RE: [tracker2] Re: Configuration settings

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
      Thanks. But I have all that. I have re-installed the firmware a dozen times and then started all over with the configuration program and the terminal to make settings.
      My problem is that I have yet to find a set of settings that will work to get me to show up on APRS.FI.
      I had it working as a home station, with pre-set coordinates, when I used the Alinco card and UI-View32.
      I just never could get it to work as a stand alone.
      That's why I bought this T2-135 card.
      I have been unable to get this thing to show up at all.
      It beacons as programmed and I can hear the data packet when listening
      to another radio.
      It's just that APRS.fi does not SEE me.
      I do not know what setting is wrong.
      The book seems to be little help in locating the problem.

      Thanks,

      Dennis

      _____

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
        In order for APRS.FI to see it, there has to be an IGATE that hears
        it or is in the path.

        Look for VE3BDR-4, its a DR-135/T2-135. It shows up in the wrong
        location, other than that, its working fine. Just the Alinco Radio
        sitting on top of a power supply on a shelf in a garage, a small
        antenna on the roof. Email me off the list if you want help releasing
        the magic smoke.

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <k5gbt@...> wrote:

        > Thanks. But I have all that. I have re-installed the firmware a
        dozen times and then started all over with the configuration program
        and the terminal to make settings.
        > My problem is that I have yet to find a set of settings that will
        work to get me to show up on APRS.FI.
        > I had it working as a home station, with pre-set coordinates, when
        I used the Alinco card and UI-View32.
        > I just never could get it to work as a stand alone.
        > That's why I bought this T2-135 card.
        > I have been unable to get this thing to show up at all.
        > It beacons as programmed and I can hear the data packet when
        listening
        > to another radio.
        > It's just that APRS.fi does not SEE me.
        > I do not know what setting is wrong.
        > The book seems to be little help in locating the problem.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Dennis
        >

        > _____

        Behalf
        > Of Rudolf Benner
        > Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 9:32 AM
        > To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [tracker2] Re: Configuration settings
        >

        > You don't need anything else, just the DR-135T radio and the T2-135
        > board.
        >
        > The configuration program can be found on the Argent Data Systems
        > website. The manual is there too.
        >
        > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
        s.com,
        > "Dennis Vines" <k5gbt@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Is there a file somewhere giving the configuration settings
        needed to
        > > use this T2-135 board as a stand alone APRS system?
        > > Same question about the software command settings?
        > > I had no luck at getting the Alinco board to work as a stand
        alone.
        > > That is why I bought this board. I had the Alinco board working
        fine
        > > with UI-View as a home station. I never did get it to work as a
        stand
        > > alone. This board doesn't seem to work either way. Actually, the
        > board
        > > may be working but the settings don't. The board does beacon as I
        > > programmed it to. But whatever it sends no longer shows up on
        APRS.FI.
        > > Doesn't matter if I use UI-View or not. Any ideas?
        > > Dennis

      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
          Dennis K5GBT wrote...

          > Does anyone see anything wrong with these settings?

          Looks OK, but I see that you have a fixed location entered even though
          you are using a "car" symbol, and you are outputting received position
          reports as waypoints... to a GPS receiver that isn't there. Presumably
          the beacon every two minutes is just for testing. You could try
          increasing the TXDelay slightly to see if it makes any difference or
          not.

          www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?K5GBT-9

          However, you haven't been "heard" for 8 days and the last time you were
          heard, {UIV32N} was tacked on the end. Or is that a red herring...
          perhaps you used K5GBT-9 in UI-View in the past? Time to do some
          troubleshooting.

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
            Dennis,

            Yes, you can hear the data packet on another radio, but can a Digi and
            eventually an IGate hear the packet? Where are you located and what
            Digi/IGate are you expecting to gate the packet for you?

            UI-View may have been inserting your packets directly into APRS-IS
            (which is the bridge from you to aprs.fi), but to get there from the
            T2-135, an IGate somewhere down the line needs to hear you, decode the
            packet, and insert it into APRS-IS.

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

            PS. What callsign did you use with UI-View? That (assuming it was
            recent enough) will tell us where you are.

