T2 running on a 6v battery??

  • paul sinclair
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2008
      Hi guys,

      Finalizing plans for my remote/test digi. I have 2 options, use a 12v battery, and a switching voltage regulator to bring the voltage for the rig down to 6v.

      OR

      Use a 6v battery and use no voltage regulation. Will the tracker be ok running on a 6v battery.

      Cheers,
      Paul - EI5GTB
    • Jason KG4WSV
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2008
        IIRC, the T2 has a 7805 which needs 2V of overhead plus a protection
        diode which adds another 0.6V. By my math you need 7.6V minimum if
        you want it to operate sanely.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • paul sinclair

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 22, 2008
            6 is pushing it with the standard regulator. The specs say 6.7 volts.
            If you don't mind doing a little surgery, you can replace the regulator
            with a low-dropout (LDO) type and operate much closer to 5 volts. The
            catch is that you'll probably need a larger capacitor on the output side
            for it to be stable. And some LDOs are really picky about the
            capacitor's ESR.

            Scott

            paul sinclair wrote:

            > Hi guys,
            >
            > Finalizing plans for my remote/test digi. I have 2 options, use a 12v
            > battery, and a switching voltage regulator to bring the voltage for the
            > rig down to 6v.
            >
            > OR
            >
            > Use a 6v battery and use no voltage regulation. Will the tracker be ok
            > running on a 6v battery.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Paul - EI5GTB

          • Rudolf Benner
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 22, 2008
              I would be curious of how that switching supply reacts as the supply
              voltage drops. Will it die suddenly, or will it start misbehaving
              leading to a smoke test.

              Why 6 volts?

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 22, 2008
                The protection diode on the OT2m is a 28-volt TVS/zener in parallel, so
                there's no drop in normal operation. Hook it up backwards and it'll
                switch on and heat up the PTC fuse, limiting at around .5 amps.
                Overhead on the 7805 is 1.7 volts.

                Scott

                Jason KG4WSV wrote:

                > IIRC, the T2 has a 7805 which needs 2V of overhead plus a protection
                > diode which adds another 0.6V. By my math you need 7.6V minimum if
                > you want it to operate sanely.
                >
                > -Jason
                > kg4wsv

              • paul sinclair
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 22, 2008
                  The rig im using used to run off 4 aa batterys,

                  When i give it 12v it just locks into tx

                  - paul