LCD View

  • touf_toufik
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi to all,

      I'am interested by setup a Digipeater on my location.

      I want to purchase a tracker like OT2 or Tinitrack4 view display.

      I prefer OT2 tracker, but the addon display on TT4 is very nice to
      control raw data on the air directly.

      It's possible in futur developement of OT2 to add a display screen to
      see APRS packet ?

      Happy new year and good DX's
      Toufik, F0DEI
    • J. Lance Cotton
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
        touf_toufik wrote:
        > I'am interested by setup a Digipeater on my location.
        >
        > I want to purchase a tracker like OT2 or Tinitrack4 view display.
        >
        > I prefer OT2 tracker, but the addon display on TT4 is very nice to
        > control raw data on the air directly.
        >
        > It's possible in futur developement of OT2 to add a display screen to
        > see APRS packet ?

        The LCD on the TT4 doesn't let you control or change anything about the
        data -- it just lets you see it.

        The OT2 can be connected to a PC through a serial port to monitor on the
        air data either through TNC2-style command mode or in KISS mode, without
        interrupting the digipeating function. So you could always connect a
        laptop or palmtop computer with a serial port to monitor the on the air
        data.

        -Lance KJ5O

        --
        J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
        joe@...
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
          My pick would be the OT2m.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
            On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 7:54 AM, J. Lance Cotton <groups@...> wrote:
            > touf_toufik wrote:
            >> I'am interested by setup a Digipeater on my location.
            >>
            >> I want to purchase a tracker like OT2 or Tinitrack4 view display.
            >>
            >> I prefer OT2 tracker, but the addon display on TT4 is very nice to
            >> control raw data on the air directly.
            >>
            >> It's possible in futur developement of OT2 to add a display screen to
            >> see APRS packet ?
            >
            > The LCD on the TT4 doesn't let you control or change anything about the
            > data -- it just lets you see it.
            >
            > The OT2 can be connected to a PC through a serial port to monitor on the
            > air data either through TNC2-style command mode or in KISS mode, without
            > interrupting the digipeating function. So you could always connect a
            > laptop or palmtop computer with a serial port to monitor the on the air
            > data.

            You could easily build or purchase an LCD device that would plug into
            the OT2 to allow viewing of the data being spewed out the serial port.
            Here's what I found in a 1 minute Google search... the 20 X 4 modules
            would work okay for the project, and are $35 to $38 USD...
            http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004

          • touf_toufik
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "James Ewen" <ve6srv@...> wrote:

              > On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 7:54 AM, J. Lance Cotton <groups@...> wrote:
              > > touf_toufik wrote:
              > >> I'am interested by setup a Digipeater on my location.
              > >>
              > >> I want to purchase a tracker like OT2 or Tinitrack4 view display.
              > >>
              > >> I prefer OT2 tracker, but the addon display on TT4 is very nice to
              > >> control raw data on the air directly.
              > >>
              > >> It's possible in futur developement of OT2 to add a display screen to
              > >> see APRS packet ?
              > >
              > > The LCD on the TT4 doesn't let you control or change anything
              about the
              > > data -- it just lets you see it.
              > >
              > > The OT2 can be connected to a PC through a serial port to monitor
              on the
              > > air data either through TNC2-style command mode or in KISS mode,
              without
              > > interrupting the digipeating function. So you could always connect a
              > > laptop or palmtop computer with a serial port to monitor the on
              the air
              > > data.
              >
              > You could easily build or purchase an LCD device that would plug into
              > the OT2 to allow viewing of the data being spewed out the serial port.
              > Here's what I found in a 1 minute Google search... the 20 X 4 modules
              > would work okay for the project, and are $35 to $38 USD...
              > http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004
              >
              > James
              > VE6SRV

              The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
              on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
              callsign etc.. correctly).

              And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to see data
              but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
              connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.

              Thanks again for your help
              Ragards
            • Patrick
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                Was there not a fork in the OT1 firmware which would output to a LCD?
                An option for the output in the config program would likely be the
                limiting factor since Scott's always running into space limits storing
                all the config the values we all want. But if code space were available
                it shouldn't be that hard to tweak the waypoint output routine to output
                instead to a serial LCD display as it would be displaying data it
                already has stored for standard waypoint output....

                The other option of course would be a simple microcontroller project
                which would convert the waypoint output from the OT to a display format
                for any of the lcds available in surplus for next to nothing.. A PicAxe
                18 could likely be used which would put the build cost at around 8$ over
                the cost of the LCD.... *shrug* BGMicro has 2x24 lcd's for a whole 4$
                so you're looking at what, 12$ and a little bit of coding?

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                  On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM, touf_toufik <f0dei@...> wrote:

                  > The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
                  > on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
                  > callsign etc.. correctly).

                  What do you define as a "real" APRS packet? What do you mean by MIC-E
                  packet (position and callsign etc. correctly)?

