Re: [tracker2] LCD View

  • J. Lance Cotton
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
      touf_toufik wrote:
      > I'am interested by setup a Digipeater on my location.
      >
      > I want to purchase a tracker like OT2 or Tinitrack4 view display.
      >
      > I prefer OT2 tracker, but the addon display on TT4 is very nice to
      > control raw data on the air directly.
      >
      > It's possible in futur developement of OT2 to add a display screen to
      > see APRS packet ?

      The LCD on the TT4 doesn't let you control or change anything about the
      data -- it just lets you see it.

      The OT2 can be connected to a PC through a serial port to monitor on the
      air data either through TNC2-style command mode or in KISS mode, without
      interrupting the digipeating function. So you could always connect a
      laptop or palmtop computer with a serial port to monitor the on the air
      data.

      -Lance KJ5O

      --
      J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
      joe@...
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
        My pick would be the OT2m.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
          On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 7:54 AM, J. Lance Cotton <groups@...> wrote:
          > touf_toufik wrote:
          >> I'am interested by setup a Digipeater on my location.
          >>
          >> I want to purchase a tracker like OT2 or Tinitrack4 view display.
          >>
          >> I prefer OT2 tracker, but the addon display on TT4 is very nice to
          >> control raw data on the air directly.
          >>
          >> It's possible in futur developement of OT2 to add a display screen to
          >> see APRS packet ?
          >
          > The LCD on the TT4 doesn't let you control or change anything about the
          > data -- it just lets you see it.
          >
          > The OT2 can be connected to a PC through a serial port to monitor on the
          > air data either through TNC2-style command mode or in KISS mode, without
          > interrupting the digipeating function. So you could always connect a
          > laptop or palmtop computer with a serial port to monitor the on the air
          > data.

          You could easily build or purchase an LCD device that would plug into
          the OT2 to allow viewing of the data being spewed out the serial port.
          Here's what I found in a 1 minute Google search... the 20 X 4 modules
          would work okay for the project, and are $35 to $38 USD...
          http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004

        • touf_toufik
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "James Ewen" <ve6srv@...> wrote:

            > On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 7:54 AM, J. Lance Cotton <groups@...> wrote:
            > > touf_toufik wrote:
            > >> I'am interested by setup a Digipeater on my location.
            > >>
            > >> I want to purchase a tracker like OT2 or Tinitrack4 view display.
            > >>
            > >> I prefer OT2 tracker, but the addon display on TT4 is very nice to
            > >> control raw data on the air directly.
            > >>
            > >> It's possible in futur developement of OT2 to add a display screen to
            > >> see APRS packet ?
            > >
            > > The LCD on the TT4 doesn't let you control or change anything
            about the
            > > data -- it just lets you see it.
            > >
            > > The OT2 can be connected to a PC through a serial port to monitor
            on the
            > > air data either through TNC2-style command mode or in KISS mode,
            without
            > > interrupting the digipeating function. So you could always connect a
            > > laptop or palmtop computer with a serial port to monitor the on
            the air
            > > data.
            >
            > You could easily build or purchase an LCD device that would plug into
            > the OT2 to allow viewing of the data being spewed out the serial port.
            > Here's what I found in a 1 minute Google search... the 20 X 4 modules
            > would work okay for the project, and are $35 to $38 USD...
            > http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004
            >
            > James
            > VE6SRV

            The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
            on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
            callsign etc.. correctly).

            And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to see data
            but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
            connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.

            Thanks again for your help
            Ragards
          • Patrick
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
              Was there not a fork in the OT1 firmware which would output to a LCD?
              An option for the output in the config program would likely be the
              limiting factor since Scott's always running into space limits storing
              all the config the values we all want. But if code space were available
              it shouldn't be that hard to tweak the waypoint output routine to output
              instead to a serial LCD display as it would be displaying data it
              already has stored for standard waypoint output....

              The other option of course would be a simple microcontroller project
              which would convert the waypoint output from the OT to a display format
              for any of the lcds available in surplus for next to nothing.. A PicAxe
              18 could likely be used which would put the build cost at around 8$ over
              the cost of the LCD.... *shrug* BGMicro has 2x24 lcd's for a whole 4$
              so you're looking at what, 12$ and a little bit of coding?

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM, touf_toufik <f0dei@...> wrote:

                > The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
                > on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
                > callsign etc.. correctly).

                What do you define as a "real" APRS packet? What do you mean by MIC-E
                packet (position and callsign etc. correctly)?

                I had one of my OT2s connected to my computer using TeraTerm, and I
                was able to view all of the real APRS packets that it could hear on my
                terminal screen. I'm going to assume that you are wanting to convert
                Mic-e packets and compressed packets into human readable form.

