Re: [tracker2] Re: LCD View

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
      On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM, touf_toufik <f0dei@...> wrote:

      > The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
      > on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
      > callsign etc.. correctly).

      What do you define as a "real" APRS packet? What do you mean by MIC-E
      packet (position and callsign etc. correctly)?

      I had one of my OT2s connected to my computer using TeraTerm, and I
      was able to view all of the real APRS packets that it could hear on my
      terminal screen. I'm going to assume that you are wanting to convert
      Mic-e packets and compressed packets into human readable form.

      > And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to see data
      > but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
      > connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.

      Yes, you can see any packets that are decoded by the OT2, not only
      those that are digipeated. The OT2 even shows you digipeater echos of
      your own packets. If you want a list similar to an MHEARD list like
      can be found in a Kantronics KPC-3 and it's ilk, then you're going to
      need to add more functionality. That's probably not going to be built
      into the OT2...

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
        This is the sort of thing I was hoping to use for a T2 display:

        http://www.mini-box.com/PicoLCD-4X20-Sideshow

        It's got a backlit LCD and enough buttons to make navigation and data
        entry bearable, and it's relatively cheap and looks nice.

        The trouble with this particular model is that it's USB only. I got one
        and tore it apart, and it's a single PCB with chip-on-board construction
        for the LCD controller, so it wouldn't be easy to duplicate. I talked
        to the designer and he wasn't interested in adding serial to future
        versions.

        If anyone knows of a similar device with a serial interface, let me
        know. I'm trying to avoid the trap the HamHUD project fell into where
        fabrication of the case was a major portion of the system cost, and it
        still came out kind of clunky.

        In the meantime, it shouldn't be too hard to add LCD support to the T2
        using the MON08 header on the front of the board. It'll involve adding
        in a resistor at least, and maybe a resistor and capacitor if it's to
        use software-based contrast control.

        What should it display, though? Especially if there's no easy way to
        hook up buttons for controlling the display. I haven't been able to
        find any docs on what the TT4 actual does with the LCD.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
          The LCD code doesn't take a ton of space, but yeah, it does complicate
          some things a little. Formatting the data for display will probably
          take the most space.

          I really want something with a nice housing and integrated buttons
          that'll look nice on a car dash or equipment rack.

          Scott

          Patrick wrote:

          > Was there not a fork in the OT1 firmware which would output to a LCD?
          > An option for the output in the config program would likely be the
          > limiting factor since Scott's always running into space limits storing
          > all the config the values we all want. But if code space were available
          > it shouldn't be that hard to tweak the waypoint output routine to output
          > instead to a serial LCD display as it would be displaying data it
          > already has stored for standard waypoint output....
          >
          > The other option of course would be a simple microcontroller project
          > which would convert the waypoint output from the OT to a display format
          > for any of the lcds available in surplus for next to nothing.. A PicAxe
          > 18 could likely be used which would put the build cost at around 8$ over
          > the cost of the LCD.... *shrug* BGMicro has 2x24 lcd's for a whole 4$
          > so you're looking at what, 12$ and a little bit of coding?

          > touf_toufik wrote:

          > > about the

          > > on the

          > > without

          > > the air

          > >> You could easily build or purchase an LCD device that would plug into
          > >> the OT2 to allow viewing of the data being spewed out the serial port.
          > >> Here's what I found in a 1 minute Google search... the 20 X 4 modules
          > >> would work okay for the project, and are $35 to $38 USD...
          > >> http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004
          > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>
          > >>
          > >> James
          > >> VE6SRV
          > >>

          > > The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
          > > on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
          > > callsign etc.. correctly).
          > >
          > > And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to see data
          > > but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
          > > connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.
          > >

          > > Thanks again for your help
          > > Ragards

        • touf_toufik
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
            Scott,

            I post two photos of TT4 display with APRS DATA, in file section
            (n_a.jpg and DSC_0012.jpg)

            What do you think about this display :
            http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-TMF-KL.html

            I know it's not easy, I am not electronic Engenering but in the group
            i think a lot of members can help you.

            Toufik, F0DEI

            > The LCD code doesn't take a ton of space, but yeah, it does complicate
            > some things a little. Formatting the data for display will probably
            > take the most space.
            >
            > I really want something with a nice housing and integrated buttons
            > that'll look nice on a car dash or equipment rack.
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > Patrick wrote:
            > >

            > > Was there not a fork in the OT1 firmware which would output to a LCD?
            > > An option for the output in the config program would likely be the
            > > limiting factor since Scott's always running into space limits storing
            > > all the config the values we all want. But if code space were
            available
            > > it shouldn't be that hard to tweak the waypoint output routine to
            output
            > > instead to a serial LCD display as it would be displaying data it
            > > already has stored for standard waypoint output....
            > >
            > > The other option of course would be a simple microcontroller project
            > > which would convert the waypoint output from the OT to a display
            format
            > > for any of the lcds available in surplus for next to nothing.. A
            PicAxe
            > > 18 could likely be used which would put the build cost at around
            8$ over
            > > the cost of the LCD.... *shrug* BGMicro has 2x24 lcd's for a whole 4$
            > > so you're looking at what, 12$ and a little bit of coding?

