T2-135 Decoding?

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2008
      Scott,

      I just received my new T2-135 board and installed it in my Alinco
      radio. It seems to work on the transmitting side, but the receiving
      side is abysmal! I read back through the group's messages and was
      reminded of the solder reflow issue that was going on back in June and
      wondered if that's what I might be afflicted with. Here's my
      benchmarking and current results.

      1) ICOM HT with audio to Line In to AGWPEpro to javAPRSSrvr - Ran this
      way for quite some time and was decoding packets from 1/2 way across
      Florida, routinely and consistently. The IGate was KJ4ERJ.

      2) Replaced HT with Alinco continuing with the Line In to AGWPEPro and
      javAPRSSrvr - I've been running this for just about a week now, until
      this today when I received the T2-135. The IGate continued as KJ4ERJ
      and continued to have almost the same coverage as observed with the HT.
      If I can hear the WC4PEM-nn Digis directly, I know things are working well.

      3) Installed the T2-135 card into the radio and reconfigured a
      javAPRSSrvr to speak KISS directly to the serial port. This
      configuration set the IGate callsign to KJ4ERJ-2. I initially didn't
      see ANY packets being received by this IGate. This was not good.

      4) Connected a terminal to the T2-135 and turned MONITOR ON and also
      enabled DigiPeating. I put the old HT on a rubber duckie (my tower only
      has one antenna) and hooked it back up to AGWPEpro to monitor what was
      going on. I saw every beacon transmitted by the T2-135 (low power for
      these tests) as well as a few DigiPeated packets. These also showed up
      in the monitor window, but it was only for the two closest stations
      (KE4OZD-1 and W4GCW-2) that I've always received. NONE of the more
      distant stations even showed a trace in the monitor, not even the
      closest Digi WC4MLB-3.

      5) Put the T2-135 back into KISS mode and hooked it back into
      javAPRSSrvr, keeping the DigiPeating enabled. I continued to see only
      those same two stations' beacons and javAPRSSrvr's gate counters tracked
      them exactly. This confirms that KISS was, in fact, working.

      6) I turned the digipeating back off but kept the T2-135 in KISS mode
      with javAPRSSrvr. I continued to only see the same two stations being
      gated to the Internet and no other traffic on the KISS serial link.

      7) Put the audio connection back into the Alinco with AGWPEpro doing the
      decoding an I'm already decoding packets from digis K4PKT-3, WC4MLB-3
      (which the T2-135 didn't seem to hear even though it's close and
      strong), and WC4PEM-13.

      Is it possible that there's a setting I have wrong that causes the
      T2-135 to not report every packet that is received (possibly ignoring
      digi-peated packets?), or is it truly not decoding them? Is there any
      way I can find out any performance numbers? I just wish the Alinco had
      a way that I could monitor the sounds on 144.390 while still having the
      T2-135 actively decoding them!

      After searching the group for "Sensitivity" and "Decoding", I noticed
      the solder issues from June. I then visually inspected the T2-135 under
      a magnifying glass and it appears that the center pin on the left side
      (board edge) of the 2211 chip, the 4th pin down from the marker dot in
      the case, is a dull solder joint. All of the other pins' connections
      are nice and shiny, but that one is not. Could that be causing my lack
      of decoding sensitivity or is it just a "feature" of the T2-135 (which I
      would find hard to believe based on others' experiences posted on this
      group).

      Let me know what I can try and I'll give you feedback as I go. In the
      meantime, I'm back to the audio connection to the Alinco using AGWPEpro,
      but I'd really like the direct serial KISS link!

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 14, 2008
        > Is it possible that there's a setting I have wrong that causes the
        > T2-135 to not report every packet that is received (possibly ignoring
        > digi-peated packets?), or is it truly not decoding them? Is there any

        No, monitor mode should show all packets with the right PID and a
        correct FCS checksum.

        > (board edge) of the 2211 chip, the 4th pin down from the marker dot in
        > the case, is a dull solder joint. All of the other pins' connections
        > are nice and shiny, but that one is not. Could that be causing my lack
        > of decoding sensitivity or is it just a "feature" of the T2-135 (which I
        > would find hard to believe based on others' experiences posted on this
        > group).

        The problem doesn't seem to be bad solder joints, I think it's excessive
        flux residue on the board. You can try washing it with some rubbing
        alcohol and drying it thoroughly, or you can send it back and I'll check
        it out.

        Also, try changing the wide/narrow setting on the radio. Some users
        have reported that having an effect on decode rates.