Re: T2-135 will not work was [tracker2] Paclink

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
      i am connected too a proper "serial port"
      I have the DATA packet on the radio displayed
      in the terminal program it displays squat.

      The laptop is doing NOTHING else with the radio connected too it.
      abaud set too 4800. KISS
      using an amstron power supply (works just fine)!

      Antenna works just fine

      Steve, stuffed

      On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

      Steve KF6WAX wrote...

      > T2-135... I opened up the back of the Alinco 135 and noticed

      > a red led permanently on....is that my problem???
      > If so what can I do to remedy it?

      Scott said in msg 5361 Jun 6 2008...

      You can see if it's powering on properly by watching the LEDs
      with the cover off - they should both blink in sequence. Make sure
      you've got the DR-135T in data mode, or it won't power up the
      TNC. You'll need to hit enter a couple of times to get a prompt.

      I popped the lid on my DR-135T. When powered on (in digial mode) the red
      LED briefly flashes followed by a brief flash of the green LED. When it
      transmits, the red LED is on. If yours is on all the time, that doesn't
      sound right. I presume the radio isn't continuously transmitting.
      Perhaps you could connect to a terminal program and DISPLAY all of the
      settings and post them to the list... or save the settings in
      otwincfg.exe and upload them to the files section. I think you said
      offlist last week that profile switchng is disabled.

      > I placed the old tnc That came with the Alinco back in it and
      > immediately saw packets in the terminal window...

      OK, but it can't sit up and do tricks!

      > And one additional thought... as there was a stock TNC in the Alinco
      > already... was this simply a straight remove and swap move or did I
      > miss a step?

      No steps missed. It's out with the old and in with the new (and much
      improved) TNC.

      > The T2-135 was configured using otwincfg.exe and has the latest
      > version of software loaded from the website.

      The serial connection to and from the PC must be OK.

      > Occasionally I also get a "failed to write to block" (block number
      > varies)!!!

      Or not... What speed to you have ABAUD at? Are you using a real serial
      port or a USB to serial adapter? Is the computer busy doing anything
      else? How is the supply voltage to the radio, but I would think you
      would have other problems if it was that marginal. Difficult to say if
      that's a real problem or an occasional glitch. You could try a different
      PC.

      > A very happy Thanksgiving to the group!

      That's easy to say if you aren't a turkey! Happy (US) Thanksgiving to
      you too!

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
        footnote
        finally got the config program to write by turning OFF turbo.
        Now red led shows red on TX no green led comes on, when traffic is seen on the display of the radio

        Steve

      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
          Steve KF6WAX wrote...

          > finally got the config program to write by turning OFF turbo. Now red
          > led shows red on TX no green led comes on, when traffic is seen on the
          > display of the radio

          Hmmm... it's starting to sound normal. Can you get it running in KISS
          mode in UI-View now?

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
            no sir
            no green led coming on during RX, but did observe the green led come on while it was beeing written too

            steve

            Steve KF6WAX wrote...

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
              Steve KF6WAX wrote...

              > no sir no green led coming on during RX, but did observe the green led
              > come on while it was beeing written to

              Sounds like mine, but mine works. Stop looking at the LEDs now that your
              transmit LED isn't on all of the time!

              Can you run a terminal program and see a command prompt?
              Tera Term Pro is a good one.

              If so, can you type MON ON and view decoded packets when there is
              activity??

              If it is decoding received packets OK, what happens if you type AMODE
              KISS? Do you see anything in the terminal program? It won't all be human
              readable.

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008

                When the board is under otwincfg (red led is on), there will be no decoding (even front panel shows incoming traffic). So, it is normal.
                Looks like your board is normal, responding appropriately to serial commands.

                So now do the following:
                - set port A to auto, with speed of 9600 bps, under otwincfg
                - write and exit from otwincfg, do not unplug the serial cable
                - open hyperterminal, open serial connection to T2-135 at 9600 bps
                - press enter key 3 times
                - type "mon on"
                - see if you can read incoming traffic
                - if you have a Kenwood D7A close by, send a beacon, and see if you can read the beacon
                - if nothing can be seen, then the board might got the "deaf syndrome"

                73 de paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                  Paulus N5SNN wrote...

                  > When the board is under otwincfg (red led is on)...

                  My T2-135 doesn't do that... build 54680. When otwincfg.exe is running,
                  the green LED is on with a brief flash of the red LED just as it
                  connects. I don't see any flashes while it's writing. When I exit the
                  program, the green LED goes off and there is a brief flash of the red
                  LED.

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                    I guess each board behaves differently. On mine the red is on (similar to an OT+) under otwincfg, no green flickers when writing.
                    But that is the only one that I observed as typically the radio panel is on thus I can't see any LEDs at all.
                    But that was last April, when working on the "deaf board" syndrome, so it might be the green LED that was on under otwincfg.

