Re: [tracker2] Re: Tracker2 and Xastir in KISS mode - no TX

  • J. Lance Cotton
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 2, 2008
      On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Curt, WE7U <archer@...> wrote:
      >> The laptop I'm trying to hook to it doesn't have AX25 configured (yet)
      >> - I've got another station running in that manner just as a soundmodem
      >> and it works great. Is it possible to use AX25 and NOT have to use a
      >> "soundmodem" ??
      > Yes, using a kiss-mode TNC. I've done this for a long time with a
      > variety of TNC's w/Linux. I'm not currently set up in this manner
      > 'cuz I don't need to share a TNC across multiple apps right now.

      To add to this:

      Soundmodem creates the ax25 network interfaces (sm0 or ax0, etc.) when
      it is running. The Linux AX.25 subsystem picks a line from the
      /etc/ax25/axports file which has a callsign-ssid that matches the
      callsign-ssid set up in the soundmodem.conf file.

      To do this using a serial KISS TNC instead of soundmodem, you use the
      "kissattach" command. Depending on your path, this may be in
      /usr/sbin/kissattach or /usr/local/sbin/kissattach. the `kissattach`
      command takes as one of its parameters a port name from the
      /etc/ax25/axports file, and so assigns the callsign-ssid that is
      defined in that line in the axports file.

      Note that you must assign an IP address to the network interface (ax0)
      created by the kissattach command. If you won't be using this for
      TCP/IP over AX.25, then set this to a dummy IP. I tend to use
      something like since that's in the hamradio block of IPs and
      I can guarantee that no one in my local area is using any of them.
      Take note that some services that run on modern Linux distributions
      these days bind to all network interfaces and send out broadcast
      messages. One is mdnsd, another is samba. You may wish to force these
      daemons to bind only to your ethernet interfaces or your new ax25
      network interface will be deluged with broadcast requests from these

      `kissattach` sets the serial line speed to the speed listed in the
      axports file and binds that serial port to the new ax25 network
      interface (ax0) and assumes a KISS TNC (or TNC in KISS mode) is
      attached there.

      Note that if you use an AX.25 interface in Xastir, you should 'setuid'
      xastir so that it can open the ax.25 interface as root, but reduce
      privileges to normal user when that is done: `chmod 4755

      (Many of you already know all this, but for the newcomers a refresher
      is helpful.)

      I personally have only had one problem with any USB serial dongles...
      I tend to use KeySpan dongles and find them to be of high quality.
      These USB-serial adapters keep their firmware in volatile memory on
      the device and when plugged into a computer need to receive the
      firmware from the host before they can begin working properly. One of
      my Ubuntu distros had a kernel driver that omitted this firmware as it
      was "non-free", so I had to patch and recompile the kernel to get the
      4-port KeySpan USB serial adapter to work. I have since upgraded
      in-place to Ubuntu 8, including a kernel upgrade and the adapter still
      works, so until I double-check, I assume they started including the
      firmware for KeySpan devices in the kernel builds.

      J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
      Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3.
      Eat the cookies.
    • Stephan mn tellaroli
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 31, 2009
        se vedl