question/compliment abt the OT2m

  • mark.rice@L-3com.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
      Hey Scott, first a question and then a compliment on the OT22m:

      For the command, INFO, is it possible to also return the last known lat/long/altitude?
      I was on top of Elk Mountain (Oklahoma) recently (KK5MR-9) with less than detailed elevation maps, and was curious to know the altitude of my current location.  I couldn't figure out how to get that out of the OT2m. I had the Deluo GPS plugged into the OT2m, and then removed it to plug in my LCD dumb terminal.  But I couldn't figure out how to obtain any last known elevation info (the TXNOFIX was set ON, but that's just for lat/long and not altitude, right?).  So if I disconnect the GPS, does the altitude reading get dumped?  There was very good APRS coverage from area digipeaters, but the STAT setting I had at "10", which didn't help as to tracking the info on the internet.  Oh yeah... I was camping in an area with no cell phone coverage but there was very good APRS digipeater coverage...

      As a side note, I used the OT2m to send messages to a fellow ham back in Texas while trying to coordinate a tenous HF schedule with him.  It came in handy, as my HF QRP rig was somewhat useless, but at least I could send APRS messages to my friend stating that I had heard him. He would talk to me via HF, and I would reply via APRS...  It was not your normal QSO, that's for sure, but we coordinated very well.

      Compliment:  I left all my gear out while I went for a bite to eat at a town about 15 miles away, and the worst of all nightmares occurred;  A brief but drenching rain hit the campsite...   EVERYTHING was soaking wet when I got back... and had left my sleeping bag to air out on top of my tent (and naturally, all the stuff inside the tent was nice and dry...).  The National Weather Service had indicated a 20% chance of rain in the area, but I ignored it... thinking that it would never happen while I was gone....

      Well, the OT2m and 2-meter handheld I had left on, and it was still operating when I returned.  I turned everything off and started the process of drying everything out.  The OT2m case kept everything inside of it perfectly dry.  It was really stupid on my part to not cover it all before I left.  Gratefully, everything still worked.  I didn't loose anything, but won't take ANY chances from now on.

      Thanks, Scott, for making a good piece of equipment.  I don't advocate leaving stuff out in the rain, but that OT2m survived a heavy rainfall (hopefully the only one it will ever see...).

      - Mark Rice
      KK5MR

      p.s., I still owe you pictures of the OT2m installed on my motorcycle.  It's attached to the inside wall of my saddlebag with velcro.  It's a firm attachment method, but can be 'ripped off'  for use elsewhere.  The Deluo GPS is held in place on top of my saddlebag with a 3-inch metal disk (velcro'd) that acts as the ground plane-mag mount.  The antenna is a 5/8 whip attached to the luggage rack and the radio is a handheld (IC-V8) placed inside the saddlebag.  Because of the windshield and driver acting as the wind-break for the whip, the antenna doesn't bend much during highway speed.  The same setup I had used out in Colorado last year and it worked great.  My wife could check the internet to see where I was... instead of calling my cell phone (which I never answer while on the motorcycle...).
    • Patrick
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
        Just as an FYI, tigerdirect.com / tigerdirect.ca has refirb'd nuvi 350's for 169.96

      • Bob Poortinga
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
          > Just as an FYI, tigerdirect.com / tigerdirect.ca has refirb'd nuvi 350's
          > for 169.96

          Just as an FYI, I wouldn't do business with TigerDirect even if they were
          giving them away.

          <http://www.google.com/search?q=tiger+direct+complaints>

          --
          Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
          Bloomington, Indiana US
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
            Hi Mark,

            > For the command, INFO, is it possible to also return the last known
            > lat/long/altitude?

            The POSITION command will return the lat/long. There's no altitude
            output at the moment.

            > plug in my LCD dumb terminal. But I couldn't figure out how to
            > obtain any last known elevation info (the TXNOFIX was set ON, but that's
            > just for lat/long and not altitude, right?). So if I disconnect the

            Yeah, that's a bit of an oversight I guess. I'll put it on my list to
            check out - AUTOSAVE should also store the altitude if possible.

            Scott
          • mark.rice@L-3com.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
              Thanks Scott.

              I really did have a blast with the OT2m on this trip. It's a great
              product.

              - Mark Rice
              KK5MR