audio quality question

  • Wes Johnston, AI4PX
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2008
      I'm probably going to be testing a tracker device hooked to a camcorder so that the tracker sends a posit every second while the camera is recording audio and video.  What occurred to me is that my old miniDV camera will probably work just fine, but what about the newer SD or HDD type cameras?  Do they use audio compression (of course they do) that will make a 1200 baud packet undecodable? If so, could we get away with 300 baud?   Ideally, I'd like something that would be decodable by the likes of AGWPE on the playback end of the loop.  This is like SMPTE codes for aprs.

      The idea here is to playback an aerial damage assessment that is geocoded so that I can show the video side by side with an aprs map.   Boy wouldn't this sort of thing look great with google earth?

      Wes
      ---
      A democracy will continue to exist up
      until the time that voters discover
      that they can vote themselves generous
      gifts from the public treasury. From
      that moment on, the majority always
      votes for the candidates who promise
      the most benefits from the public treasury
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2008
        I've got my mini-DV camcorder here in the office, but it's a little too
        late in the day to try wiring it up. I suspect it'll be OK - I've done
        MP3 encoding of Bell 202 and it's worked. It'll probably work best if
        that's the ONLY audio it's recording on that channel. Worst case,
        switch it to 300 baud and it should be a lot more tolerant of compression.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2008
          My DV does not support an external mic, hence the question about "other" camcorders...

          Wes
          ---