Re: T2-135 will not work was [tracker2] Paclink

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
      Steve KF6WAX wrote...

      > T2-135... I opened up the back of the Alinco 135 and noticed
      > a red led permanently on....is that my problem???
      > If so what can I do to remedy it?

      Scott said in msg 5361 Jun 6 2008...

      You can see if it's powering on properly by watching the LEDs
      with the cover off - they should both blink in sequence. Make sure
      you've got the DR-135T in data mode, or it won't power up the
      TNC. You'll need to hit enter a couple of times to get a prompt.

      I popped the lid on my DR-135T. When powered on (in digial mode) the red
      LED briefly flashes followed by a brief flash of the green LED. When it
      transmits, the red LED is on. If yours is on all the time, that doesn't
      sound right. I presume the radio isn't continuously transmitting.
      Perhaps you could connect to a terminal program and DISPLAY all of the
      settings and post them to the list... or save the settings in
      otwincfg.exe and upload them to the files section. I think you said
      offlist last week that profile switchng is disabled.

      > I placed the old tnc That came with the Alinco back in it and
      > immediately saw packets in the terminal window...

      OK, but it can't sit up and do tricks!

      > And one additional thought... as there was a stock TNC in the Alinco
      > already... was this simply a straight remove and swap move or did I
      > miss a step?

      No steps missed. It's out with the old and in with the new (and much
      improved) TNC.

      > The T2-135 was configured using otwincfg.exe and has the latest
      > version of software loaded from the website.

      The serial connection to and from the PC must be OK.

      > Occasionally I also get a "failed to write to block" (block number
      > varies)!!!

      Or not... What speed to you have ABAUD at? Are you using a real serial
      port or a USB to serial adapter? Is the computer busy doing anything
      else? How is the supply voltage to the radio, but I would think you
      would have other problems if it was that marginal. Difficult to say if
      that's a real problem or an occasional glitch. You could try a different
      PC.

      > A very happy Thanksgiving to the group!

      That's easy to say if you aren't a turkey! Happy (US) Thanksgiving to
      you too!

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
        i am connected too a proper "serial port"
        I have the DATA packet on the radio displayed
        in the terminal program it displays squat.

        The laptop is doing NOTHING else with the radio connected too it.
        abaud set too 4800. KISS
        using an amstron power supply (works just fine)!

        Antenna works just fine

        Steve, stuffed

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
          footnote
          finally got the config program to write by turning OFF turbo.
          Now red led shows red on TX no green led comes on, when traffic is seen on the display of the radio

          Steve

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
            Steve KF6WAX wrote...

            > finally got the config program to write by turning OFF turbo. Now red
            > led shows red on TX no green led comes on, when traffic is seen on the
            > display of the radio

            Hmmm... it's starting to sound normal. Can you get it running in KISS
            mode in UI-View now?

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
              no sir
              no green led coming on during RX, but did observe the green led come on while it was beeing written too

              steve

              Steve KF6WAX wrote...

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                Steve KF6WAX wrote...

                > no sir no green led coming on during RX, but did observe the green led
                > come on while it was beeing written to

                Sounds like mine, but mine works. Stop looking at the LEDs now that your
                transmit LED isn't on all of the time!

                Can you run a terminal program and see a command prompt?
                Tera Term Pro is a good one.

                If so, can you type MON ON and view decoded packets when there is
                activity??

                If it is decoding received packets OK, what happens if you type AMODE
                KISS? Do you see anything in the terminal program? It won't all be human
                readable.

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008

                  When the board is under otwincfg (red led is on), there will be no decoding (even front panel shows incoming traffic). So, it is normal.
                  Looks like your board is normal, responding appropriately to serial commands.

                  So now do the following:
                  - set port A to auto, with speed of 9600 bps, under otwincfg
                  - write and exit from otwincfg, do not unplug the serial cable
                  - open hyperterminal, open serial connection to T2-135 at 9600 bps
                  - press enter key 3 times
                  - type "mon on"
                  - see if you can read incoming traffic
                  - if you have a Kenwood D7A close by, send a beacon, and see if you can read the beacon
                  - if nothing can be seen, then the board might got the "deaf syndrome"

                  73 de paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX

                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                    Paulus N5SNN wrote...

                    > When the board is under otwincfg (red led is on)...

                    My T2-135 doesn't do that... build 54680. When otwincfg.exe is running,
                    the green LED is on with a brief flash of the red LED just as it
                    connects. I don't see any flashes while it's writing. When I exit the
                    program, the green LED goes off and there is a brief flash of the red
                    LED.

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                  • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                      I guess each board behaves differently. On mine the red is on (similar to an OT+) under otwincfg, no green flickers when writing.
                      But that is the only one that I observed as typically the radio panel is on thus I can't see any LEDs at all.
                      But that was last April, when working on the "deaf board" syndrome, so it might be the green LED that was on under otwincfg.

