Re: usb to serial bridge Vista 64 bit

  • k7ybz
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 3, 2008
      I have a VISTA 64 systme also and the Keyspan USA-19HS has been the
      most compatible with all software/hardware combinations I have. When I
      bought the unit, I had to download the VISTA 64 driver per Keyspan's
      instructions since it was not on the included disk.

      Larry

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Smith" <ve6sar@...> wrote:

      > I just got a new laptop with Vista 64 bit, and went to connect to my
      > tracker 2 with my Prolific usb to serial converter and surprise it
      > doesn't work.
      >
      > I tried downloading the up dated driver for vista but it's for the
      > 32bit version.
      >
      > Any one know of a reasonably priced vista 64bt compatible adapter?
      >
      > Sean

    • Barry L. Lankford
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
        I'm able to use my IOgear GUC232A USB-to-serial adapter with Vista 64-bit
        using a ATEN driver, specifically made for 64-bit Vista, that I downloaded
        from the IOgear support site. I bought the adapter in 2003 for a little
        under $20, and I'm still able to download new drivers for it. That's
        support that has spanned more years than Microsoft provides support for
        their many Windows versions.

        I've used the adapter with 64-bit Vista to do many tasks, including
        uploading firmware updates and communicating with devices that don't have
        fully compliant EIA232 interfaces, i.e., devices with simple single
        transistor signal level conversion. This URL will get you to the driver
        download site:

        > http://www.iogear.com/support/dm/driver/GUC232A

        But I suspect any adapter that is currently a product for sale would have
        64-bit drivers. If Prolific is still making the adapter you have, I'd
        expect that they'd provide a new driver for it.

        Barry

        Sean Smith wrote:
        > I just got a new laptop with Vista 64 bit, and went to connect to my
        > tracker 2 with my Prolific usb to serial converter and surprise it
        > doesn't work.
        >
        > I tried downloading the up dated driver for vista but it's for the
        > 32bit version.
        >
        > Any one know of a reasonably priced vista 64bt compatible adapter?
        >
        > Sean

      • Barry L. Lankford
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
          I just wrote about my IOgear GUC232A USB-to-serial adapter, and upon
          further Googling it appears that the IOgear adapter *IS* a Prolific
          adapter. So, I'd suggest you try using the same 64-bit driver I downloaded
          from IOgear with your current adapter. See the link below:

          Barry N4MSJ

          Barry L. Lankford wrote:
          > I'm able to use my IOgear GUC232A USB-to-serial adapter with Vista 64-bit
          > using a ATEN driver, specifically made for 64-bit Vista, that I downloaded
          > from the IOgear support site. I bought the adapter in 2003 for a little
          > under $20, and I'm still able to download new drivers for it. That's
          > support that has spanned more years than Microsoft provides support for
          > their many Windows versions.
          >
          > I've used the adapter with 64-bit Vista to do many tasks, including
          > uploading firmware updates and communicating with devices that don't have
          > fully compliant EIA232 interfaces, i.e., devices with simple single
          > transistor signal level conversion. This URL will get you to the driver
          > download site:
          >
          >> http://www.iogear.com/support/dm/driver/GUC232A
          >
          > But I suspect any adapter that is currently a product for sale would have
          > 64-bit drivers. If Prolific is still making the adapter you have, I'd
          > expect that they'd provide a new driver for it.
          >
          > Barry
          >
          > Sean Smith wrote:
          >> I just got a new laptop with Vista 64 bit, and went to connect to my
          >> tracker 2 with my Prolific usb to serial converter and surprise it
          >> doesn't work.
          >>
          >> I tried downloading the up dated driver for vista but it's for the
          >> 32bit version.
          >>
          >> Any one know of a reasonably priced vista 64bt compatible adapter?
          >>
          >> Sean

        • Tony VE6MVP
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
            At 02:43 AM 2008-11-04 -0600, you wrote:

            I bought the adapter in 2003 for a little
            under $20, and I'm still able to download new drivers for it. That's
            support that has spanned more years than Microsoft provides support for
            their many Windows versions.

            How do you figure that support for a five year old device is better than MS support for their Windows versions?   Do you still want to be running Windows 98?

            My Windows 2000 Virtual PC sessions still download security patches if required when I start them up.    And Office 2000 security patches are also out as required.

            Now granted bug fixes support for Windows XP will end in a year or so.   OTOH I suspect by now most serious and many minor bugs have been fixed.

            See http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-ca&x=13&y=16 for more details.

            Tony
          • Sean Smith
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
              Thanks Barry,

              I tried that driver but no luck, maybe my hardware version is to old
              or something. I think I'm going to have to find another adapter.

              Sean VE6SAR

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Barry L. Lankford" <BarryL@...>
              wrote:

