Tracker OT2M

  • ditdah4fun
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 27, 2008
      Anybody know if the OT2M will support a Palm IIIxe and if so if
      anything special needs to be done. I'm traveling unknown territory
      here wanting to set up a first time mobile op and maybe use a Palm
      I have for texting. I have not purchased a TNC yet but am looking
      seriously at the Tracker OT2M and its ability to support two serial
      ports.
      Thanks, Jim / KW9B
    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 27, 2008
        There is a program called SmartPalm. The T2 needs to be in KISS mode.

        I am hoping to pick up a T2 this week (finally) and I hope to use it. Look through the past messages, I believe you should find reference to it in the archives.

        If you can swing it, the Nuvi350 and T2 go well together. It will allow texting.

        Best regards,
        Fred

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 27, 2008
          On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 2:04 PM, ditdah4fun <jfinchum@...> wrote:
          > Anybody know if the OT2M will support a Palm IIIxe and if so if
          > anything special needs to be done. I'm traveling unknown territory
          > here wanting to set up a first time mobile op and maybe use a Palm
          > I have for texting. I have not purchased a TNC yet but am looking
          > seriously at the Tracker OT2M and its ability to support two serial
          > ports.
          > Thanks, Jim / KW9B

          What kind of "support" for the Palm IIIxe are you looking for? There's
          no config program for the OT2m that is palm-native, but the OT2m can
          be fully configured by serial port. I know there are serial terminal
          emulators for Palm, so it would work that way.

          Maybe you have a GPS module for the Palm IIIxe and you want to pass
          the GPS data to the OT2m that way? *IF* you can get NMEA data to come
          out the Palm's serial port, it could work.

          -Lance KJ5O

          --
          J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
          joe@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 27, 2008
            Quite a while back I fired up my old Palm III (with the serial cable,
            and I think it works with the serial dock, too) and it had no trouble
            talking to the OT2m. The OT2m has proper RS-232 voltage levels, so
            compatibility shouldn't be a problem.

            Scott

            ditdah4fun wrote:

            > Anybody know if the OT2M will support a Palm IIIxe and if so if
            > anything special needs to be done. I'm traveling unknown territory
            > here wanting to set up a first time mobile op and maybe use a Palm
            > I have for texting. I have not purchased a TNC yet but am looking
            > seriously at the Tracker OT2M and its ability to support two serial
            > ports.
            > Thanks, Jim / KW9B

          • Mike Fenske
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 27, 2008
              Jim,

              I use my old Palm IIIxe with the OT2m and have no problems. I just use an extra hot-sync cradle and plug it directly into the OT2m. I did cut the wire to the hot-sync button because of accidental presses. I use both a terminal program (simpleterm) and also SmartPalm.

              Regarding SmartPalm, I did download the source code and have been making some additions. I now have it decoding mic-e and compressed packets. Also, it will use your digi-echo's to compute your own position and then it can display distance and bearing to other stations. Still needs some work though, just short on time these days.

              73,

              Mike Fenske
              VE7MKF

              ditdah4fun wrote:
              > Anybody know if the OT2M will support a Palm IIIxe and if so if
              > anything special needs to be done. I'm traveling unknown territory
              > here wanting to set up a first time mobile op and maybe use a Palm
              > I have for texting. I have not purchased a TNC yet but am looking
              > seriously at the Tracker OT2M and its ability to support two serial
              > ports.
              > Thanks, Jim / KW9B

            • John Galvin
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 30, 2008
                Mike,

                How about making your revised code available to us hardware guys? You know
                messaging would be nice as an addition to SmartPalm as well.

                Thanks in advance for considering.

                73, John - N5TIM

                Mike Fenske wrote:

                > Jim,
                >
                > I use my old Palm IIIxe with the OT2m and have no problems. I just use
                > an extra hot-sync cradle and plug it directly into the OT2m. I did cut
                > the wire to the hot-sync button because of accidental presses. I use
                > both a terminal program (simpleterm) and also SmartPalm.
                >
                > Regarding SmartPalm, I did download the source code and have been making
                > some additions. I now have it decoding mic-e and compressed packets.
                > Also, it will use your digi-echo's to compute your own position and then
                > it can display distance and bearing to other stations. Still needs some
                > work though, just short on time these days.
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > Mike Fenske
                > VE7MKF
                >
                > ditdah4fun wrote:
                > > Anybody know if the OT2M will support a Palm IIIxe and if so if
                > > anything special needs to be done. I'm traveling unknown territory
                > > here wanting to set up a first time mobile op and maybe use a Palm
                > > I have for texting. I have not purchased a TNC yet but am looking
                > > seriously at the Tracker OT2M and its ability to support two serial
                > > ports.
                > > Thanks, Jim / KW9B

                John Galvin - N5TIM
                http://www.qsl.net/n5tim for Public Service Info
                http://www.garlandraces.net/

                JUNK - Stuff we throw away ... STUFF - Junk we keep!
              • Fred Hillhouse
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 30, 2008
                  I think messaging is available on the version on Sourceforge.

                  Best regards!

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 30, 2008
                    Hmm, maybe I am wrong. The date looks rather old.

                    I finally broke down and killed the pig (piggybank) and ordered a Tracker2. Is it here yet?

                    I am anxious to get the Tracker2, Ft-1500M and M130 w/SmartPalm) running together!

                    Now if only I could afford the Nuvi350! :(

                    Best regards!

