Re: usb to serial bridge Vista 64 bit

  • Garrett Sloan
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
      Just to note, so far I've had the most success with the belkin
      F5U103, and Startech ICUSB232 usb to serial adapters. I use quite a
      lot of them on various projects, and I can confirm that with both,
      they work (tested) on Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP (32&64) and Vista
      (32&64). I've tested them with a OT2 on XP and Vista 32 & 64 with no
      issues. They were the cheapest adapters I ran across when I needed a
      bunch for a couple of sites, and I haven't had a compatibility issue
      yet. They also work great with the APRS4R software deployment on asus
      wl500g routers as well.

      Garrett Sloan
      VE6RKY

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Smith" <ve6sar@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Barry,
      >
      > I tried that driver but no luck, maybe my hardware version is to
      old
      > or something. I think I'm going to have to find another adapter.
      >
      > Sean VE6SAR
      >
      > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Barry L. Lankford" <BarryL@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I just wrote about my IOgear GUC232A USB-to-serial adapter, and
      > upon
      > > further Googling it appears that the IOgear adapter *IS* a
      Prolific
      > > adapter. So, I'd suggest you try using the same 64-bit driver I
      > downloaded
      > > from IOgear with your current adapter. See the link below:
      > >
      > > Barry N4MSJ
      > >
      > > Barry L. Lankford wrote:
      > > > I'm able to use my IOgear GUC232A USB-to-serial adapter with
      > Vista 64-bit
      > > > using a ATEN driver, specifically made for 64-bit Vista, that I
      > downloaded
      > > > from the IOgear support site. I bought the adapter in 2003 for
      > little
      > > > under $20, and I'm still able to download new drivers for it.
      > That's
      > > > support that has spanned more years than Microsoft provides
      > support for
      > > > their many Windows versions.
      > > >
      > > > I've used the adapter with 64-bit Vista to do many tasks,
      > including
      > > > uploading firmware updates and communicating with devices that
      > don't have
      > > > fully compliant EIA232 interfaces, i.e., devices with simple
      > single
      > > > transistor signal level conversion. This URL will get you to
      the
      > driver
      > > > download site:

      > > > But I suspect any adapter that is currently a product for sale
      > would have
      > > > 64-bit drivers. If Prolific is still making the adapter you
      > have, I'd
      > > > expect that they'd provide a new driver for it.
      > > >
      > > > Barry

      > to my
      > it

      > the

      > adapter?

    • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008

        Morning Crew,

        Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a lake or place of interest it won’t have an address.

        Thanks

        Peter Summerhawk

      • Randy Love
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
          My Nuvi 360 does allow you to enter a lat/lon in either dd.mmm or dd
          mm ss format.
          Also, if you are at the location, you can save your current location
          to your favorites and rename it.
          I did that this last July, as I was giving support to an MS150 bike
          race, had the Nuvi but no full APRS in the car, so marked each rest
          stop as I came to them for future reference and return. It was a 2 day
          event, and the second day was much easier as they reused all the same
          rest stops ( in reverse order ).

          So, short answer, yes. As to how to do it exactly, I don't have my
          Nuvi in front of me to get the steps on paper. However, the Nuvi's
          don't have a 'pedestrian' mode, so I don't think it will be able to
          route you back to the site via trails very well.. :)

          73,
          Randy
          WF5X

          On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Peter Dakota Summerhawk
          <commconinc@...> wrote:
          > Morning Crew,
          >
          > Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The
          > reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a
          > lake or place of interest it won't have an address.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Peter Summerhawk

        • paul sinclair
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
            hi peter,
            you simply hit navigate to, and scroll to the bottom of that screen, and hit "coordinates"

             - Paul  - EI5GTB

            On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Peter Dakota Summerhawk <commconinc@...> wrote:

            Morning Crew,

            Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a lake or place of interest it won't have an address.

            Thanks

            Peter Summerhawk

          • Patrick
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
              If I remember correctly you can view the lat and lon by touching and holding on the
              satellite strength graph at the top of the map screen... It will open up a display
              showing you the satellites visible, the location of the sun and moon in the sky, as well
              as the current position..

              On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:44:00 -0500, Randy Love wrote
              > My Nuvi 360 does allow you to enter a lat/lon in either dd.mmm or dd
              > mm ss format.
              > Also, if you are at the location, you can save your current location
              > to your favorites and rename it.
              > I did that this last July, as I was giving support to an MS150 bike
              > race, had the Nuvi but no full APRS in the car, so marked each rest
              > stop as I came to them for future reference and return. It was a 2 day
              > event, and the second day was much easier as they reused all the same
              > rest stops ( in reverse order ).
              >
              > So, short answer, yes. As to how to do it exactly, I don't have my
              > Nuvi in front of me to get the steps on paper. However, the Nuvi's
              > don't have a 'pedestrian' mode, so I don't think it will be able to
              > route you back to the site via trails very well.. :)
              >
              > 73,
              > Randy
              > WF5X
              >
              > On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Peter Dakota Summerhawk
              > <commconinc@...> wrote:
              > > Morning Crew,
              > >
              > > Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The
              > > reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a
              > > lake or place of interest it won't have an address.
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > >
              > > Peter Summerhawk

            • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008

                Randy,

                Thanks for that answer and no it will be used in the truck but some times you have that favorite fishing spot that you find or in my treks you find a deer trail that leads to some place that you might want to visit again and having a waypoint is a good thing to start from. My military history has been taking me on a fascinating tour of the abandoned missile silos around Wyoming and Nebraska and I have found that a webpage does have lat long listed to be able to fins them but taking my laptop with Mappoint is not the best option. Very interesting that old atlas and some old minuteman site have been purchased for use by civilian clients. If anyone is interested I will be gaining access to these sites from the land owners and posting pictures on my photo bucket site after a while.

                Thanks

                Peter

                <commconinc@gmail. com> wrote:

                > Morning Crew,
                >
                > Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The
                > reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a
                > lake or place of interest it won't have an address.
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Peter Summerhawk

              • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008

                  Someone sent me a link for the user’s manual and its on page 10 to be able to find a place with lat long.

                  Thanks to all who answered!

                  Peter