              > I just wrote about my IOgear GUC232A USB-to-serial adapter, and
              upon
              > further Googling it appears that the IOgear adapter *IS* a Prolific
              > adapter. So, I'd suggest you try using the same 64-bit driver I
              downloaded
              > from IOgear with your current adapter. See the link below:
              >
              > Barry N4MSJ
              >
              > Barry L. Lankford wrote:
              > > I'm able to use my IOgear GUC232A USB-to-serial adapter with
              Vista 64-bit
              > > using a ATEN driver, specifically made for 64-bit Vista, that I
              downloaded
              > > from the IOgear support site. I bought the adapter in 2003 for a
              little
              > > under $20, and I'm still able to download new drivers for it.
              That's
              > > support that has spanned more years than Microsoft provides
              support for
              > > their many Windows versions.
              > >
              > > I've used the adapter with 64-bit Vista to do many tasks,
              including
              > > uploading firmware updates and communicating with devices that
              don't have
              > > fully compliant EIA232 interfaces, i.e., devices with simple
              single
              > > transistor signal level conversion. This URL will get you to the
              driver
              > > download site:
              > >
              > >> http://www.iogear.com/support/dm/driver/GUC232A
              > >
              > > But I suspect any adapter that is currently a product for sale
              would have
              > > 64-bit drivers. If Prolific is still making the adapter you
              have, I'd
              > > expect that they'd provide a new driver for it.
              > >
              > > Barry
              > >
              > > Sean Smith wrote:
              > >> I just got a new laptop with Vista 64 bit, and went to connect
              to my
              > >> tracker 2 with my Prolific usb to serial converter and surprise
              it
              > >> doesn't work.
              > >>
              > >> I tried downloading the up dated driver for vista but it's for
              the
              > >> 32bit version.
              > >>
              > >> Any one know of a reasonably priced vista 64bt compatible
              adapter?

              > >> Sean

            • Garrett Sloan
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
                Just to note, so far I've had the most success with the belkin
                F5U103, and Startech ICUSB232 usb to serial adapters. I use quite a
                lot of them on various projects, and I can confirm that with both,
                they work (tested) on Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP (32&64) and Vista
                (32&64). I've tested them with a OT2 on XP and Vista 32 & 64 with no
                issues. They were the cheapest adapters I ran across when I needed a
                bunch for a couple of sites, and I haven't had a compatibility issue
                yet. They also work great with the APRS4R software deployment on asus
                wl500g routers as well.

                Garrett Sloan
                VE6RKY

              • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008

                  Morning Crew,

                  Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a lake or place of interest it won’t have an address.

                  Thanks

                  Peter Summerhawk

                • Randy Love
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
                    My Nuvi 360 does allow you to enter a lat/lon in either dd.mmm or dd
                    mm ss format.
                    Also, if you are at the location, you can save your current location
                    to your favorites and rename it.
                    I did that this last July, as I was giving support to an MS150 bike
                    race, had the Nuvi but no full APRS in the car, so marked each rest
                    stop as I came to them for future reference and return. It was a 2 day
                    event, and the second day was much easier as they reused all the same
                    rest stops ( in reverse order ).

                    So, short answer, yes. As to how to do it exactly, I don't have my
                    Nuvi in front of me to get the steps on paper. However, the Nuvi's
                    don't have a 'pedestrian' mode, so I don't think it will be able to
                    route you back to the site via trails very well.. :)

                    73,
                    Randy
                    WF5X

                    On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Peter Dakota Summerhawk
                    <commconinc@...> wrote:
                    > Morning Crew,
                    >
                    > Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The
                    > reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a
                    > lake or place of interest it won't have an address.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Peter Summerhawk

                  • paul sinclair
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
                      hi peter,
                      you simply hit navigate to, and scroll to the bottom of that screen, and hit "coordinates"

                       - Paul  - EI5GTB

                      On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Peter Dakota Summerhawk <commconinc@...> wrote:

                      Morning Crew,

                      Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a lake or place of interest it won't have an address.

                      Thanks

                      Peter Summerhawk

                    • Patrick
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
                        If I remember correctly you can view the lat and lon by touching and holding on the
                        satellite strength graph at the top of the map screen... It will open up a display
                        showing you the satellites visible, the location of the sun and moon in the sky, as well
                        as the current position..

                        On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:44:00 -0500, Randy Love wrote
                        > My Nuvi 360 does allow you to enter a lat/lon in either dd.mmm or dd
                        > mm ss format.
                        > Also, if you are at the location, you can save your current location
                        > to your favorites and rename it.
                        > I did that this last July, as I was giving support to an MS150 bike
                        > race, had the Nuvi but no full APRS in the car, so marked each rest
                        > stop as I came to them for future reference and return. It was a 2 day
                        > event, and the second day was much easier as they reused all the same
                        > rest stops ( in reverse order ).
                        >
                        > So, short answer, yes. As to how to do it exactly, I don't have my
                        > Nuvi in front of me to get the steps on paper. However, the Nuvi's
                        > don't have a 'pedestrian' mode, so I don't think it will be able to
                        > route you back to the site via trails very well.. :)
                        >
                        > 73,
                        > Randy
                        > WF5X
                        >
                        > On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Peter Dakota Summerhawk
                        > <commconinc@...> wrote:
                        > > Morning Crew,
                        > >
                        > > Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The
                        > > reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a
                        > > lake or place of interest it won't have an address.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks
                        > >
                        > > Peter Summerhawk

                      • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008

                          Randy,

                          Thanks for that answer and no it will be used in the truck but some times you have that favorite fishing spot that you find or in my treks you find a deer trail that leads to some place that you might want to visit again and having a waypoint is a good thing to start from. My military history has been taking me on a fascinating tour of the abandoned missile silos around Wyoming and Nebraska and I have found that a webpage does have lat long listed to be able to fins them but taking my laptop with Mappoint is not the best option. Very interesting that old atlas and some old minuteman site have been purchased for use by civilian clients. If anyone is interested I will be gaining access to these sites from the land owners and posting pictures on my photo bucket site after a while.

                          Thanks

                          Peter

                          <commconinc@gmail. com> wrote:

                          > Morning Crew,
                          >
                          > Can you enter in lat/long into the nuvi to be able to find a plot? The
                          > reason I ask is that when I am camping or hiking and find a spot such as a
                          > lake or place of interest it won't have an address.
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > Peter Summerhawk

                        • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008

                            Someone sent me a link for the user’s manual and its on page 10 to be able to find a place with lat long.

                            Thanks to all who answered!

                            Peter