Configuration settings

  • Dennis Vines
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
      Is there a file somewhere giving the configuration settings needed to
      use this T2-135 board as a stand alone APRS system?
      Same question about the software command settings?
      I had no luck at getting the Alinco board to work as a stand alone.
      That is why I bought this board. I had the Alinco board working fine
      with UI-View as a home station. I never did get it to work as a stand
      alone. This board doesn't seem to work either way. Actually, the board
      may be working but the settings don't. The board does beacon as I
      programmed it to. But whatever it sends no longer shows up on APRS.FI.
      Doesn't matter if I use UI-View or not. Any ideas?
      Dennis
    • Rudolf Benner
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
        You don't need anything else, just the DR-135T radio and the T2-135
        board.

        The configuration program can be found on the Argent Data Systems
        website. The manual is there too.

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Vines" <k5gbt@...> wrote:

        > Is there a file somewhere giving the configuration settings needed to
        > use this T2-135 board as a stand alone APRS system?
        > Same question about the software command settings?
        > I had no luck at getting the Alinco board to work as a stand alone.
        > That is why I bought this board. I had the Alinco board working fine
        > with UI-View as a home station. I never did get it to work as a stand
        > alone. This board doesn't seem to work either way. Actually, the
        board
        > may be working but the settings don't. The board does beacon as I
        > programmed it to. But whatever it sends no longer shows up on APRS.FI.
        > Doesn't matter if I use UI-View or not. Any ideas?
        > Dennis

      • Dennis
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
          Thanks. But I have all that. I have re-installed the firmware a dozen times and then started all over with the configuration program and the terminal to make settings.
          My problem is that I have yet to find a set of settings that will work to get me to show up on APRS.FI.
          I had it working as a home station, with pre-set coordinates, when I used the Alinco card and UI-View32.
          I just never could get it to work as a stand alone.
          That's why I bought this T2-135 card.
          I have been unable to get this thing to show up at all.
          It beacons as programmed and I can hear the data packet when listening
          to another radio.
          It's just that APRS.fi does not SEE me.
          I do not know what setting is wrong.
          The book seems to be little help in locating the problem.

          Thanks,

          Dennis

          _____

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroup <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> s.com,
          "Dennis Vines" <k5gbt@...> wrote:

          > Is there a file somewhere giving the configuration settings needed to
          > use this T2-135 board as a stand alone APRS system?
          > Same question about the software command settings?
          > I had no luck at getting the Alinco board to work as a stand alone.
          > That is why I bought this board. I had the Alinco board working fine
          > with UI-View as a home station. I never did get it to work as a stand
          > alone. This board doesn't seem to work either way. Actually, the
          board
          > may be working but the settings don't. The board does beacon as I
          > programmed it to. But whatever it sends no longer shows up on APRS.FI.
          > Doesn't matter if I use UI-View or not. Any ideas?
          > Dennis

        • Dennis
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008

            Does anyone see anything wrong with these settings?

            Thanks,

            Dennis

          • Rudolf Benner
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
              I would tick 'doesn't require GPS fix'.

              Also I would change 'Flow' to Auto.

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
                Looks OK to me, assuming it's supposed to be a fixed location.

                Scott

                Dennis wrote:

                > Does anyone see anything wrong with these settings?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Dennis

              • Bob Burns W9RXR
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
                  Quoting Dennis <k5gbt@...>:

                  > Does anyone see anything wrong with these settings?

                  Dennis, I see you found the Tracker2 group.

                  In addition to Rudolph's comments, I'll suggest that you make sure
                  that the Profile 1 and Profile 2 settings are the same even if you
                  aren't using the profile switching feature.

                  Bob...
                • Rudolf Benner
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
                    In order for APRS.FI to see it, there has to be an IGATE that hears
                    it or is in the path.

                    Look for VE3BDR-4, its a DR-135/T2-135. It shows up in the wrong
                    location, other than that, its working fine. Just the Alinco Radio
                    sitting on top of a power supply on a shelf in a garage, a small
                    antenna on the roof. Email me off the list if you want help releasing
                    the magic smoke.

