Re: [tracker2] LCD View

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
      On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 7:54 AM, J. Lance Cotton <groups@...> wrote:
      > touf_toufik wrote:
      >> I'am interested by setup a Digipeater on my location.
      >>
      >> I want to purchase a tracker like OT2 or Tinitrack4 view display.
      >>
      >> I prefer OT2 tracker, but the addon display on TT4 is very nice to
      >> control raw data on the air directly.
      >>
      >> It's possible in futur developement of OT2 to add a display screen to
      >> see APRS packet ?
      >
      > The LCD on the TT4 doesn't let you control or change anything about the
      > data -- it just lets you see it.
      >
      > The OT2 can be connected to a PC through a serial port to monitor on the
      > air data either through TNC2-style command mode or in KISS mode, without
      > interrupting the digipeating function. So you could always connect a
      > laptop or palmtop computer with a serial port to monitor the on the air
      > data.

      You could easily build or purchase an LCD device that would plug into
      the OT2 to allow viewing of the data being spewed out the serial port.
      Here's what I found in a 1 minute Google search... the 20 X 4 modules
      would work okay for the project, and are $35 to $38 USD...
      http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004

    • touf_toufik
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "James Ewen" <ve6srv@...> wrote:

        > On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 7:54 AM, J. Lance Cotton <groups@...> wrote:
        > > touf_toufik wrote:
        > >> I'am interested by setup a Digipeater on my location.
        > >>
        > >> I want to purchase a tracker like OT2 or Tinitrack4 view display.
        > >>
        > >> I prefer OT2 tracker, but the addon display on TT4 is very nice to
        > >> control raw data on the air directly.
        > >>
        > >> It's possible in futur developement of OT2 to add a display screen to
        > >> see APRS packet ?
        > >
        > > The LCD on the TT4 doesn't let you control or change anything
        about the
        > > data -- it just lets you see it.
        > >
        > > The OT2 can be connected to a PC through a serial port to monitor
        on the
        > > air data either through TNC2-style command mode or in KISS mode,
        without
        > > interrupting the digipeating function. So you could always connect a
        > > laptop or palmtop computer with a serial port to monitor the on
        the air
        > > data.
        >
        > You could easily build or purchase an LCD device that would plug into
        > the OT2 to allow viewing of the data being spewed out the serial port.
        > Here's what I found in a 1 minute Google search... the 20 X 4 modules
        > would work okay for the project, and are $35 to $38 USD...
        > http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004
        >
        > James
        > VE6SRV

        The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
        on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
        callsign etc.. correctly).

        And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to see data
        but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
        connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.

        Thanks again for your help
        Ragards
      • Patrick
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
          Was there not a fork in the OT1 firmware which would output to a LCD?
          An option for the output in the config program would likely be the
          limiting factor since Scott's always running into space limits storing
          all the config the values we all want. But if code space were available
          it shouldn't be that hard to tweak the waypoint output routine to output
          instead to a serial LCD display as it would be displaying data it
          already has stored for standard waypoint output....

          The other option of course would be a simple microcontroller project
          which would convert the waypoint output from the OT to a display format
          for any of the lcds available in surplus for next to nothing.. A PicAxe
          18 could likely be used which would put the build cost at around 8$ over
          the cost of the LCD.... *shrug* BGMicro has 2x24 lcd's for a whole 4$
          so you're looking at what, 12$ and a little bit of coding?

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
            On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM, touf_toufik <f0dei@...> wrote:

            > The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
            > on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
            > callsign etc.. correctly).

            What do you define as a "real" APRS packet? What do you mean by MIC-E
            packet (position and callsign etc. correctly)?

            I had one of my OT2s connected to my computer using TeraTerm, and I
            was able to view all of the real APRS packets that it could hear on my
            terminal screen. I'm going to assume that you are wanting to convert
            Mic-e packets and compressed packets into human readable form.

            > And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to see data
            > but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
            > connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.

            Yes, you can see any packets that are decoded by the OT2, not only
            those that are digipeated. The OT2 even shows you digipeater echos of
            your own packets. If you want a list similar to an MHEARD list like
            can be found in a Kantronics KPC-3 and it's ilk, then you're going to
            need to add more functionality. That's probably not going to be built
            into the OT2...

