Re: usb to serial bridge Vista 64 bit

  • Sean Smith
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
      Thanks Barry,

      I tried that driver but no luck, maybe my hardware version is to old
      or something. I think I'm going to have to find another adapter.

      Sean VE6SAR

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Barry L. Lankford" <BarryL@...>
      wrote:

      > I just wrote about my IOgear GUC232A USB-to-serial adapter, and
      upon
      > further Googling it appears that the IOgear adapter *IS* a Prolific
      > adapter. So, I'd suggest you try using the same 64-bit driver I
      downloaded
      > from IOgear with your current adapter. See the link below:
      >
      > Barry N4MSJ
      >
      > Barry L. Lankford wrote:
      > > I'm able to use my IOgear GUC232A USB-to-serial adapter with
      Vista 64-bit
      > > using a ATEN driver, specifically made for 64-bit Vista, that I
      downloaded
      > > from the IOgear support site. I bought the adapter in 2003 for a
      little
      > > under $20, and I'm still able to download new drivers for it.
      That's
      > > support that has spanned more years than Microsoft provides
      support for
      > > their many Windows versions.
      > >
      > > I've used the adapter with 64-bit Vista to do many tasks,
      including
      > > uploading firmware updates and communicating with devices that
      don't have
      > > fully compliant EIA232 interfaces, i.e., devices with simple
      single
      > > transistor signal level conversion. This URL will get you to the
      driver
      > > download site:
      > >
      > >> http://www.iogear.com/support/dm/driver/GUC232A
      > >
      > > But I suspect any adapter that is currently a product for sale
      would have
      > > 64-bit drivers. If Prolific is still making the adapter you
      have, I'd
      > > expect that they'd provide a new driver for it.
      > >
      > > Barry
      > >
      > > Sean Smith wrote:
      > >> I just got a new laptop with Vista 64 bit, and went to connect
      to my
      > >> tracker 2 with my Prolific usb to serial converter and surprise
      it
      > >> doesn't work.
      > >>
      > >> I tried downloading the up dated driver for vista but it's for
      the
      > >> 32bit version.
      > >>
      > >> Any one know of a reasonably priced vista 64bt compatible
      adapter?

      > >> Sean

    • Garrett Sloan
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
        Just to note, so far I've had the most success with the belkin
        F5U103, and Startech ICUSB232 usb to serial adapters. I use quite a
        lot of them on various projects, and I can confirm that with both,
        they work (tested) on Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP (32&64) and Vista
        (32&64). I've tested them with a OT2 on XP and Vista 32 & 64 with no
        issues. They were the cheapest adapters I ran across when I needed a
        bunch for a couple of sites, and I haven't had a compatibility issue
        yet. They also work great with the APRS4R software deployment on asus
        wl500g routers as well.

        Garrett Sloan
        VE6RKY

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Smith" <ve6sar@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Barry,
        >
        > I tried that driver but no luck, maybe my hardware version is to
        old
        > or something. I think I'm going to have to find another adapter.
        >
        > Sean VE6SAR
        >
        > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Barry L. Lankford" <BarryL@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I just wrote about my IOgear GUC232A USB-to-serial adapter, and
        > upon
        > > further Googling it appears that the IOgear adapter *IS* a
        Prolific
        > > adapter. So, I'd suggest you try using the same 64-bit driver I
        > downloaded
        > > from IOgear with your current adapter. See the link below:
        > >
        > > Barry N4MSJ
        > >
        > > Barry L. Lankford wrote:
        > > > I'm able to use my IOgear GUC232A USB-to-serial adapter with
        > Vista 64-bit
        > > > using a ATEN driver, specifically made for 64-bit Vista, that I
        > downloaded
        > > > from the IOgear support site. I bought the adapter in 2003 for
        > little
        > > > under $20, and I'm still able to download new drivers for it.
        > That's
        > > > support that has spanned more years than Microsoft provides
        > support for
        > > > their many Windows versions.
        > > >
        > > > I've used the adapter with 64-bit Vista to do many tasks,
        > including
        > > > uploading firmware updates and communicating with devices that
        > don't have
        > > > fully compliant EIA232 interfaces, i.e., devices with simple
        > single
        > > > transistor signal level conversion. This URL will get you to
        the
        > driver
        > > > download site:

        > > > But I suspect any adapter that is currently a product for sale
        > would have
        > > > 64-bit drivers. If Prolific is still making the adapter you
        > have, I'd
        > > > expect that they'd provide a new driver for it.
        > > >
        > > > Barry

        > to my
        > it

        > the

        > adapter?

      • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008

          Morning Crew,

          Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a lake or place of interest it won’t have an address.

          Thanks

          Peter Summerhawk

        • Randy Love
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
            My Nuvi 360 does allow you to enter a lat/lon in either dd.mmm or dd
            mm ss format.
            Also, if you are at the location, you can save your current location
            to your favorites and rename it.
            I did that this last July, as I was giving support to an MS150 bike
            race, had the Nuvi but no full APRS in the car, so marked each rest
            stop as I came to them for future reference and return. It was a 2 day
            event, and the second day was much easier as they reused all the same
            rest stops ( in reverse order ).

            So, short answer, yes. As to how to do it exactly, I don't have my
            Nuvi in front of me to get the steps on paper. However, the Nuvi's
            don't have a 'pedestrian' mode, so I don't think it will be able to
            route you back to the site via trails very well.. :)

            73,
            Randy
            WF5X

            On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Peter Dakota Summerhawk
            <commconinc@...> wrote:
            > Morning Crew,
            >
            > Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The
            > reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a
            > lake or place of interest it won't have an address.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Peter Summerhawk

          • paul sinclair
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
              hi peter,
              you simply hit navigate to, and scroll to the bottom of that screen, and hit "coordinates"

               - Paul  - EI5GTB

              On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Peter Dakota Summerhawk <commconinc@...> wrote:

              Morning Crew,

              Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a lake or place of interest it won't have an address.

              Thanks

              Peter Summerhawk

            • Patrick
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
                If I remember correctly you can view the lat and lon by touching and holding on the
                satellite strength graph at the top of the map screen... It will open up a display
                showing you the satellites visible, the location of the sun and moon in the sky, as well
                as the current position..

                On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:44:00 -0500, Randy Love wrote
                > My Nuvi 360 does allow you to enter a lat/lon in either dd.mmm or dd
                > mm ss format.
                > Also, if you are at the location, you can save your current location
                > to your favorites and rename it.
                > I did that this last July, as I was giving support to an MS150 bike
                > race, had the Nuvi but no full APRS in the car, so marked each rest
                > stop as I came to them for future reference and return. It was a 2 day
                > event, and the second day was much easier as they reused all the same
                > rest stops ( in reverse order ).
                >
                > So, short answer, yes. As to how to do it exactly, I don't have my
                > Nuvi in front of me to get the steps on paper. However, the Nuvi's
                > don't have a 'pedestrian' mode, so I don't think it will be able to
                > route you back to the site via trails very well.. :)
                >
                > 73,
                > Randy
                > WF5X
                >
                > On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Peter Dakota Summerhawk
                > <commconinc@...> wrote:
                > > Morning Crew,
                > >
                > > Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The
                > > reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a
                > > lake or place of interest it won't have an address.
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > >
                > > Peter Summerhawk

              • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008

                  Randy,

                  Thanks for that answer and no it will be used in the truck but some times you have that favorite fishing spot that you find or in my treks you find a deer trail that leads to some place that you might want to visit again and having a waypoint is a good thing to start from. My military history has been taking me on a fascinating tour of the abandoned missile silos around Wyoming and Nebraska and I have found that a webpage does have lat long listed to be able to fins them but taking my laptop with Mappoint is not the best option. Very interesting that old atlas and some old minuteman site have been purchased for use by civilian clients. If anyone is interested I will be gaining access to these sites from the land owners and posting pictures on my photo bucket site after a while.

                  Thanks

                  Peter

                  <commconinc@gmail. com> wrote:

                  > Morning Crew,
                  >
                  > Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The
                  > reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a
                  > lake or place of interest it won't have an address.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Peter Summerhawk

                • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008

                    Someone sent me a link for the user’s manual and its on page 10 to be able to find a place with lat long.

                    Thanks to all who answered!

                    Peter