                  I had one of my OT2s connected to my computer using TeraTerm, and I
                  was able to view all of the real APRS packets that it could hear on my
                  terminal screen. I'm going to assume that you are wanting to convert
                  Mic-e packets and compressed packets into human readable form.

                  > And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to see data
                  > but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
                  > connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.

                  Yes, you can see any packets that are decoded by the OT2, not only
                  those that are digipeated. The OT2 even shows you digipeater echos of
                  your own packets. If you want a list similar to an MHEARD list like
                  can be found in a Kantronics KPC-3 and it's ilk, then you're going to
                  need to add more functionality. That's probably not going to be built
                  into the OT2...

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                    This is the sort of thing I was hoping to use for a T2 display:

                    http://www.mini-box.com/PicoLCD-4X20-Sideshow

                    It's got a backlit LCD and enough buttons to make navigation and data
                    entry bearable, and it's relatively cheap and looks nice.

                    The trouble with this particular model is that it's USB only. I got one
                    and tore it apart, and it's a single PCB with chip-on-board construction
                    for the LCD controller, so it wouldn't be easy to duplicate. I talked
                    to the designer and he wasn't interested in adding serial to future
                    versions.

                    If anyone knows of a similar device with a serial interface, let me
                    know. I'm trying to avoid the trap the HamHUD project fell into where
                    fabrication of the case was a major portion of the system cost, and it
                    still came out kind of clunky.

                    In the meantime, it shouldn't be too hard to add LCD support to the T2
                    using the MON08 header on the front of the board. It'll involve adding
                    in a resistor at least, and maybe a resistor and capacitor if it's to
                    use software-based contrast control.

                    What should it display, though? Especially if there's no easy way to
                    hook up buttons for controlling the display. I haven't been able to
                    find any docs on what the TT4 actual does with the LCD.

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                      The LCD code doesn't take a ton of space, but yeah, it does complicate
                      some things a little. Formatting the data for display will probably
                      take the most space.

                      I really want something with a nice housing and integrated buttons
                      that'll look nice on a car dash or equipment rack.

                      Scott

                      Patrick wrote:

                      > Was there not a fork in the OT1 firmware which would output to a LCD?
                      > An option for the output in the config program would likely be the
                      > limiting factor since Scott's always running into space limits storing
                      > all the config the values we all want. But if code space were available
                      > it shouldn't be that hard to tweak the waypoint output routine to output
                      > instead to a serial LCD display as it would be displaying data it
                      > already has stored for standard waypoint output....
                      >
                      > The other option of course would be a simple microcontroller project
                      > which would convert the waypoint output from the OT to a display format
                      > for any of the lcds available in surplus for next to nothing.. A PicAxe
                      > 18 could likely be used which would put the build cost at around 8$ over
                      > the cost of the LCD.... *shrug* BGMicro has 2x24 lcd's for a whole 4$
                      > so you're looking at what, 12$ and a little bit of coding?

                      > touf_toufik wrote:

                      > > about the

                      > > on the

                      > > without

                      > > the air

                      > >> You could easily build or purchase an LCD device that would plug into
                      > >> the OT2 to allow viewing of the data being spewed out the serial port.
                      > >> Here's what I found in a 1 minute Google search... the 20 X 4 modules
                      > >> would work okay for the project, and are $35 to $38 USD...
                      > >> http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004
                      > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>
                      > >>
                      > >> James
                      > >> VE6SRV
                      > >>

                      > > The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
                      > > on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
                      > > callsign etc.. correctly).
                      > >
                      > > And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to see data
                      > > but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
                      > > connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.
                      > >

                      > > Thanks again for your help
                      > > Ragards

                    • touf_toufik
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                        Scott,

                        I post two photos of TT4 display with APRS DATA, in file section
                        (n_a.jpg and DSC_0012.jpg)

                        What do you think about this display :
                        http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-TMF-KL.html

                        I know it's not easy, I am not electronic Engenering but in the group
                        i think a lot of members can help you.

                        Toufik, F0DEI

                        > The LCD code doesn't take a ton of space, but yeah, it does complicate
                        > some things a little. Formatting the data for display will probably
                        > take the most space.
                        >
                        > I really want something with a nice housing and integrated buttons
                        > that'll look nice on a car dash or equipment rack.
                        >
                        > Scott
                        >
                        > Patrick wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Was there not a fork in the OT1 firmware which would output to a LCD?
                        > > An option for the output in the config program would likely be the
                        > > limiting factor since Scott's always running into space limits storing
                        > > all the config the values we all want. But if code space were
                        available
                        > > it shouldn't be that hard to tweak the waypoint output routine to
                        output
                        > > instead to a serial LCD display as it would be displaying data it
                        > > already has stored for standard waypoint output....
                        > >
                        > > The other option of course would be a simple microcontroller project
                        > > which would convert the waypoint output from the OT to a display
                        format
                        > > for any of the lcds available in surplus for next to nothing.. A
                        PicAxe
                        > > 18 could likely be used which would put the build cost at around
                        8$ over
                        > > the cost of the LCD.... *shrug* BGMicro has 2x24 lcd's for a whole 4$
                        > > so you're looking at what, 12$ and a little bit of coding?