            Dennis wrote:

            > Thanks. But I have all that. I have re-installed the firmware a dozen
            > times and then started all over with the configuration program and the
            > terminal to make settings.
            > My problem is that I have yet to find a set of settings that will work
            > to get me to show up on APRS.FI.
            > I had it working as a home station, with pre-set coordinates, when I
            > used the Alinco card and UI-View32.
            > I just never could get it to work as a stand alone.
            > That's why I bought this T2-135 card.
            > I have been unable to get this thing to show up at all.
            > It beacons as programmed and I can hear the data packet when listening
            > to another radio.
            > It's just that APRS.fi does not SEE me.
            > I do not know what setting is wrong.
            > The book seems to be little help in locating the problem.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Dennis
            >
            > _____
            >
            > From: tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>

          • Broncus
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
              It appears MTMAG is clearly in range. I think that rules out an IGATE
              being close enough since the K5GBT-9 station appeared to work fine.

              Do you have a way to listen to raw packets. I don't mean audibly, but
              with another TNC? If the second TNC can decode packets, the deviation
              will be at least good enough for that. Plus, you can see the actual
              packet that was created and sent. I suspect there will be some clue.

              I had set up a fill-in digi recently and was wondering why I wasn't
              forwarding certain packets. When I was monitoring the packets, I
              realized my mistake. The mobile tracker had been set incorrectly. It
              was the monitoring that gave me the needed clues.

              Best regards,
              Fred

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Rudolf Benner" <benner@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > >
              > > > Is there a file somewhere giving the configuration settings
              > needed to
              > > > use this T2-135 board as a stand alone APRS system?
              > > > Same question about the software command settings?
              > > > I had no luck at getting the Alinco board to work as a stand
              > alone.
              > > > That is why I bought this board. I had the Alinco board working
              > fine
              > > > with UI-View as a home station. I never did get it to work as a
              > stand
              > > > alone. This board doesn't seem to work either way. Actually,
              the
              > > board
              > > > may be working but the settings don't. The board does beacon as
              > > > programmed it to. But whatever it sends no longer shows up on
              > APRS.FI.
              > > > Doesn't matter if I use UI-View or not. Any ideas?

            • Rudolf Benner
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
                Took your advice and increased TXdelay from 100 to 150.

                VE3BDR-4 Solar Digi (experiemental yet).

                Digi shuts down if temp and/voltage drop below setpoint. Tx stops if
                voltage goes to a lower setpoint. Temp and voltage in the beacon
                message as well as the status of the digi. PX-777/OT2m.

                > Dennis K5GBT wrote...
                >
                > > Does anyone see anything wrong with these settings?
                >
                > Looks OK, but I see that you have a fixed location entered even
                though
                > you are using a "car" symbol, and you are outputting received
                position
                > reports as waypoints... to a GPS receiver that isn't there.
                Presumably
                > the beacon every two minutes is just for testing. You could try
                > increasing the TXDelay slightly to see if it makes any difference or
                > not.
                >
                > www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?K5GBT-9
                >
                > However, you haven't been "heard" for 8 days and the last time you
                were
                > heard, {UIV32N} was tacked on the end. Or is that a red herring...
                > perhaps you used K5GBT-9 in UI-View in the past? Time to do some
                > troubleshooting.
                >
                > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

              • Dennis
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008

                    OK. I have changed the TXdelay to 200 and changed the Bbaud to AUTO. That fixed it. Thanks to everyone who helped. It is sometimes the simple things that get ignored and cause the problems. Check APRS.fi and track K5GBT-9 to see what it is doing. But ignore the reference to UIveiw32 as it is running as a stand alone unit at present.

                    Thanks again,

                    Dennis

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
                      On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Dennis <k5gbt@...> wrote:

                      > OK. I have changed the TXdelay to 200 and changed the Bbaud to AUTO. That
                      > fixed it. Thanks to everyone who helped. It is sometimes the simple things
                      > that get ignored and cause the problems. Check APRS.fi and track K5GBT-9 to
                      > see what it is doing.

                      Good to know you have it working... not that I really want to pee in
                      your cornflakes, but that local digipeater on Magazine Mountain is
                      going to be a pain in your backside.

                      It's an old KPC-3 v8.2, and is still set up with the old
                      RELAY/WIDE/TRACE settings. This means that if you are using WIDE1-1 as
                      your first hop, you're only going to get a single hop, as the v8.2
                      firmware doesn't mark the used path properly.

                      I also found other digis in your area that are still on the old
                      settings, and an aircraft using WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2 as an outgoing path.

                      Just be aware that the local APRS network is not going to respond
                      properly to your packets. At least not the way that most people are
                      going to tell you it should.