Nuvi 350 and OT2m

  • Ron Malinowski, Jr.
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 20, 2008
      Okay I have my Nuvi 350 the first one was defective and just got the new one today from
      Garmin. But I am still confused on how to make this work with the Alinco. I have it showing
      call signs with blue flags and I can see it under Favorites and view the comments or status
      text when I click into a call sign, but no where do I see a symbol library being used, no where
      do I see a dispatch menu, or any option to send commands. I do believe I have the right
      connectors in the right jacks cause if I unplug one of them it says the serial accessory
      requires power.

      Now some email said something about 9600 for FMI, from what I know the Alinco goes into
      9600 automatically when choosen for Garmin so nothing I need to do here and the Garmin
      has no option to choose anything so I don't believe this is the cause of anything.

      can someone shed some light there doest appear to be a straight forward instruction on how
      to take a brand new nuvi 350 and the OT2m and what commands to set where. I think I am
      only half way there and now sure what to check.

      Ron
      N9QGS
    • Ron Malinowski, Jr.

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 20, 2008
          Hi Ron,

          > Alinco. I have it showing
          > call signs with blue flags and I can see it under Favorites and view the
          > comments or status
          > text when I click into a call sign, but no where do I see a symbol

          I'd start by clearing out all of the locations so you know it's working
          and you're not just seeing old stuff. Then make sure you've got the
          latest T2 firmware loaded and that the port mode is set to GARMIN. Baud
          rate doesn't matter.

          Scott
        • Chris Greenhalgh
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008

             Subject says it all…

            Im going to deploy a digi with an Alinco DR-135T.

            It will be a stand alone (no computer) remote site.

            Any experience, knowledge, opinions, or comparisons to the Alinco EJ-41U verses the T2-135 for this application?

            Thanks much.

            ________________

            Chris, N8WCT

            www.n8wct.com/n8wct-4

          • Rudolf Benner
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008
              In comparing features, the T2 wins easily. You have 2 choices, either
              the external T2 or the internal T2-135. The external unit has a
              couple of important extra features which lend themselves well to DIGI
              uses. I would suggest you download the relevant files and compare.
              Email me if you want a copy of my collection.

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Greenhalgh" <chris@...> wrote:

              > Subject says it all.
              >

              > Im going to deploy a digi with an Alinco DR-135T.
              >

              > It will be a stand alone (no computer) remote site.
              >

              > Any experience, knowledge, opinions, or comparisons to the Alinco
              EJ-41U
              > verses the T2-135 for this application?
              >

              > Thanks much.
              >

              > ________________
              >
              > Chris, N8WCT
              >

              > www.n8wct.com/n8wct-4

            • Donald J. Tambeau
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008
                Glad you got everything working as it should. Yes it's pretty cool. Thanks for the offer to send me the files for the T2 internat or external....I have all the info in a seperate folder. I need to update them once in a while because they are bering constantly worked on. Which is GOOD!

                Don
              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008
                  Chris N8WCT wrote...

                  > Im going to deploy a digi with an Alinco DR-135T.
                  > It will be a stand alone (no computer) remote site.

                  If you want to be able to beacon the supply voltage and onboard
                  temperature, get the Tracker2. If you don't need those features, get the
                  T2-135 that mounts right inside the radio. Both will work fine for a
                  digi and if you put your callsign in the AUTHLIST, you can reprogram
                  them remotely via an APRS message.

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                • Curt, WE7U
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008
                    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Rudolf Benner wrote:

                    > In comparing features, the T2 wins easily. You have 2 choices, either
                    > the external T2 or the internal T2-135.

                    Specifically the reason you only have those two choices is that the
                    Alinco internal TNC DOESN'T DO DIGIPEATING. At all!

                    If it did I would have bought one years ago, then would have found
                    someone to foist that TNC off on so that I could replace it with a
                    T2-135 at they time they came out.

                    --
                    Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                    http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008
                      Colour my face RED.

                      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Curt, WE7U" <archer@...> wrote:

                      > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Rudolf Benner wrote:
                      >
                      > > In comparing features, the T2 wins easily. You have 2 choices,
                      either
                      > > the external T2 or the internal T2-135.
                      >
                      > Specifically the reason you only have those two choices is that the
                      > Alinco internal TNC DOESN'T DO DIGIPEATING. At all!
                      >
                      > If it did I would have bought one years ago, then would have found
                      > someone to foist that TNC off on so that I could replace it with a
                      > T2-135 at they time they came out.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                      > http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                      > Lotto: A tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown
                      > Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. - WE7U.
                      > The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!"

                    • Joel Maslak
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008
                        On Oct 22, 2008, at 10:17 AM, Chris Greenhalgh wrote:

                        > Any experience, knowledge, opinions, or comparisons to the Alinco
                        > EJ-41U verses the T2-135 for this application?

                        The EJ-41U won't work for this application. It's buggy, prone to
                        self-resetting (and losing configuration), etc.
                      • Rick
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 9, 2011
                          I am enjoying these two pieces of equipment, but the symbols are not that good
                          for the amateur radio line, has anyone been able to load the custom symbols file
                          from Argents website. I've tried Ximage and it doesn't recognize the nuvi 350.

                          Please help if you can
                          Thanks
                          Rick/kd4dra
                        • Jason KG4WSV
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 9, 2011
                            On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Rick <kd4dra@...> wrote:
                            > has anyone been able to load the custom symbols file
                            > from Argents website.

                            I've used them on my MAP60C. I don't remember any details, as it's
                            been a while (OT2 beta C, IIRC) since I installed them.

                            I like them so well I'm thinking of making a translator from the
                            Kenwood D710 format waypoints to Garmin NMEA waypoints. I know Scott
                            has the GTRANS, but IIRC that's only for the FMI capable units.

                            -Jason
                            kg4wsv
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 9, 2011
                              Unfortunately Ximage doesn't work with the nuvis.

                              Scott

                              On 1/9/2011 7:48 AM, Rick wrote:
                              > I am enjoying these two pieces of equipment, but the symbols are not
                              > that good
                              > for the amateur radio line, has anyone been able to load the custom
                              > symbols file
                              > from Argents website. I've tried Ximage and it doesn't recognize the
                              > nuvi 350.
                              >
                              > Please help if you can
                              > Thanks
                              > Rick/kd4dra

                            • Fred Hillhouse
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 19, 2011
                                Greetings Jason,

                                Maybe someone has already responded to this but I am way behind in emails since being on vacation for about 2 weeks.

                                The GTRANS will also connect to a Garmin GPS V. I installed one inside my OT2 to feed NMEA data to other things, such as my laptop. I don't send data back to the GPS from NEMA, but the GTRANS can.

                                Best regards,
                                Fred