD.... *shrug* BGMicro has 2x24 lcd's for a whole 4$
        > > so you're looking at what, 12$ and a little bit of coding?

        > > touf_toufik wrote:
        > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

        > > > about the

        > > > on the

        > > > without

        > > > the air

        > > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>

        > > > The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
        > > > on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
        > > > callsign etc.. correctly).
        > > >
        > > > And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to
        see data
        > > > but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
        > > > connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.
        > > >

        > > > Thanks again for your help
        > > > Ragards

      • touf_toufik
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
          and here you find the panel :
          http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
            I've seen that one, and some other variants. It's more expensive than
            the other one, and still needs a housing.

            Still, it might be worth checking out at least as an option to let
            people build their own setups. One nice thing about that display is
            that the characters are 'gapless', so you can use custom characters to
            effectively make a small region of the screen a bitmap display. A
            compass rose indicating direction to a station would be a good example.
            You can see in the picture that they've done that with their logo.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
              Which is great if you're mounting it in a PC case. Not so good for a
              dashboard.

              Scott

              touf_toufik wrote:

              > and here you find the panel :
              > http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html
              > <http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html>

              > "touf_toufik" <f0dei@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Scott,
              > >
              > > I post two photos of TT4 display with APRS DATA, in file section
              > > (n_a.jpg and DSC_0012.jpg)
              > >

              > > What do you think about this display :
              > > http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-TMF-KL.html
              > <http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-TMF-KL.html>
              > >
              > > I know it's not easy, I am not electronic Engenering but in the group
              > > i think a lot of members can help you.
              > >
              > > Toufik, F0DEI

              > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > The LCD code doesn't take a ton of space, but yeah, it does
              > complicate
              > > > some things a little. Formatting the data for display will probably
              > > > take the most space.
              > > >
              > > > I really want something with a nice housing and integrated buttons
              > > > that'll look nice on a car dash or equipment rack.
              > > >
              > > > Scott

              > LCD?
              > storing
              > > available
              > > output

              > > format
              > > PicAxe
              > > 8$ over
              > whole 4$

              > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

              > > display.

              > > nice to

              > > screen to

              > monitor

              > mode,

              > > connect a

              > > plug into
              > > serial port.
              > > modules
              > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>
              > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>>

              > > see data
              > without

            • Wes Johnston, AI4PX
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                It sounds to me like you want a ham hud connected to the OT2.  www.hamhud.net
                Wes
                ---
                It may be necessary temporarily to accept a lesser evil, but one must never label a necessary evil as good.

                On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 8:50 AM, touf_toufik <f0dei@...> wrote:

                Hi to all,

                I'am interested by setup a Digipeater on my location.

                I want to purchase a tracker like OT2 or Tinitrack4 view display.

                I prefer OT2 tracker, but the addon display on TT4 is very nice to
                control raw data on the air directly.

                It's possible in futur developement of OT2 to add a display screen to
                see APRS packet ?

                Happy new year and good DX's
                Toufik, F0DEI

              • k4nnw
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Wes Johnston, AI4PX" <wes@...> wrote:

                  > It sounds to me like you want a ham hud connected to the OT2.
                  > www.hamhud.net
                  > Wes

                  Yeah... what he said. That's the setup I have running at the house, albeit without digipeating.
                  When I get back home this weekend, I'll mess around with that and see how it behaves, but I
                  don't see where that would be any problem. With the HamHUD, you gain ability to compose
                  and send messages, as well as scroll through previous stations received (up to 40, methinks).
                  I don't remember if the TT4's display will show this, but the HamHUD will display how far
                  away the station is and in what direction. It'll also show mobile station speed and heading,
                  weather station temp, and wind info, as well as status messages.
                  73, and let us know what you ultimately do and how it works out for you,
                  Kenny
                  K4NNW
                • touf_toufik
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
                    Kenny,

                    TT4 display the last received packet only, TT4 display show altitude,
                    heading etc..
                    When available in future firmware update it will be possible to send
                    message via PS/2 keyboard directly from TT4 without computer.

                    I see HamHud II on there web site but at this time it's not available.

                    OT2 must also have there own display to control APRS/Weather/message
                    data without computer of course.

                    I hope in futur this addon will be available.

                    Toufik,
                    F0DEI