                    --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <k5gbt@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks. But I have all that. I have re-installed the firmware a
                    dozen times and then started all over with the configuration program
                    and the terminal to make settings.
                    > My problem is that I have yet to find a set of settings that will
                    work to get me to show up on APRS.FI.
                    > I had it working as a home station, with pre-set coordinates, when
                    I used the Alinco card and UI-View32.
                    > I just never could get it to work as a stand alone.
                    > That's why I bought this T2-135 card.
                    > I have been unable to get this thing to show up at all.
                    > It beacons as programmed and I can hear the data packet when
                    listening
                    > to another radio.
                    > It's just that APRS.fi does not SEE me.
                    > I do not know what setting is wrong.
                    > The book seems to be little help in locating the problem.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Dennis
                    >

                    > _____

                    Behalf
                    > Of Rudolf Benner
                    > Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 9:32 AM
                    > To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: [tracker2] Re: Configuration settings
                    >

                    > You don't need anything else, just the DR-135T radio and the T2-135
                    > board.
                    >
                    > The configuration program can be found on the Argent Data Systems
                    > website. The manual is there too.
                    >
                    > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                    s.com,
                    > "Dennis Vines" <k5gbt@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Is there a file somewhere giving the configuration settings
                    needed to
                    > > use this T2-135 board as a stand alone APRS system?
                    > > Same question about the software command settings?
                    > > I had no luck at getting the Alinco board to work as a stand
                    alone.
                    > > That is why I bought this board. I had the Alinco board working
                    fine
                    > > with UI-View as a home station. I never did get it to work as a
                    stand
                    > > alone. This board doesn't seem to work either way. Actually, the
                    > board
                    > > may be working but the settings don't. The board does beacon as I
                    > > programmed it to. But whatever it sends no longer shows up on
                    APRS.FI.
                    > > Doesn't matter if I use UI-View or not. Any ideas?
                    > > Dennis

                  • Keith VE7GDH
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
                      Dennis K5GBT wrote...

                      > Does anyone see anything wrong with these settings?

                      Looks OK, but I see that you have a fixed location entered even though
                      you are using a "car" symbol, and you are outputting received position
                      reports as waypoints... to a GPS receiver that isn't there. Presumably
                      the beacon every two minutes is just for testing. You could try
                      increasing the TXDelay slightly to see if it makes any difference or
                      not.

                      www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?K5GBT-9

                      However, you haven't been "heard" for 8 days and the last time you were
                      heard, {UIV32N} was tacked on the end. Or is that a red herring...
                      perhaps you used K5GBT-9 in UI-View in the past? Time to do some
                      troubleshooting.

                      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
                        Dennis,

                        Yes, you can hear the data packet on another radio, but can a Digi and
                        eventually an IGate hear the packet? Where are you located and what
                        Digi/IGate are you expecting to gate the packet for you?

                        UI-View may have been inserting your packets directly into APRS-IS
                        (which is the bridge from you to aprs.fi), but to get there from the
                        T2-135, an IGate somewhere down the line needs to hear you, decode the
                        packet, and insert it into APRS-IS.

                        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                        PS. What callsign did you use with UI-View? That (assuming it was
                        recent enough) will tell us where you are.

                        Dennis wrote:

                        > Thanks. But I have all that. I have re-installed the firmware a dozen
                        > times and then started all over with the configuration program and the
                        > terminal to make settings.
                        > My problem is that I have yet to find a set of settings that will work
                        > to get me to show up on APRS.FI.
                        > I had it working as a home station, with pre-set coordinates, when I
                        > used the Alinco card and UI-View32.
                        > I just never could get it to work as a stand alone.
                        > That's why I bought this T2-135 card.
                        > I have been unable to get this thing to show up at all.
                        > It beacons as programmed and I can hear the data packet when listening
                        > to another radio.
                        > It's just that APRS.fi does not SEE me.
                        > I do not know what setting is wrong.
                        > The book seems to be little help in locating the problem.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Dennis
                        >
                        > _____
                        >
                        > From: tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>

                      • Broncus
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
                          It appears MTMAG is clearly in range. I think that rules out an IGATE
                          being close enough since the K5GBT-9 station appeared to work fine.