            > > touf_toufik wrote:
            > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

            > > > about the

            > > > on the

            > > > without

            > > > the air

            > > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>

            > > > The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
            > > > on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
            > > > callsign etc.. correctly).
            > > >
            > > > And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to
            see data
            > > > but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
            > > > connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.
            > > >

            > > > Thanks again for your help
            > > > Ragards

          • touf_toufik
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
              and here you find the panel :
              http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                I've seen that one, and some other variants. It's more expensive than
                the other one, and still needs a housing.

                Still, it might be worth checking out at least as an option to let
                people build their own setups. One nice thing about that display is
                that the characters are 'gapless', so you can use custom characters to
                effectively make a small region of the screen a bitmap display. A
                compass rose indicating direction to a station would be a good example.
                You can see in the picture that they've done that with their logo.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                  Which is great if you're mounting it in a PC case. Not so good for a
                  dashboard.

                  Scott

                  touf_toufik wrote:

                  > and here you find the panel :
                  > http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html
                  > <http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html>

                  > "touf_toufik" <f0dei@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Scott,
                  > >
                  > > I post two photos of TT4 display with APRS DATA, in file section
                  > > (n_a.jpg and DSC_0012.jpg)
                  > >

                  > > What do you think about this display :
                  > > http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-TMF-KL.html
                  > <http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-TMF-KL.html>
                  > >
                  > > I know it's not easy, I am not electronic Engenering but in the group
                  > > i think a lot of members can help you.
                  > >
                  > > Toufik, F0DEI

                  > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > The LCD code doesn't take a ton of space, but yeah, it does
                  > complicate
                  > > > some things a little. Formatting the data for display will probably
                  > > > take the most space.
                  > > >
                  > > > I really want something with a nice housing and integrated buttons
                  > > > that'll look nice on a car dash or equipment rack.
                  > > >
                  > > > Scott

                  > LCD?
                  > storing
                  > > available
                  > > output

                  > > format
                  > > PicAxe
                  > > 8$ over
                  > whole 4$

                  > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                  > > display.

                  > > nice to

                  > > screen to

                  > monitor

                  > mode,

                  > > connect a

                  > > plug into
                  > > serial port.
                  > > modules
                  > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>
                  > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>>

                  > > see data
                  > without

                • Wes Johnston, AI4PX
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                    It sounds to me like you want a ham hud connected to the OT2.  www.hamhud.net
                    Wes
                    ---
                    It may be necessary temporarily to accept a lesser evil, but one must never label a necessary evil as good.

                    On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 8:50 AM, touf_toufik <f0dei@...> wrote:

                    Hi to all,

                    I'am interested by setup a Digipeater on my location.

                    I want to purchase a tracker like OT2 or Tinitrack4 view display.

                    I prefer OT2 tracker, but the addon display on TT4 is very nice to
                    control raw data on the air directly.

                    It's possible in futur developement of OT2 to add a display screen to
                    see APRS packet ?

                    Happy new year and good DX's
                    Toufik, F0DEI

                  • k4nnw
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
                      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Wes Johnston, AI4PX" <wes@...> wrote:

                      > It sounds to me like you want a ham hud connected to the OT2.
                      > www.hamhud.net
                      > Wes

                      Yeah... what he said. That's the setup I have running at the house, albeit without digipeating.
                      When I get back home this weekend, I'll mess around with that and see how it behaves, but I
                      don't see where that would be any problem. With the HamHUD, you gain ability to compose
                      and send messages, as well as scroll through previous stations received (up to 40, methinks).
                      I don't remember if the TT4's display will show this, but the HamHUD will display how far
                      away the station is and in what direction. It'll also show mobile station speed and heading,
                      weather station temp, and wind info, as well as status messages.
                      73, and let us know what you ultimately do and how it works out for you,
                      Kenny
                      K4NNW
                    • touf_toufik
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
                        Kenny,

                        TT4 display the last received packet only, TT4 display show altitude,
                        heading etc..
                        When available in future firmware update it will be possible to send
                        message via PS/2 keyboard directly from TT4 without computer.

                        I see HamHud II on there web site but at this time it's not available.

                        OT2 must also have there own display to control APRS/Weather/message
                        data without computer of course.

                        I hope in futur this addon will be available.

                        Toufik,
                        F0DEI