                > And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to see data
                > but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
                > connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.

                Yes, you can see any packets that are decoded by the OT2, not only
                those that are digipeated. The OT2 even shows you digipeater echos of
                your own packets. If you want a list similar to an MHEARD list like
                can be found in a Kantronics KPC-3 and it's ilk, then you're going to
                need to add more functionality. That's probably not going to be built
                into the OT2...

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                  This is the sort of thing I was hoping to use for a T2 display:

                  http://www.mini-box.com/PicoLCD-4X20-Sideshow

                  It's got a backlit LCD and enough buttons to make navigation and data
                  entry bearable, and it's relatively cheap and looks nice.

                  The trouble with this particular model is that it's USB only. I got one
                  and tore it apart, and it's a single PCB with chip-on-board construction
                  for the LCD controller, so it wouldn't be easy to duplicate. I talked
                  to the designer and he wasn't interested in adding serial to future
                  versions.

                  If anyone knows of a similar device with a serial interface, let me
                  know. I'm trying to avoid the trap the HamHUD project fell into where
                  fabrication of the case was a major portion of the system cost, and it
                  still came out kind of clunky.

                  In the meantime, it shouldn't be too hard to add LCD support to the T2
                  using the MON08 header on the front of the board. It'll involve adding
                  in a resistor at least, and maybe a resistor and capacitor if it's to
                  use software-based contrast control.

                  What should it display, though? Especially if there's no easy way to
                  hook up buttons for controlling the display. I haven't been able to
                  find any docs on what the TT4 actual does with the LCD.

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                    The LCD code doesn't take a ton of space, but yeah, it does complicate
                    some things a little. Formatting the data for display will probably
                    take the most space.

                    I really want something with a nice housing and integrated buttons
                    that'll look nice on a car dash or equipment rack.

                    Scott

                    Patrick wrote:

                    > Was there not a fork in the OT1 firmware which would output to a LCD?
                    > An option for the output in the config program would likely be the
                    > limiting factor since Scott's always running into space limits storing
                    > all the config the values we all want. But if code space were available
                    > it shouldn't be that hard to tweak the waypoint output routine to output
                    > instead to a serial LCD display as it would be displaying data it
                    > already has stored for standard waypoint output....
                    >
                    > The other option of course would be a simple microcontroller project
                    > which would convert the waypoint output from the OT to a display format
                    > for any of the lcds available in surplus for next to nothing.. A PicAxe
                    > 18 could likely be used which would put the build cost at around 8$ over
                    > the cost of the LCD.... *shrug* BGMicro has 2x24 lcd's for a whole 4$
                    > so you're looking at what, 12$ and a little bit of coding?

                    > touf_toufik wrote:

                    > > about the

                    > > on the

                    > > without

                    > > the air

                    > >> You could easily build or purchase an LCD device that would plug into
                    > >> the OT2 to allow viewing of the data being spewed out the serial port.
                    > >> Here's what I found in a 1 minute Google search... the 20 X 4 modules
                    > >> would work okay for the project, and are $35 to $38 USD...
                    > >> http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004
                    > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>
                    > >>
                    > >> James
                    > >> VE6SRV
                    > >>

                    > > The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
                    > > on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
                    > > callsign etc.. correctly).
                    > >
                    > > And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to see data
                    > > but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
                    > > connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.
                    > >

                    > > Thanks again for your help
                    > > Ragards

                  • touf_toufik
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                      Scott,

                      I post two photos of TT4 display with APRS DATA, in file section
                      (n_a.jpg and DSC_0012.jpg)

                      What do you think about this display :
                      http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-TMF-KL.html

                      I know it's not easy, I am not electronic Engenering but in the group
                      i think a lot of members can help you.

                      Toufik, F0DEI

                      > The LCD code doesn't take a ton of space, but yeah, it does complicate
                      > some things a little. Formatting the data for display will probably
                      > take the most space.
                      >
                      > I really want something with a nice housing and integrated buttons
                      > that'll look nice on a car dash or equipment rack.
                      >
                      > Scott
                      >
                      > Patrick wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Was there not a fork in the OT1 firmware which would output to a LCD?
                      > > An option for the output in the config program would likely be the
                      > > limiting factor since Scott's always running into space limits storing
                      > > all the config the values we all want. But if code space were
                      available
                      > > it shouldn't be that hard to tweak the waypoint output routine to
                      output
                      > > instead to a serial LCD display as it would be displaying data it
                      > > already has stored for standard waypoint output....
                      > >
                      > > The other option of course would be a simple microcontroller project
                      > > which would convert the waypoint output from the OT to a display
                      format
                      > > for any of the lcds available in surplus for next to nothing.. A
                      PicAxe
                      > > 18 could likely be used which would put the build cost at around
                      8$ over
                      > > the cost of the LCD.... *shrug* BGMicro has 2x24 lcd's for a whole 4$
                      > > so you're looking at what, 12$ and a little bit of coding?