                    73 de Paulus N5SNN/YD0NXX

                    > > When the board is under otwincfg (red led is on)...
                    >
                    > My T2-135 doesn't do that... build 54680. When
                    > otwincfg.exe is running,
                    > the green LED is on with a brief flash of the red LED just
                    > as it
                    > connects. I don't see any flashes while it's
                    > writing. When I exit the
                    > program, the green LED goes off and there is a brief flash
                    > of the red
                    > LED.
                    >
                    > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                  • Steve

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                        Below is a cut and paste from the terminal program after I typed DISP in the command window  any clues there?
                        73
                        Steve, kf6wax

                        cmd:disp
                        1WIREWX OFF
                        ABAUD 9600
                        ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE  3:TEMP
                        ALTITUDE OFF
                        AMODE AUTO
                        AUTHLIST
                        AUTOBAUD OFF
                        AUTOSAVE OFF
                        BBAUD 4800
                        BMODE AUTO
                        CDINVERT OFF
                        CLIMB OFF
                        CNTRESET OFF
                        COMMENT
                        COMPRESS OFF
                        COUNTER OFF
                        CUSTSYM OFF
                        DAO OFF
                        DIGI ON
                        DIGIID 1:ON 2:ON 3:ON 4:ON 5:ON 6:ON 7:ON 8:ON
                        DUPETIME 30
                        EXTSQL OFF
                        FAHRENHT OFF
                        GPSDATA OFF
                        HBAUD 1200
                        HEADERLN OFF
                        HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0
                        INTERVAL 120
                        LVINHIBIT 0
                        MAXRANGE 0
                        MONITOR OFF
                        MYCALL NOCALL
                        NICE 0
                        OUTPUT1 OFF
                        POSITION GPS
                        POWER ON
                        PREEMPT 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
                        PTTINPUT OFF
                        PATH WIDE1-1
                        QUIET 16
                        REARM 250
                        RETRIES 6
                        RETRYTIME 7
                        REQALL ON
                        RING OFF
                        SHAREDPTT OFF
                        SLOT 0
                        SMARTBCON OFF
                        SWDCD ON
                        STATUS 0
                        SYMBOL />
                        TELEMETRY OFF
                        TEMP OFF
                        TEMPADJ 0
                        TIMEHMS OFF
                        TIMESLOT OFF
                        TIMESTAMP OFF
                        TXDELAY 25
                        TXLEVEL 255
                        TXNOFIX OFF
                        TXONCHG OFF
                        USEALIAS 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:ON 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
                        VELOCITY OFF
                        VOLTAGE OFF
                        WAYPOINTS OFF
                        WPTLEN 9
                        cmd:

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                          Steve KF6WAX wrote...

                          > no traffic is seen in the terminal program and the leds do not light
                          > up, (panel removed). All the instructions below were followed...

                          I'm sure a week ago you were saying that you saw traffic in a terminal
                          program (but not in UI-View). Paulus suggested 9600 instead of 4800.
                          Did you adjust your terminal program to the correct com port and 9600
                          to match ABAUD? e.g. com 1 4800N81 or com2 9600N81 etc. to match
                          the com port you are actually using and the baud rate that you set in
                          otwincfg.exe... apparently changed from 4800 to 9600 now.

                          Would there happen to be any DR-135T / T2-135 users close to Steve?
                          I would really like to see him get this going. Of course, there is a
                          possibility that his T2-135 is defective. You could always send it back
                          to Scott for testing, but if there's someone across town with one,
                          perhaps you could compare notes and make some progress. Your
                          DR-135T / T2-135 connected to his terminal program... or his
                          DR-135T / T2-135 connected to your terminal program.

                          I've already tried "remote assistance" with you but you couldn't get
                          your firewall to allow the connection, so that is apparently out.
                          However, did you ever try it with anyone else after my attempts?
                          I'm pretty sure it's your firewall, but it wouldn't hurt to try it with
                          someone else, although I have successfully used RA quite a number
                          of times with other people.

                          Things we DO know... the serial port on your PC is working and the cable
                          between them is also OK. You can use otwincfg.exe to program it. The red
                          transmit LED is no longer lit full time. You apparently aren't decoding
                          any received traffic... although I thought you were a week ago, at least
                          in a terminal program.

                          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                        • Steve
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                            yes I did alter the parameters in pacterm to reflect the new baud rate and NO I have never seen any packets in the terminal program.

                            I did switch back to the OLD tnc board and that immediately saw packets in the terminal window, using the same power/antenna and serial cable.

                            I am more than happy to send the tnc back to Scott for testing...its not the heaviest thing I have ever mailed! <GRIN>...

                            I would like to see what Scott makes of the tnc config data I posted earlier,

                            Lights out here...I am full of Turkey and need to sleep it off!

                            Cheers
                            Steve, kf6wax

                            Steve KF6WAX wrote...

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                              Steve KF6WAX wrote...

                              > Below is a cut and paste from the terminal program after I typed DISP
                              > in the command window any clues there?

