Re: WU2Z - Keith Sproul (APRS guru)

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 14, 2008
      Cross post from another list I'm on:

      I received an update on Keith's condition from his brother, Mark. I
      am enclosing his messages below.

      As many of you already know, my brother Keith was critically injured
      in a ballooning accident in Albuquerque, NM Friday when the balloon
      he was in was blown into power lines. Apparently what happened is
      they were coming down for a landing and actually had touched down.
      Suddenly the wind picked up to 20 mph and blew them into the power
      lines. The basket caught fire and both pilots fell through the
      bottom. This is purely speculation on my part from what I have pieced
      together. It is not clear at this point which one of them was
      piloting the balloon.

      Keith fell at least 20 feet and landed on his right side. He has
      several broken ribs, punctured lungs, broken leg, broken hip and
      pelvis and has a fractured spine. He also received burns to the face
      but it turned out to no worse than severe case of sunburn.

      As of Sunday, they have operated on his leg and have closed his chest
      after repairing the lungs. They finally gave us some news on the
      spine and it is very good. The spinal fracture is very low, below any
      point that can cause problems. He has had movement in both feet from
      the beginning, this is all VERY promising.

      He has been kept heavily sedated most of the time however on Saturday
      he was allowed to wake up a little and was able to nod his head,
      wiggle his toes and squeeze peoples hands. He is on a ventilator so
      he cannot talk.

      The other pilot in the balloon was killed instantly.

      quoted from a web site
      http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1937395/

      Leyendecker said a Wells Fargo fund has been started to benefit
      Lachendro's and Sproul's families, and the hotels where they are
      staying have made their rooms free for as long as they need them.

      How to help:

      A fund has been established to benefit the families of Steve Lachendro
      and Keith Sproul. To donate, go to any local Wells Fargo and ask to
      donate to the account, which is under the name Debbie Sproul.

      Here is additional info on how to contribute which was received
      separately.

      The news on Keith is good. The doctors are all pleased with his
      progress. He is still heavily sedated

      Cards Letters and Donations can be sent to

      Debbie Sproul
      c/o Garry Haruska
      7305 Montano Road NW
      Albuquerque, NM 87114