Re: Tracker2 and Xastir in KISS mode - no TX

  • jeremygeeo
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 2, 2008
      > > The problem: At startup Xastir RX as expected; but when it goes to TX
      > > the packet never gets sent by the radio and then the unit no longer
      > > functions in RX. The unit seems to effectively "lock up" at that
      > > point, requiring a power-cycle to recover.
      >
      > What interface do you have configured in Xastir?

      I've been using the Serial KISS TNC

      > If you've set up AX.25 kernel networking configured/working then you
      > should use "AX25 TNC" in Xastir. This is the more complicated
      > setup. In this case the "listen" command when run as root should
      > see packets and the "beacon" command should cause a transmit. In
      > other words you can test out the receive w/o Xastir. This setup
      > allows you to share the TNC across many applications.

      The laptop I'm trying to hook to it doesn't have AX25 configured (yet)
      - I've got another station running in that manner just as a soundmodem
      and it works great. Is it possible to use AX25 and NOT have to use a
      "soundmodem" ?? I really like to simplicity of just hooking up the USB
      dongle to the serial cable for the TNC and I'm done. I only plan on
      using Xastir for the time being. I would be interested in learning
      more about this mode. Does the Tracker2 not run in KISS mode then??

      > If you only want to connect Xastir to the TNC (won't be sharing the
      > TNC with other apps) and don't have an AX.25 kernel networking port
      > configured then use the "Serial KISS TNC" interface instead. In
      > this case DO NOT enable the "Init KISS-mode on startup" button as
      > that's for a specific TNC used in Europe only.

      This is how I've been running it - I've tried it with and without the
      box checked; and have since learned to leave it unchecked as you've
      stated.

      > I'm using the "Serial KISS TNC" setup currently with a TNC-X at
      > home, but have used the "AX25 TNC" configuration before as well.

      I'm not familiar with the TNC-X.

      Thanks for your reply Curt!

      - Jeremy, KD0EAV
    • Stephan mn tellaroli