Suggestions for temporary-use mobile digi setup

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
      Calm down, folks, I'm not inquiring about setting up some sort of
      full-time rolling digipeater that wreaks havoc on the APRS network,
      duplicating packets all over the place while I drive around town. :)

      I currently have an OpenTracker+ and an FT-2800 running plain vanilla
      GPS tracking in my car. I am considering the purchase of the new Yaesu
      VX-8R handheld, which supports APRS messaging. Often this radio would
      be used indoors in an environment which prevents me from readily
      accessing the existing APRS network directly.

      I would like to replace the OpenTracker+ with a Tracker2 and use the
      remote control commands to toggle the digi function on and off. If I
      need that extra boost to penetrate the building, I can blast out a
      command and make it happen.

      Now my question is the best way to configure this thing. Would
      configuring the Tracker2 as a WIDE1-1 digi be appropriate? I have
      spent much of the afternoon looking around and I see references to
      using something along the lines of TEMP1-1 with the Kenwood radios
      that have built-in digi functionality. Would that be appropriate here,
      and how would that play into my ability to reliably send/receive
      messages from the greater APRS network?

      I'm sure someone, somewhere, has set up something like this before and
      can share some insights. I'd like to have this thing properly
      engineered and configured so as to cause as few problems as possible.

      Thanks for the input!

      Steve
      KG4PEQ
    • Kirk Mefford
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
        If you just want to use it for your own purposes, you could simply use the
        call sign of the Tracker2 as the first hop of your path and leave
        digipeating on all the time.
        I have my Tracker2 setup to digipeat the standard WIDE1-1 path since that is
        the first hop I have programmed into all of my other trackers that are "on
        stand-by" for special uses.
        Then I just turn on the digi when it's needed.

        > Calm down, folks, I'm not inquiring about setting up some sort of
        > full-time rolling digipeater that wreaks havoc on the APRS network,
        > duplicating packets all over the place while I drive around town. :)
        >
        > I currently have an OpenTracker+ and an FT-2800 running plain vanilla
        > GPS tracking in my car. I am considering the purchase of the new Yaesu
        > VX-8R handheld, which supports APRS messaging. Often this radio would
        > be used indoors in an environment which prevents me from readily
        > accessing the existing APRS network directly.
        >
        > I would like to replace the OpenTracker+ with a Tracker2 and use the
        > remote control commands to toggle the digi function on and off. If I
        > need that extra boost to penetrate the building, I can blast out a
        > command and make it happen.
        >
        > Now my question is the best way to configure this thing. Would
        > configuring the Tracker2 as a WIDE1-1 digi be appropriate? I have
        > spent much of the afternoon looking around and I see references to
        > using something along the lines of TEMP1-1 with the Kenwood radios
        > that have built-in digi functionality. Would that be appropriate here,
        > and how would that play into my ability to reliably send/receive
        > messages from the greater APRS network?
        >
        > I'm sure someone, somewhere, has set up something like this before and
        > can share some insights. I'd like to have this thing properly
        > engineered and configured so as to cause as few problems as possible.
        >
        > Thanks for the input!
        >
        > Steve
        > KG4PEQ

      • Mike Wren
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
          I have my OT2m set to digi on TEMPn full-time, but have WIDEn in a
          slot that's not enabled, but could be very easily if needed.

          Works very well and is RF friendly. When backpacking, I have a small
          portable tracker that keys my VX-7R. I usually put TEMP1-1 as my
          first hop on the portable tracker, and it works like a champ.

          Mike Wren / N2QDK
          Albany, NY
          mikewren.com/aprs

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Kirk Mefford" <groups@...> wrote:

          > If you just want to use it for your own purposes, you could simply
          use the
          > call sign of the Tracker2 as the first hop of your path and leave
          > digipeating on all the time.
          > I have my Tracker2 setup to digipeat the standard WIDE1-1 path since
          that is
          > the first hop I have programmed into all of my other trackers that
          are "on
          > stand-by" for special uses.
          > Then I just turn on the digi when it's needed.

        • Rudolf Benner
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
            Very interesting.

            I would be happy to see some configuration files that others are
            using. The part I would not need to see would be the ACCESS callsigns.

            I made the mistake of not checking to see if the dealer actually had
            stock for my DR-135, I should have it soon, 6 weeks is a long time to
            wait.