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
              This is the sort of thing I was hoping to use for a T2 display:

              http://www.mini-box.com/PicoLCD-4X20-Sideshow

              It's got a backlit LCD and enough buttons to make navigation and data
              entry bearable, and it's relatively cheap and looks nice.

              The trouble with this particular model is that it's USB only. I got one
              and tore it apart, and it's a single PCB with chip-on-board construction
              for the LCD controller, so it wouldn't be easy to duplicate. I talked
              to the designer and he wasn't interested in adding serial to future
              versions.

              If anyone knows of a similar device with a serial interface, let me
              know. I'm trying to avoid the trap the HamHUD project fell into where
              fabrication of the case was a major portion of the system cost, and it
              still came out kind of clunky.

              In the meantime, it shouldn't be too hard to add LCD support to the T2
              using the MON08 header on the front of the board. It'll involve adding
              in a resistor at least, and maybe a resistor and capacitor if it's to
              use software-based contrast control.

              What should it display, though? Especially if there's no easy way to
              hook up buttons for controlling the display. I haven't been able to
              find any docs on what the TT4 actual does with the LCD.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                The LCD code doesn't take a ton of space, but yeah, it does complicate
                some things a little. Formatting the data for display will probably
                take the most space.

                I really want something with a nice housing and integrated buttons
                that'll look nice on a car dash or equipment rack.

                Scott

                Patrick wrote:

                > Was there not a fork in the OT1 firmware which would output to a LCD?
                > An option for the output in the config program would likely be the
                > limiting factor since Scott's always running into space limits storing
                > all the config the values we all want. But if code space were available
                > it shouldn't be that hard to tweak the waypoint output routine to output
                > instead to a serial LCD display as it would be displaying data it
                > already has stored for standard waypoint output....
                >
                > The other option of course would be a simple microcontroller project
                > which would convert the waypoint output from the OT to a display format
                > for any of the lcds available in surplus for next to nothing.. A PicAxe
                > 18 could likely be used which would put the build cost at around 8$ over
                > the cost of the LCD.... *shrug* BGMicro has 2x24 lcd's for a whole 4$
                > so you're looking at what, 12$ and a little bit of coding?

                > touf_toufik wrote:

                > > about the

                > > on the

                > > without

                > > the air

                > >> You could easily build or purchase an LCD device that would plug into
                > >> the OT2 to allow viewing of the data being spewed out the serial port.
                > >> Here's what I found in a 1 minute Google search... the 20 X 4 modules
                > >> would work okay for the project, and are $35 to $38 USD...
                > >> http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004
                > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>
                > >>
                > >> James
                > >> VE6SRV
                > >>

                > > The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
                > > on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
                > > callsign etc.. correctly).
                > >
                > > And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to see data
                > > but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
                > > connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.
                > >

                > > Thanks again for your help
                > > Ragards

              • touf_toufik
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                  Scott,

                  I post two photos of TT4 display with APRS DATA, in file section
                  (n_a.jpg and DSC_0012.jpg)

                  What do you think about this display :
                  http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-TMF-KL.html

                  I know it's not easy, I am not electronic Engenering but in the group
                  i think a lot of members can help you.

                  Toufik, F0DEI

                  > The LCD code doesn't take a ton of space, but yeah, it does complicate
                  > some things a little. Formatting the data for display will probably
                  > take the most space.
                  >
                  > I really want something with a nice housing and integrated buttons
                  > that'll look nice on a car dash or equipment rack.
                  >
                  > Scott
                  >
                  > Patrick wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Was there not a fork in the OT1 firmware which would output to a LCD?
                  > > An option for the output in the config program would likely be the
                  > > limiting factor since Scott's always running into space limits storing
                  > > all the config the values we all want. But if code space were
                  available
                  > > it shouldn't be that hard to tweak the waypoint output routine to
                  output
                  > > instead to a serial LCD display as it would be displaying data it
                  > > already has stored for standard waypoint output....
                  > >
                  > > The other option of course would be a simple microcontroller project
                  > > which would convert the waypoint output from the OT to a display
                  format
                  > > for any of the lcds available in surplus for next to nothing.. A
                  PicAxe
                  > > 18 could likely be used which would put the build cost at around
                  8$ over
                  > > the cost of the LCD.... *shrug* BGMicro has 2x24 lcd's for a whole 4$
                  > > so you're looking at what, 12$ and a little bit of coding?