                      73 de Paulus N5SNN/YD0NXX

                      > > When the board is under otwincfg (red led is on)...
                      >
                      > My T2-135 doesn't do that... build 54680. When
                      > otwincfg.exe is running,
                      > the green LED is on with a brief flash of the red LED just
                      > as it
                      > connects. I don't see any flashes while it's
                      > writing. When I exit the
                      > program, the green LED goes off and there is a brief flash
                      > of the red
                      > LED.
                      >
                      > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                    • Steve

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                          Below is a cut and paste from the terminal program after I typed DISP in the command window  any clues there?
                          73
                          Steve, kf6wax

                          cmd:disp
                          1WIREWX OFF
                          ABAUD 9600
                          ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE  3:TEMP
                          ALTITUDE OFF
                          AMODE AUTO
                          AUTHLIST
                          AUTOBAUD OFF
                          AUTOSAVE OFF
                          BBAUD 4800
                          BMODE AUTO
                          CDINVERT OFF
                          CLIMB OFF
                          CNTRESET OFF
                          COMMENT
                          COMPRESS OFF
                          COUNTER OFF
                          CUSTSYM OFF
                          DAO OFF
                          DIGI ON
                          DIGIID 1:ON 2:ON 3:ON 4:ON 5:ON 6:ON 7:ON 8:ON
                          DUPETIME 30
                          EXTSQL OFF
                          FAHRENHT OFF
                          GPSDATA OFF
                          HBAUD 1200
                          HEADERLN OFF
                          HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0
                          INTERVAL 120
                          LVINHIBIT 0
                          MAXRANGE 0
                          MONITOR OFF
                          MYCALL NOCALL
                          NICE 0
                          OUTPUT1 OFF
                          POSITION GPS
                          POWER ON
                          PREEMPT 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
                          PTTINPUT OFF
                          PATH WIDE1-1
                          QUIET 16
                          REARM 250
                          RETRIES 6
                          RETRYTIME 7
                          REQALL ON
                          RING OFF
                          SHAREDPTT OFF
                          SLOT 0
                          SMARTBCON OFF
                          SWDCD ON
                          STATUS 0
                          SYMBOL />
                          TELEMETRY OFF
                          TEMP OFF
                          TEMPADJ 0
                          TIMEHMS OFF
                          TIMESLOT OFF
                          TIMESTAMP OFF
                          TXDELAY 25
                          TXLEVEL 255
                          TXNOFIX OFF
                          TXONCHG OFF
                          USEALIAS 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:ON 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
                          VELOCITY OFF
                          VOLTAGE OFF
                          WAYPOINTS OFF
                          WPTLEN 9
                          cmd:

                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                            Steve KF6WAX wrote...

                            > no traffic is seen in the terminal program and the leds do not light
                            > up, (panel removed). All the instructions below were followed...

                            I'm sure a week ago you were saying that you saw traffic in a terminal
                            program (but not in UI-View). Paulus suggested 9600 instead of 4800.
                            Did you adjust your terminal program to the correct com port and 9600
                            to match ABAUD? e.g. com 1 4800N81 or com2 9600N81 etc. to match
                            the com port you are actually using and the baud rate that you set in
                            otwincfg.exe... apparently changed from 4800 to 9600 now.

                            Would there happen to be any DR-135T / T2-135 users close to Steve?
                            I would really like to see him get this going. Of course, there is a
                            possibility that his T2-135 is defective. You could always send it back
                            to Scott for testing, but if there's someone across town with one,
                            perhaps you could compare notes and make some progress. Your
                            DR-135T / T2-135 connected to his terminal program... or his
                            DR-135T / T2-135 connected to your terminal program.

                            I've already tried "remote assistance" with you but you couldn't get
                            your firewall to allow the connection, so that is apparently out.
                            However, did you ever try it with anyone else after my attempts?
                            I'm pretty sure it's your firewall, but it wouldn't hurt to try it with
                            someone else, although I have successfully used RA quite a number
                            of times with other people.

                            Things we DO know... the serial port on your PC is working and the cable
                            between them is also OK. You can use otwincfg.exe to program it. The red
                            transmit LED is no longer lit full time. You apparently aren't decoding
                            any received traffic... although I thought you were a week ago, at least
                            in a terminal program.

                            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                          • Steve
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                              yes I did alter the parameters in pacterm to reflect the new baud rate and NO I have never seen any packets in the terminal program.

                              I did switch back to the OLD tnc board and that immediately saw packets in the terminal window, using the same power/antenna and serial cable.

                              I am more than happy to send the tnc back to Scott for testing...its not the heaviest thing I have ever mailed! <GRIN>...

                              I would like to see what Scott makes of the tnc config data I posted earlier,

                              Lights out here...I am full of Turkey and need to sleep it off!

                              Cheers
                              Steve, kf6wax

                              Steve KF6WAX wrote...

                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                                Steve KF6WAX wrote...

                                > Below is a cut and paste from the terminal program after I typed DISP
                                > in the command window any clues there?