                        > > touf_toufik wrote:
                        > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                        <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                        > > > about the

                        > > > on the

                        > > > without

                        > > > the air

                        > > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>

                        > > > The problem is not to find a LCD device.Without firmware update
                        > > > on OT2 you can't see "real" APRS packet or MIC-E packet (position
                        > > > callsign etc.. correctly).
                        > > >
                        > > > And yes it's possible and easy to connect a laptop on OT2 to
                        see data
                        > > > but i think (sorry I am a newbie) with LCD you see quickly without
                        > > > connect anything the last digipeated station for exemple.
                        > > >

                        > > > Thanks again for your help
                        > > > Ragards

                      • touf_toufik
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                          and here you find the panel :
                          http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                            I've seen that one, and some other variants. It's more expensive than
                            the other one, and still needs a housing.

                            Still, it might be worth checking out at least as an option to let
                            people build their own setups. One nice thing about that display is
                            that the characters are 'gapless', so you can use custom characters to
                            effectively make a small region of the screen a bitmap display. A
                            compass rose indicating direction to a station would be a good example.
                            You can see in the picture that they've done that with their logo.

                            Scott

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                              Which is great if you're mounting it in a PC case. Not so good for a
                              dashboard.

                              Scott

                              touf_toufik wrote:

                              > and here you find the panel :
                              > http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html
                              > <http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635bracket/index.html>

                              > "touf_toufik" <f0dei@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Scott,
                              > >
                              > > I post two photos of TT4 display with APRS DATA, in file section
                              > > (n_a.jpg and DSC_0012.jpg)
                              > >

                              > > What do you think about this display :
                              > > http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-TMF-KL.html
                              > <http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-TMF-KL.html>
                              > >
                              > > I know it's not easy, I am not electronic Engenering but in the group
                              > > i think a lot of members can help you.
                              > >
                              > > Toufik, F0DEI

                              > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > The LCD code doesn't take a ton of space, but yeah, it does
                              > complicate
                              > > > some things a little. Formatting the data for display will probably
                              > > > take the most space.
                              > > >
                              > > > I really want something with a nice housing and integrated buttons
                              > > > that'll look nice on a car dash or equipment rack.
                              > > >
                              > > > Scott

                              > LCD?
                              > storing
                              > > available
                              > > output

                              > > format
                              > > PicAxe
                              > > 8$ over
                              > whole 4$

                              > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                              > > display.

                              > > nice to

                              > > screen to

                              > monitor

                              > mode,

                              > > connect a

                              > > plug into
                              > > serial port.
                              > > modules
                              > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>
                              > <http://www.siliconcraft.net/products.htm#SC2004>>

                              > > see data
                              > without

                            • Wes Johnston, AI4PX
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
                                It sounds to me like you want a ham hud connected to the OT2.  www.hamhud.net
                                Wes
                                ---
                                It may be necessary temporarily to accept a lesser evil, but one must never label a necessary evil as good.

                                On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 8:50 AM, touf_toufik <f0dei@...> wrote:

                                Hi to all,

                                I'am interested by setup a Digipeater on my location.

                                I want to purchase a tracker like OT2 or Tinitrack4 view display.

                                I prefer OT2 tracker, but the addon display on TT4 is very nice to
                                control raw data on the air directly.

                                It's possible in futur developement of OT2 to add a display screen to
                                see APRS packet ?

                                Happy new year and good DX's
                                Toufik, F0DEI

                              • k4nnw
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
                                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Wes Johnston, AI4PX" <wes@...> wrote:

                                  > It sounds to me like you want a ham hud connected to the OT2.
                                  > www.hamhud.net
                                  > Wes

                                  Yeah... what he said. That's the setup I have running at the house, albeit without digipeating.
                                  When I get back home this weekend, I'll mess around with that and see how it behaves, but I
                                  don't see where that would be any problem. With the HamHUD, you gain ability to compose
                                  and send messages, as well as scroll through previous stations received (up to 40, methinks).
                                  I don't remember if the TT4's display will show this, but the HamHUD will display how far
                                  away the station is and in what direction. It'll also show mobile station speed and heading,
                                  weather station temp, and wind info, as well as status messages.
                                  73, and let us know what you ultimately do and how it works out for you,
                                  Kenny
                                  K4NNW
                                • touf_toufik
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
                                    Kenny,

                                    TT4 display the last received packet only, TT4 display show altitude,
                                    heading etc..
                                    When available in future firmware update it will be possible to send
                                    message via PS/2 keyboard directly from TT4 without computer.

                                    I see HamHud II on there web site but at this time it's not available.

                                    OT2 must also have there own display to control APRS/Weather/message
                                    data without computer of course.

                                    I hope in futur this addon will be available.

                                    Toufik,
                                    F0DEI