                      > > touf_toufik wrote:
                      > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                      > > > about the

                      > > > on the

                      > > > without

                      > > > the air

                      > > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>

                      > > > The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
                      > > > on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
                      > > > callsign etc.. correctly).
                      > > >
                      > > > And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to
                      see data
                      > > > but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
                      > > > connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.
                      > > >

                      > > > Thanks again for your help
                      > > > Ragards

                    • touf_toufik
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                        and here you find the panel :
                        http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                          I've seen that one, and some other variants. It's more expensive than
                          the other one, and still needs a housing.

                          Still, it might be worth checking out at least as an option to let
                          people build their own setups. One nice thing about that display is
                          that the characters are 'gapless', so you can use custom characters to
                          effectively make a small region of the screen a bitmap display. A
                          compass rose indicating direction to a station would be a good example.
                          You can see in the picture that they've done that with their logo.

                          Scott

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                            Which is great if you're mounting it in a PC case. Not so good for a
                            dashboard.

                            Scott

                            touf_toufik wrote:

                            > and here you find the panel :
                            > http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html
                            > <http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html>

                            > "touf_toufik" <f0dei@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Scott,
                            > >
                            > > I post two photos of TT4 display with APRS DATA, in file section
                            > > (n_a.jpg and DSC_0012.jpg)
                            > >

                            > > What do you think about this display :
                            > > http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-TMF-KL.html
                            > <http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-TMF-KL.html>
                            > >
                            > > I know it's not easy, I am not electronic Engenering but in the group
                            > > i think a lot of members can help you.
                            > >
                            > > Toufik, F0DEI

                            > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > The LCD code doesn't take a ton of space, but yeah, it does
                            > complicate
                            > > > some things a little. Formatting the data for display will probably
                            > > > take the most space.
                            > > >
                            > > > I really want something with a nice housing and integrated buttons
                            > > > that'll look nice on a car dash or equipment rack.
                            > > >
                            > > > Scott

                            > LCD?
                            > storing
                            > > available
                            > > output

                            > > format
                            > > PicAxe
                            > > 8$ over
                            > whole 4$

                            > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                            > > display.

                            > > nice to

                            > > screen to

                            > monitor

                            > mode,

                            > > connect a

                            > > plug into
                            > > serial port.
                            > > modules
                            > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>
                            > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>>

                            > > see data
                            > without

                          • Wes Johnston, AI4PX
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                              It sounds to me like you want a ham hud connected to the OT2.  www.hamhud.net
                              Wes
                              ---
                              It may be necessary temporarily to accept a lesser evil, but one must never label a necessary evil as good.

                              On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 8:50 AM, touf_toufik <f0dei@...> wrote:

                              Hi to all,

                              I'am interested by setup a Digipeater on my location.

                              I want to purchase a tracker like OT2 or Tinitrack4 view display.

                              I prefer OT2 tracker, but the addon display on TT4 is very nice to
                              control raw data on the air directly.

                              It's possible in futur developement of OT2 to add a display screen to
                              see APRS packet ?

                              Happy new year and good DX's
                              Toufik, F0DEI

                            • k4nnw
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
                                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Wes Johnston, AI4PX" <wes@...> wrote:

                                > It sounds to me like you want a ham hud connected to the OT2.
                                > www.hamhud.net
                                > Wes

                                Yeah... what he said. That's the setup I have running at the house, albeit without digipeating.
                                When I get back home this weekend, I'll mess around with that and see how it behaves, but I
                                don't see where that would be any problem. With the HamHUD, you gain ability to compose
                                and send messages, as well as scroll through previous stations received (up to 40, methinks).
                                I don't remember if the TT4's display will show this, but the HamHUD will display how far
                                away the station is and in what direction. It'll also show mobile station speed and heading,
                                weather station temp, and wind info, as well as status messages.
                                73, and let us know what you ultimately do and how it works out for you,
                                Kenny
                                K4NNW
                              • touf_toufik
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
                                  Kenny,

                                  TT4 display the last received packet only, TT4 display show altitude,
                                  heading etc..
                                  When available in future firmware update it will be possible to send
                                  message via PS/2 keyboard directly from TT4 without computer.

                                  I see HamHud II on there web site but at this time it's not available.

                                  OT2 must also have there own display to control APRS/Weather/message
                                  data without computer of course.

                                  I hope in futur this addon will be available.

                                  Toufik,
                                  F0DEI