WU2Z - Keith Sproul (APRS guru)

  • mark.rice@L-3com.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2008

      Guys, did you know Keith was critically injured in that balloon crash?  Keith maintains a APRS-to-email gateway server.  I had tracked Keith’s APRS travel down into Oklahoma (because that’s where I was vacationing at the time) and then his car continued on to New Mexico where the balloon accident occurred.  He was using WU2Z-9.

      Please keep Keith in your thoughts and prayers.

      -       Mark

      KK5MR

      P.s., I know this e-mail isn’t directly OT2m related, but I trust that this merits a note to those who use APRS…

      http://kob.com/ article/stories/ S613785.shtml? cat=500

      > http://www.abqjourn al.com/abqnews/
      index.php? option=com_
      content&task=view&id=8997&Itemid=2

      > One dead, one critically injured after 'Wings of Wind' balloon
      crashes into powerline near N.M. 528.
      > The two people who were aboard the "Wings of Wind" hot-air
      balloon
      when it crashed this morning have been identified by Kathie
      Leyendecker, a spokeswoman for the Albuquerque International Balloon
      Fiesta, according to The Associated Press.
      > Killed in the crash was Stephen Lachendro, and the balloon's
      creator, Keith Sproul, was critically injured in the accident,
      Leyendecker said.
      > Leyendecker said she did not know where the victims were from, nor
      who was flying the balloon. The balloon was registered to a New Jersey
      pilot, she told the AP.
      > Lachendro was found dead at the scene lying on the side of a ditch,
      Sproul was unconscious and was flown by helicopter to a local
      hospital, authorities said. A hospital spokesman said Sproul was in
      critical condition today afternoon, the AP reported.

      > James
      > KB7TBT
      > NEGARC Activities Manager
      > www.kb7tbt.com
      > www.ne4ga.org
      > www.myspace. com/kb7tbt
      style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'>

    • Keri Morgret
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2008
        I searched on Keith's name on Google News, and found this from one
        hour ago (apologies to the copyright gods for copying the whole
        article from
        http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/10/injured_balloonist_on_the_mend.html).
        It looks like he is improving.

        "The 49-year-old North Brunswick man, who jumped out of his hot-air
        balloon in an accident in New Mexico last week, is conscious and
        improving, officials said.

        Keith Sproul jumped 65 feet to the ground when his balloon burst into
        flames after hitting power lines, according to reports. His co-pilot
        Stephen Lachendro of Butler, Pa., was killed in the leap.

        Howard Freeman, the head of the Hunterdon County balloon festival,
        said she is getting updates from friends visiting the pilot at the
        University of New Mexico Hospital. Freeman said Sproul is no longer in
        the medically induced coma and he is responding to his wife, Deborah,
        who went to New Mexico after the accident on Friday.

        The burns on Sproul's face are improving and one orthopedic surgery
        was completed, Freeman said. The Hunterdon County balloon festival
        organizer said his is getting frequent updates from Glo Kehoe of
        Albuquerque, another balloon enthusiast who is a friend of Sprouls and
        has been visiting the hospital.

        Freeman said Sproul jumped into a dried riverbed and sand, which
        provided some cushion to the fall."

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2008
          Do hot air balloonists ever carry bailout gear like paraglider and hang
          glider pilots? (See 'self rescue kit'.) In SAR we wore belts that
          could double as an emergency rappel harness - they'd just barely fit
          through regular belt loops and had a d-ring that'd fold out of the way
          under velcro.

          Granted, getting out of a burning balloon in a hurry complicates things,
          but even a small diameter line looped once through a carabiner can turn
          a freefall into a hard landing with maybe a broken ankle or tail bone.

          Scott

          Keri Morgret wrote:

> [...]
          > > crashes into powerline near N.M. 528.
          > > > The two people who were aboard the "Wings of Wind" hot-air balloon
          > > when it crashed this morning have been identified by Kathie
          > > Leyendecker, a spokeswoman for the Albuquerque International Balloon
          > > Fiesta, according to The Associated Press.
          > > > Killed in the crash was Stephen Lachendro, and the balloon's
          > > creator, Keith Sproul, was critically injured in the accident,
          > > Leyendecker said.
          > > > Leyendecker said she did not know where the victims were from, nor
          > > who was flying the balloon. The balloon was registered to a New Jersey
          > > pilot, she told the AP.
          > > > Lachendro was found dead at the scene lying on the side of a ditch,
          > > Sproul was unconscious and was flown by helicopter to a local
          > > hospital, authorities said. A hospital spokesman said Sproul was in
          > > critical condition today afternoon, the AP reported.

        • Patrick
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 14, 2008
            Cross post from another list I'm on:

            I received an update on Keith's condition from his brother, Mark. I
            am enclosing his messages below.

            As many of you already know, my brother Keith was critically injured
            in a ballooning accident in Albuquerque, NM Friday when the balloon
            he was in was blown into power lines. Apparently what happened is
            they were coming down for a landing and actually had touched down.
            Suddenly the wind picked up to 20 mph and blew them into the power
            lines. The basket caught fire and both pilots fell through the
            bottom. This is purely speculation on my part from what I have pieced
            together. It is not clear at this point which one of them was
            piloting the balloon.

            Keith fell at least 20 feet and landed on his right side. He has
            several broken ribs, punctured lungs, broken leg, broken hip and
            pelvis and has a fractured spine. He also received burns to the face
            but it turned out to no worse than severe case of sunburn.

            As of Sunday, they have operated on his leg and have closed his chest
            after repairing the lungs. They finally gave us some news on the
            spine and it is very good. The spinal fracture is very low, below any
            point that can cause problems. He has had movement in both feet from
            the beginning, this is all VERY promising.

            He has been kept heavily sedated most of the time however on Saturday
            he was allowed to wake up a little and was able to nod his head,
            wiggle his toes and squeeze peoples hands. He is on a ventilator so
            he cannot talk.

            The other pilot in the balloon was killed instantly.

            quoted from a web site
            http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1937395/

            Leyendecker said a Wells Fargo fund has been started to benefit
            Lachendro's and Sproul's families, and the hotels where they are
            staying have made their rooms free for as long as they need them.

            How to help:

            A fund has been established to benefit the families of Steve Lachendro
            and Keith Sproul. To donate, go to any local Wells Fargo and ask to
            donate to the account, which is under the name Debbie Sproul.

            Here is additional info on how to contribute which was received
            separately.

            The news on Keith is good. The doctors are all pleased with his
            progress. He is still heavily sedated

            Cards Letters and Donations can be sent to

            Debbie Sproul
            c/o Garry Haruska
            7305 Montano Road NW
            Albuquerque, NM 87114