                              cmd:disp
                              1WIREWX OFF
                              ABAUD 9600
                              ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE 3:TEMP

                              Whoa Steve... RELAY has been obsolete in North America for several years
                              now. However, no damage done as USEALIAS 1 down below is OFF.

                              ALTITUDE OFF
                              AMODE AUTO
                              AUTHLIST

                              You could stick your callsign in there so you could do remote
                              programming, but if it's in the shack...

[...]

                              You should stick your callsign in there... e.g. MYCALL KF6WAX-2

                              NICE 0
                              OUTPUT1 OFF
                              POSITION GPS
                              POWER ON
                              PREEMPT 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
                              PTTINPUT OFF
                              PATH WIDE1-1

                              Fixed stations shouldn't use WIDE1-1.

                              QUIET 16
                              REARM 250
                              RETRIES 6
                              RETRYTIME 7
                              REQALL ON

                              Going by memory, I think you have everything in profile switching
                              unselected, so the REQALL ON should prevent it from profile switching.

                              RING OFF
                              SHAREDPTT OFF
                              SLOT 0
                              SMARTBCON OFF
                              SWDCD ON
                              STATUS 0
                              SYMBOL />
                              TELEMETRY OFF
                              TEMP OFF
                              TEMPADJ 0
                              TIMEHMS OFF
                              TIMESLOT OFF
                              TIMESTAMP OFF
                              TXDELAY 25
                              TXLEVEL 255
                              TXNOFIX OFF
                              TXONCHG OFF
                              USEALIAS 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:ON 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
                              VELOCITY OFF
                              VOLTAGE OFF
                              WAYPOINTS OFF
                              WPTLEN 9
                              cmd:

                              I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be working. To get it going in a
                              terminal program, you need to know the com port (same one you use
                              successfully with otwincfg.exe) and with ABAUD set to 9600, you will
                              have to set the terminal program to 9600. Same for UI-View when you get
                              it going in there.

                              You obviously get a command prompt in the terminal program or you
                              wouldn't have been able to DISPlay the settings. Merely typing MON ON
                              should get it displaying decoded packets. Maybe your T2-135 just isn't
                              working. Unless you can find someone nearby for troubleshooting, why
                              don't you send it back to Steve for testing?

                              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                            • Keith VE7GDH
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                                Steve KF6WAX wrote...

                                > yes I did alter the parameters in pacterm to reflect the new baud rate
                                > and NO I have never seen any packets in the terminal program.

                                My mistake.

                                > I did switch back to the OLD tnc board and that immediately saw
                                > packets in the terminal window, using the same power/antenna and
                                > serial cable.

                                Worthwhile doing... proves that where the T2-135 should be getting audio
                                actually has audio present.

                                > I am more than happy to send the tnc back to Scott for testing...its
                                > not the heaviest thing I have ever mailed! <GRIN>...

                                You've tried just about everything. I'm sure Scott would be happy to
                                take a look at it for you.

                                > I would like to see what Scott makes of the tnc config data I posted
                                > earlier,

                                I couldn't see anything that would make it not display decoded received
                                packets.

                                > Lights out here...I am full of Turkey and need to sleep it off!

                                Just sitting down for dinner now!

                                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                              • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008

                                  Steve,

                                  The board has the "deaf board" syndrome (due excess flux on some solder joints, a well known mfg defect on some batch), send it back to Scott for repair. Or you can repair it yourself if you have a steady hands and good eyes, as you are working on smt parts.

                                  de Paulus N5SNN/YD0NXX

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 28, 2008
                                    yes Keith I realise that RELAY is no longer used in North America, right now my interest is in getting the board working, this tnc is never going to be mobile EXCEPT for its return to Scott (for further investigation)! <G>

                                    73
                                    Steve, kf6wax

                                    Steve KF6WAX wrote...

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 28, 2008
                                      neither eyesite /or hands are that sharp (never were)! <G>
                                      This board is version 1.1...I have no idea if that has changed to a later version..
                                      I will send it back to Scott today!

                                      Thanks for your help Paulus..

                                      73
                                      Steve, kf6wax

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 28, 2008
                                        Keith,

                                        you wrote below...

                                        "You obviously get a command prompt in the terminal program or you
                                        wouldn't have been able to DISPlay the settings. Merely typing MON ON
                                        should get it displaying decoded packets. Maybe your T2-135 just isn't
                                        working. Unless you can find someone nearby for troubleshooting, why
                                        don't you send it back to Steve for testing?"

                                        My question is....who is Steve...????        ......rofl

                                        Have a great evening..

                                        Steve,   KF6WAX
                                      • Keith VE7GDH
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 28, 2008
                                          S**** KF6WAX wrote...

                                          > > why don't you send it back to Steve for testing?
                                          >
                                          > My question is....who is Steve...???? ......rofl

                                          Well I got the first letter right - hi! Better send it to Scott instead!

                                          73 es cul - K**** VE7GDH