                                cmd:disp
                                1WIREWX OFF
                                ABAUD 9600
                                ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE 3:TEMP

                                Whoa Steve... RELAY has been obsolete in North America for several years
                                now. However, no damage done as USEALIAS 1 down below is OFF.

                                ALTITUDE OFF
                                AMODE AUTO
                                AUTHLIST

                                You could stick your callsign in there so you could do remote
                                programming, but if it's in the shack...

[...]

                                You should stick your callsign in there... e.g. MYCALL KF6WAX-2

                                NICE 0
                                OUTPUT1 OFF
                                POSITION GPS
                                POWER ON
                                PREEMPT 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
                                PTTINPUT OFF
                                PATH WIDE1-1

                                Fixed stations shouldn't use WIDE1-1.

                                QUIET 16
                                REARM 250
                                RETRIES 6
                                RETRYTIME 7
                                REQALL ON

                                Going by memory, I think you have everything in profile switching
                                unselected, so the REQALL ON should prevent it from profile switching.

                                RING OFF
                                SHAREDPTT OFF
                                SLOT 0
                                SMARTBCON OFF
                                SWDCD ON
                                STATUS 0
                                SYMBOL />
                                TELEMETRY OFF
                                TEMP OFF
                                TEMPADJ 0
                                TIMEHMS OFF
                                TIMESLOT OFF
                                TIMESTAMP OFF
                                TXDELAY 25
                                TXLEVEL 255
                                TXNOFIX OFF
                                TXONCHG OFF
                                USEALIAS 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:ON 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
                                VELOCITY OFF
                                VOLTAGE OFF
                                WAYPOINTS OFF
                                WPTLEN 9
                                cmd:

                                I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be working. To get it going in a
                                terminal program, you need to know the com port (same one you use
                                successfully with otwincfg.exe) and with ABAUD set to 9600, you will
                                have to set the terminal program to 9600. Same for UI-View when you get
                                it going in there.

                                You obviously get a command prompt in the terminal program or you
                                wouldn't have been able to DISPlay the settings. Merely typing MON ON
                                should get it displaying decoded packets. Maybe your T2-135 just isn't
                                working. Unless you can find someone nearby for troubleshooting, why
                                don't you send it back to Steve for testing?

                                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                              • Keith VE7GDH
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                                  Steve KF6WAX wrote...

                                  > yes I did alter the parameters in pacterm to reflect the new baud rate
                                  > and NO I have never seen any packets in the terminal program.

                                  My mistake.

                                  > I did switch back to the OLD tnc board and that immediately saw
                                  > packets in the terminal window, using the same power/antenna and
                                  > serial cable.

                                  Worthwhile doing... proves that where the T2-135 should be getting audio
                                  actually has audio present.

                                  > I am more than happy to send the tnc back to Scott for testing...its
                                  > not the heaviest thing I have ever mailed! <GRIN>...

                                  You've tried just about everything. I'm sure Scott would be happy to
                                  take a look at it for you.

                                  > I would like to see what Scott makes of the tnc config data I posted
                                  > earlier,

                                  I couldn't see anything that would make it not display decoded received
                                  packets.

                                  > Lights out here...I am full of Turkey and need to sleep it off!

                                  Just sitting down for dinner now!

                                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008

                                    Steve,

                                    The board has the "deaf board" syndrome (due excess flux on some solder joints, a well known mfg defect on some batch), send it back to Scott for repair. Or you can repair it yourself if you have a steady hands and good eyes, as you are working on smt parts.

                                    de Paulus N5SNN/YD0NXX

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 28, 2008
                                      yes Keith I realise that RELAY is no longer used in North America, right now my interest is in getting the board working, this tnc is never going to be mobile EXCEPT for its return to Scott (for further investigation)! <G>

                                      73
                                      Steve, kf6wax

                                      Steve KF6WAX wrote...

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 28, 2008
                                        neither eyesite /or hands are that sharp (never were)! <G>
                                        This board is version 1.1...I have no idea if that has changed to a later version..
                                        I will send it back to Scott today!

                                        Thanks for your help Paulus..

                                        73
                                        Steve, kf6wax

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 28, 2008
                                          Keith,

                                          you wrote below...

                                          "You obviously get a command prompt in the terminal program or you
                                          wouldn't have been able to DISPlay the settings. Merely typing MON ON
                                          should get it displaying decoded packets. Maybe your T2-135 just isn't
                                          working. Unless you can find someone nearby for troubleshooting, why
                                          don't you send it back to Steve for testing?"

                                          My question is....who is Steve...????        ......rofl

                                          Have a great evening..

                                          Steve,   KF6WAX
                                        • Keith VE7GDH
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 28, 2008
                                            S**** KF6WAX wrote...

                                            > > why don't you send it back to Steve for testing?
                                            >
                                            > My question is....who is Steve...???? ......rofl

                                            Well I got the first letter right - hi! Better send it to Scott instead!

                                            73 es cul - K**** VE7GDH