                  > > touf_toufik wrote:
                  > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                  > > > about the

                  > > > on the

                  > > > without

                  > > > the air

                  > > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>

                  > > > The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
                  > > > on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
                  > > > callsign etc.. correctly).
                  > > >
                  > > > And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to
                  see data
                  > > > but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
                  > > > connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.
                  > > >

                  > > > Thanks again for your help
                  > > > Ragards

                • touf_toufik
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                    and here you find the panel :
                    http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                      I've seen that one, and some other variants. It's more expensive than
                      the other one, and still needs a housing.

                      Still, it might be worth checking out at least as an option to let
                      people build their own setups. One nice thing about that display is
                      that the characters are 'gapless', so you can use custom characters to
                      effectively make a small region of the screen a bitmap display. A
                      compass rose indicating direction to a station would be a good example.
                      You can see in the picture that they've done that with their logo.

                      Scott

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                        Which is great if you're mounting it in a PC case. Not so good for a
                        dashboard.

                        Scott

                        touf_toufik wrote:

                        > and here you find the panel :
                        > http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html
                        > <http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html>

                        > "touf_toufik" <f0dei@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Scott,
                        > >
                        > > I post two photos of TT4 display with APRS DATA, in file section
                        > > (n_a.jpg and DSC_0012.jpg)
                        > >

                        > > What do you think about this display :
                        > > http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-TMF-KL.html
                        > <http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-TMF-KL.html>
                        > >
                        > > I know it's not easy, I am not electronic Engenering but in the group
                        > > i think a lot of members can help you.
                        > >
                        > > Toufik, F0DEI

                        > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > The LCD code doesn't take a ton of space, but yeah, it does
                        > complicate
                        > > > some things a little. Formatting the data for display will probably
                        > > > take the most space.
                        > > >
                        > > > I really want something with a nice housing and integrated buttons
                        > > > that'll look nice on a car dash or equipment rack.
                        > > >
                        > > > Scott

                        > LCD?
                        > storing
                        > > available
                        > > output

                        > > format
                        > > PicAxe
                        > > 8$ over
                        > whole 4$

                        > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                        > > display.

                        > > nice to

                        > > screen to

                        > monitor

                        > mode,

                        > > connect a

                        > > plug into
                        > > serial port.
                        > > modules
                        > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>
                        > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>>

                        > > see data
                        > without

                      • Wes Johnston, AI4PX
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                          It sounds to me like you want a ham hud connected to the OT2.  www.hamhud.net
                          Wes
                          ---
                          It may be necessary temporarily to accept a lesser evil, but one must never label a necessary evil as good.

                          On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 8:50 AM, touf_toufik <f0dei@...> wrote:

                          Hi to all,

                          I'am interested by setup a Digipeater on my location.

                          I want to purchase a tracker like OT2 or Tinitrack4 view display.

                          I prefer OT2 tracker, but the addon display on TT4 is very nice to
                          control raw data on the air directly.

                          It's possible in futur developement of OT2 to add a display screen to
                          see APRS packet ?

                          Happy new year and good DX's
                          Toufik, F0DEI

                        • k4nnw
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
                            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Wes Johnston, AI4PX" <wes@...> wrote:

                            > It sounds to me like you want a ham hud connected to the OT2.
                            > www.hamhud.net
                            > Wes

                            Yeah... what he said. That's the setup I have running at the house, albeit without digipeating.
                            When I get back home this weekend, I'll mess around with that and see how it behaves, but I
                            don't see where that would be any problem. With the HamHUD, you gain ability to compose
                            and send messages, as well as scroll through previous stations received (up to 40, methinks).
                            I don't remember if the TT4's display will show this, but the HamHUD will display how far
                            away the station is and in what direction. It'll also show mobile station speed and heading,
                            weather station temp, and wind info, as well as status messages.
                            73, and let us know what you ultimately do and how it works out for you,
                            Kenny
                            K4NNW
                          • touf_toufik
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
                              Kenny,

                              TT4 display the last received packet only, TT4 display show altitude,
                              heading etc..
                              When available in future firmware update it will be possible to send
                              message via PS/2 keyboard directly from TT4 without computer.

                              I see HamHud II on there web site but at this time it's not available.

                              OT2 must also have there own display to control APRS/Weather/message
                              data without computer of course.

                              I hope in futur this addon will be available.

                              Toufik,
                              F0DEI