Stupid question?

  • Bjornung
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
      Hi all

      I have had my OT2 for a couple of months now and finally seems to get
      time to play with it. I plan to use the cables I used on my TT3
      (cables bought from Byonics) because I understand they are compatible
      with the OT2.

      Now - the cable to be used from the OT2 to the radio also has a power
      cable which I used to power the TT3 with. On the OT2 there is also a
      separate power-inn connection at the rear.

      I tried to read the manual and get the impression that it does not
      matter which one of these I use to power the OT2?

      Is this correct?

      Best regards
      Bjornung Jensen
      LA9ULA
    • mark.rice@L-3com.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
        Hi Bjornung,

        No, it's not really a stupid question at all.

        Yes, either one can power the OT2m. I've used the rear DC connector
        mostly, but for other implementations, I've used the "data" cable (DB9
        connector).

        The OT2m schematic (in the lower left corner) shows the two
        connector-power arrangement. The X5 is the rear DC power connector.
        The X2 is the DB9 "data" cable connector (indicating that the + voltage
        comes in on pin 7 of the X2 connector and grounded on pin 6 of the X2
        connector).

        Hope that helps.

        - Mark Rice
        KK5MR

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
          correct
          > I have had my OT2 for a couple of months now and finally seems to get
          > time to play with it. I plan to use the cables I used on my TT3
          > (cables bought from Byonics) because I understand they are compatible
          > with the OT2.
          >
          > Now - the cable to be used from the OT2 to the radio also has a power
          > cable which I used to power the TT3 with. On the OT2 there is also a
          > separate power-inn connection at the rear.
          >
          > I tried to read the manual and get the impression that it does not
          > matter which one of these I use to power the OT2?
          >
          > Is this correct?
          >
          > Best regards
          > Bjornung Jensen
          > LA9ULA

        • Rudolf Benner
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008

            I believe you are looking at X1 pin 7, not X2 pin 7

            http://rudybenner.com/utility/Power_Supply.jpg

          • mark.rice@L-3com.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
              I was looking at an old schematic that I had downloaded last year.

              It is indeed now labeled on the current schematic as X1.   It's referred to in the OT2m manual as the "RADIO Connector", if that helps, too.

              Thanks for the noted correction... and I've deleted that old schematic file.

              - Mark Rice
              KK5MR

              I believe you are looking at X1 pin 7, not X2 pin 7

              http://rudybenner.com/utility/Power_Supply.jpg

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, mark.rice@... wrote:

              > Hi Bjornung,
              >
              > No, it's not really a stupid question at all.
              >
              > Yes, either one can power the OT2m. I've used the rear DC connector
              > mostly, but for other implementations, I've used the "data" cable (DB9
              > connector).
              >
              > The OT2m schematic (in the lower left corner) shows the two
              > connector-power arrangement. The X5 is the rear DC power connector.
              > The X2 is the DB9 "data" cable connector (indicating that the + voltage
              > comes in on pin 7 of the X2 connector and grounded on pin 6 of the X2
              > connector).
              >
              > Hope that helps.
              >
              > - Mark Rice
              > KK5MR

            • Rudolf Benner
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
                The OP wanted to power his T2 using an old cable from Byronics,
                specificly the radio cable. This should work. One less cable. Neat
                and tidy.

                Still PATIENTLY awaiting my new shiny DR-135 so I can install the T2-
                135 in it.

              • Bjornung
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 9, 2008
                  Hi

                  Thanks a lot to all who answered!

                  Now I can connect with a bit more confidence ;-)

                  Regards
                  Bjornung
                  LA9ULA