Nuvi 350 question

  • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008

      Morning Crew,

      Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a lake or place of interest it won’t have an address.

      Thanks

      Peter Summerhawk

    • Randy Love
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
        My Nuvi 360 does allow you to enter a lat/lon in either dd.mmm or dd
        mm ss format.
        Also, if you are at the location, you can save your current location
        to your favorites and rename it.
        I did that this last July, as I was giving support to an MS150 bike
        race, had the Nuvi but no full APRS in the car, so marked each rest
        stop as I came to them for future reference and return. It was a 2 day
        event, and the second day was much easier as they reused all the same
        rest stops ( in reverse order ).

        So, short answer, yes. As to how to do it exactly, I don't have my
        Nuvi in front of me to get the steps on paper. However, the Nuvi's
        don't have a 'pedestrian' mode, so I don't think it will be able to
        route you back to the site via trails very well.. :)

        73,
        Randy
        WF5X

        On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Peter Dakota Summerhawk
        <commconinc@...> wrote:
        > Morning Crew,
        >
        > Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The
        > reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a
        > lake or place of interest it won't have an address.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Peter Summerhawk

      • paul sinclair
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
          hi peter,
          you simply hit navigate to, and scroll to the bottom of that screen, and hit "coordinates"

           - Paul  - EI5GTB

          On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Peter Dakota Summerhawk <commconinc@...> wrote:

          Morning Crew,

          Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a lake or place of interest it won't have an address.

          Thanks

          Peter Summerhawk

        • Patrick
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
            If I remember correctly you can view the lat and lon by touching and holding on the
            satellite strength graph at the top of the map screen... It will open up a display
            showing you the satellites visible, the location of the sun and moon in the sky, as well
            as the current position..

            On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:44:00 -0500, Randy Love wrote
            > My Nuvi 360 does allow you to enter a lat/lon in either dd.mmm or dd
            > mm ss format.
            > Also, if you are at the location, you can save your current location
            > to your favorites and rename it.
            > I did that this last July, as I was giving support to an MS150 bike
            > race, had the Nuvi but no full APRS in the car, so marked each rest
            > stop as I came to them for future reference and return. It was a 2 day
            > event, and the second day was much easier as they reused all the same
            > rest stops ( in reverse order ).
            >
            > So, short answer, yes. As to how to do it exactly, I don't have my
            > Nuvi in front of me to get the steps on paper. However, the Nuvi's
            > don't have a 'pedestrian' mode, so I don't think it will be able to
            > route you back to the site via trails very well.. :)
            >
            > 73,
            > Randy
            > WF5X
            >
            > On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Peter Dakota Summerhawk
            > <commconinc@...> wrote:
            > > Morning Crew,
            > >
            > > Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The
            > > reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a
            > > lake or place of interest it won't have an address.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Peter Summerhawk

          • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008

              Randy,

              Thanks for that answer and no it will be used in the truck but some times you have that favorite fishing spot that you find or in my treks you find a deer trail that leads to some place that you might want to visit again and having a waypoint is a good thing to start from. My military history has been taking me on a fascinating tour of the abandoned missile silos around Wyoming and Nebraska and I have found that a webpage does have lat long listed to be able to fins them but taking my laptop with Mappoint is not the best option. Very interesting that old atlas and some old minuteman site have been purchased for use by civilian clients. If anyone is interested I will be gaining access to these sites from the land owners and posting pictures on my photo bucket site after a while.

              Thanks

              Peter

              <commconinc@gmail. com> wrote:

              > Morning Crew,
              >
              > Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The
              > reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a
              > lake or place of interest it won't have an address.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Peter Summerhawk

            • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008

                Someone sent me a link for the user’s manual and its on page 10 to be able to find a place with lat long.

                Thanks to all who answered!

                Peter