Re: [tracker2] Special T2 digi firmware?

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
      > Maybe think about increasing the code/RAM space to 10x what you
      > think you'll need for the higher-end TNC's? If I'm already paying

      The OT1+ HCS08 port was done to support a particular customer who needed
      a bunch of custom boards that'd run at 3.3 volts and have a TTL serial
      interface, and not so much for an immediate OT1+ replacement. I'll
      probably have some extras of that board that I can sell (I added some
      features so it's not entirely application-specific) if the support
      burden isn't too much.

      Otherwise, the HCS08 code will eventually move to the JM60 variant to
      get native USB support and that'll either replace the OT1+ at the low
      end or occupy a position between the OT1+ (which I'd like to keep since
      a lot of people want a through-hole kit) and the T2 or its successor.
      That's why I started the poll on the OpenTracker group about new feature
      priorities.

      > $90 for a TNC I'm willing to pay $95 or $100 for hardware that will
      > extend it's service life or allow it to grow in capability. I
      > wouldn't go this route with the OT1's but would for OT2's and up.

      I've been debating this. You can add a lot of DRAM for under $10, but
      that means significantly complicating the board layout - possibly
      requiring extra layers and increasing cost. Without external RAM, the
      only critical high-speed signals are a few easily-managed serial
      interfaces for the USB, Ethernet, SD card, and so forth. And the more
      stuff I add to this thing hardware-wise, the less likely it is I'll ever
      get it finished.

      The LPC2387 has 96k of internal RAM, so that's a huge step up from the
      2k on the Tracker2, even with the overhead of TCP, USB, and so forth.

      I do think I'll add a spot on the board for the same serial flash ICs
      I'm using on the simplex repeater, since I'm already buying those in
      quantity and the interface is simple. That'll give provide some extra
      storage space for static content like user interface elements for an
      internal webserver.

      > We've played around with FreeRTOS and a couple of others here. I'll
      > do some quick checking to see if there might be another open-source
      > RTOS option that might be interesting to you. I just remembered
      > that EtherNut was another but can't recall the third right now.

      I'm not totally committed to FreeRTOS, but it's the one I'm most
      familiar with.