Re: [tracker2] Re: T2-135 Message ACK

    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 29, 2008
      > At some point Scott's going to bump up against firmware sizes that
      > will exceed chip capacity if we keep adding fixes to the current
      > firmware. It might be time to consider forking the current firmware
      > into a "dedicated digipeater" version, a "weather station" version, a
      > "mobile version", etc. This would allow more dedicated capacity for a
      > given application depending on the desired usage, and function could
      > be changed out with a simple firmware swap.

      The problem there is that (aside from complicating maintenance) there's
      no way to satisfy everyone with a finite number of combinations of
      features - they'll always want some combination that's not available.
      I'm trying to hold off on splitting the code as long as possible.

      Some of the rewrites I'm doing now *might* free up some space. Or make
      it worse, but at least make things easier to work with and add some new
      options. I went poking around and figured out that I can recompile the
      ANSI C libraries with some (poorly documented) options to help trim the
      size of the functions, at the expense of features and standards
      compliance. That might free up enough space to clean up some ugly kludges.