                    Mike Fenske wrote:

                    > Jim,
                    >
                    > I use my old Palm IIIxe with the OT2m and have no problems. I just use
                    > an extra hot-sync cradle and plug it directly into the OT2m. I did cut
                    > the wire to the hot-sync button because of accidental presses. I use
                    > both a terminal program (simpleterm) and also SmartPalm.
                    >
                    > Regarding SmartPalm, I did download the source code and have been making
                    > some additions. I now have it decoding mic-e and compressed packets.
                    > Also, it will use your digi-echo's to compute your own position and then
                    > it can display distance and bearing to other stations. Still needs some
                    > work though, just short on time these days.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    >
                    > Mike Fenske
                    > VE7MKF
                    >
                    > ditdah4fun wrote:
                    > > Anybody know if the OT2M will support a Palm IIIxe and if so if
                    > > anything special needs to be done. I'm traveling unknown territory
                    > > here wanting to set up a first time mobile op and maybe use a Palm
                    > > I have for texting. I have not purchased a TNC yet but am looking
                    > > seriously at the Tracker OT2M and its ability to support two serial
                    > > ports.
                    > > Thanks, Jim / KW9B

                    John Galvin - N5TIM
                    http://www.qsl. net/n5tim for Public Service Info
                    http://www.garlandr aces.net/

                    JUNK - Stuff we throw away ... STUFF - Junk we keep!

                  • G8UVE
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 30, 2008
                      Fred

                      If you were in the UK there's some being sold for under £70.00 if you know where
                      to look

                      David G8UVE
                      : Hmm, maybe I am wrong. The date looks rather old.
                      :
                      : I finally broke down and killed the pig (piggybank) and ordered a Tracker2.
                      : Is it here yet?
                      :
                      : I am anxious to get the Tracker2, Ft-1500M and M130 w/SmartPalm) running
                      : together!
                      :
                      : Now if only I could afford the Nuvi350! :(
                      :
                      : Best regards!
                      :
                      :
                      : _____
                      :
                      : I think messaging is available on the version on Sourceforge.
                      : Check out: http://smartpalm. <http://smartpalm.sourceforge.net/>
                      : sourceforge.net/
                      :
                      : Best regards!
                      :
                      :
                      : _____
                      :
                      : How about making your revised code available to us hardware guys? You know
                      : messaging would be nice as an addition to SmartPalm as well.
                      :
                      : Thanks in advance for considering.
                      :
                      : 73, John - N5TIM
                      :
                      : Mike Fenske wrote:
                      : >
                      : >
                      : > Jim,
                      : >
                      : > ditdah4fun wrote:
                      : > > Anybody know if the OT2M will support a Palm IIIxe and if so if
                      : > > anything special needs to be done. I'm traveling unknown territory
                      : > > here wanting to set up a first time mobile op and maybe use a Palm
                      : > > I have for texting. I have not purchased a TNC yet but am looking
                      : > > seriously at the Tracker OT2M and its ability to support two serial
                      : > > ports.
                      : > > Thanks, Jim / KW9B
                      : > >
                      : > >
                      : > > ------------------------------------
                      : > >
                      : > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      : > >
                      : > >
                      : > >
                      : > >
                      : >
                      : >
                      :
                      : --
                      : - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      : John Galvin - N5TIM
                      : http://www.qsl. <http://www.qsl.net/n5tim> net/n5tim for Public Service Info
                      : http://www.garlandr <http://www.garlandraces.net/> aces.net/
                      :
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 30, 2008
                        Be glad to! I'll try to get something available this weekend. I'm not much of a programmer, so the code may not be too pretty, but it seems to work.

                        The way I have been using smartpalm is as a display of incoming data. My OT2m has a garmin GPS on port B (in garmin mode with waypoint output enabled) and Smartpalm on port a in KISS mode. The OT2m handles the beaconing with smartpalm displaying the incoming data. SmartPalm has messaging built in, and I have played with it a little, seems to work OK. Using it the way I have set up, you need to set smartpalm to the same call and SSID as the OT2m. The downside to this is that when a message is received, both SmartPalm and OT2m will ack it.

                        Note that SmartPalm will work with any TNC in KISS mode, not just the OT2m.

                        73,

                        Mike

                        John Galvin wrote:
                        > Mike,
                        >
                        > How about making your revised code available to us hardware guys? You know
                        > messaging would be nice as an addition to SmartPalm as well.
                        >
                        > Thanks in advance for considering.
                        >
                        > 73, John - N5TIM
                        >
                        > Mike Fenske wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Jim,
                        >>
                        >> I use my old Palm IIIxe with the OT2m and have no problems. I just use
                        >> an extra hot-sync cradle and plug it directly into the OT2m. I did cut
                        >> the wire to the hot-sync button because of accidental presses. I use
                        >> both a terminal program (simpleterm) and also SmartPalm.
                        >>
                        >> Regarding SmartPalm, I did download the source code and have been making
                        >> some additions. I now have it decoding mic-e and compressed packets.
                        >> Also, it will use your digi-echo's to compute your own position and then
                        >> it can display distance and bearing to other stations. Still needs some
                        >> work though, just short on time these days.
                        >>
                        >> 73,
                        >>
                        >> Mike Fenske
                        >> VE7MKF
                      • Mike Fenske
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 2, 2008
                          Good Morning John and all,

                          The source code of my hacked version of SmartPalm is available here:

                          http://ve7mkf.homelinux.net:50080/smartpalm-source.tar.gz

                          A pre-compiled binary is also available:

                          http://ve7mkf.homelinux.net:50080/smartpalm.tar.gz

                          Will try to get some notes regarding changes up later :)

                          73,

                          Mike
                          VE7MKF