                          Do you have a way to listen to raw packets. I don't mean audibly, but
                          with another TNC? If the second TNC can decode packets, the deviation
                          will be at least good enough for that. Plus, you can see the actual
                          packet that was created and sent. I suspect there will be some clue.

                          I had set up a fill-in digi recently and was wondering why I wasn't
                          forwarding certain packets. When I was monitoring the packets, I
                          realized my mistake. The mobile tracker had been set incorrectly. It
                          was the monitoring that gave me the needed clues.

                          Best regards,
                          Fred

                          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Rudolf Benner" <benner@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > >
                          > > > Is there a file somewhere giving the configuration settings
                          > needed to
                          > > > use this T2-135 board as a stand alone APRS system?
                          > > > Same question about the software command settings?
                          > > > I had no luck at getting the Alinco board to work as a stand
                          > alone.
                          > > > That is why I bought this board. I had the Alinco board working
                          > fine
                          > > > with UI-View as a home station. I never did get it to work as a
                          > stand
                          > > > alone. This board doesn't seem to work either way. Actually,
                          the
                          > > board
                          > > > may be working but the settings don't. The board does beacon as
                          > > > programmed it to. But whatever it sends no longer shows up on
                          > APRS.FI.
                          > > > Doesn't matter if I use UI-View or not. Any ideas?

                        • Rudolf Benner
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
                            Took your advice and increased TXdelay from 100 to 150.

                            VE3BDR-4 Solar Digi (experiemental yet).

                            Digi shuts down if temp and/voltage drop below setpoint. Tx stops if
                            voltage goes to a lower setpoint. Temp and voltage in the beacon
                            message as well as the status of the digi. PX-777/OT2m.

                            > Dennis K5GBT wrote...
                            >
                            > > Does anyone see anything wrong with these settings?
                            >
                            > Looks OK, but I see that you have a fixed location entered even
                            though
                            > you are using a "car" symbol, and you are outputting received
                            position
                            > reports as waypoints... to a GPS receiver that isn't there.
                            Presumably
                            > the beacon every two minutes is just for testing. You could try
                            > increasing the TXDelay slightly to see if it makes any difference or
                            > not.
                            >
                            > www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?K5GBT-9
                            >
                            > However, you haven't been "heard" for 8 days and the last time you
                            were
                            > heard, {UIV32N} was tacked on the end. Or is that a red herring...
                            > perhaps you used K5GBT-9 in UI-View in the past? Time to do some
                            > troubleshooting.
                            >
                            > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                          • Dennis
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008

                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008

                                OK. I have changed the TXdelay to 200 and changed the Bbaud to AUTO. That fixed it. Thanks to everyone who helped. It is sometimes the simple things that get ignored and cause the problems. Check APRS.fi and track K5GBT-9 to see what it is doing. But ignore the reference to UIveiw32 as it is running as a stand alone unit at present.

                                Thanks again,

                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
                                  On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Dennis <k5gbt@...> wrote:

                                  > OK. I have changed the TXdelay to 200 and changed the Bbaud to AUTO. That
                                  > fixed it. Thanks to everyone who helped. It is sometimes the simple things
                                  > that get ignored and cause the problems. Check APRS.fi and track K5GBT-9 to
                                  > see what it is doing.

                                  Good to know you have it working... not that I really want to pee in
                                  your cornflakes, but that local digipeater on Magazine Mountain is
                                  going to be a pain in your backside.

                                  It's an old KPC-3 v8.2, and is still set up with the old
                                  RELAY/WIDE/TRACE settings. This means that if you are using WIDE1-1 as
                                  your first hop, you're only going to get a single hop, as the v8.2
                                  firmware doesn't mark the used path properly.

                                  I also found other digis in your area that are still on the old
                                  settings, and an aircraft using WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2 as an outgoing path.

                                  Just be aware that the local APRS network is not going to respond
                                  properly to your packets. At least not the way that most people are
                                  going to tell you it should.