Re: OTWINCFG.EXE help file?

  • usna71
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2008
      Rudy:
      I have started a wiki for help for otwincfg and it is a work in
      process. It is located at
      http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Otwincfg.exe and you can also
      find a link to it on the links section of the tracker2 Yahoo Group.
      Let me know what areas are lacking and I'll try to work on them.
      Maybe some others who know more can also help out on the wiki manual.
      I figure it is better to document our knowledge in the manual rather
      than answer questions in this group. We will see if my theory is right.

      Bill KB1MOV

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Rudolf Benner" <benner@...> wrote:

      > Is there a help file for OTWINCFG.EXE
      >
      > I do not have the radio yet. Using the VK4RRC cfg file for
      > experimentation. Lots of features of OTWINCFG unclear.
      >
      > Rudy VE3BDR

    • n0uyx
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
        In the DIGI section you have ALIAS = WIDE HOPS = 2.
        To me that is WIDE with a limiting factor of 2 hops and isn't a
        WIDEn-n am I correct?

        I have in mine ALIAS = WIDE1 HOPS = 1 and WIDE2 HOPS = 1. Which
        allows it to DIGI WIDE1-1 and WIDE2-2 only. Plus where I live there
        are no other reliable active DIGI's so there is no need to DIGI WIDE2-
        2 more than 1 hop. Which is all I want it to DIGI of course too. So
        wouldn't a WIDEn-n example in the WIKI be a better example? Because
        to me the DIGI section isn't very user or WIDEn-n friendly to me. To
        me doing away with the HOP column and adding enough room for WIDEn-n
        in the ALIAS makes more sense to me but I am sure there is a reason
        for the two columns. I am just not sure why yet. Plus to me it seems
        strange I am the first I suppose to notice this so it makes me wonder
        if I am way out in left field again for some reason. =]

        But my T2 seems to like the settings and it gives us a W1, W2 DIGI.
        So I am happy.

        What do you think?

        DE NØUYX
        Randall

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "usna71" <bill.brown.tu78@...>
        wrote:

        > Rudy:
        > I have started a wiki for help for otwincfg and it is a work in
        > process. It is located at
        > http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Otwincfg.exe and you can also
        > find a link to it on the links section of the tracker2 Yahoo Group.
        > Let me know what areas are lacking and I'll try to work on them.
        > Maybe some others who know more can also help out on the wiki
        manual.
        > I figure it is better to document our knowledge in the manual
        rather
        > than answer questions in this group. We will see if my theory is
        right.

        > Bill KB1MOV
        >
        > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Rudolf Benner" <benner@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Is there a help file for OTWINCFG.EXE
        > >
        > > I do not have the radio yet. Using the VK4RRC cfg file for
        > > experimentation. Lots of features of OTWINCFG unclear.
        > >
        > > Rudy VE3BDR

      • Rudolf Benner
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
          Is there a typo in the second sentence of the second paragraph?

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "n0uyx" <n0uyx@...> wrote:

          > In the DIGI section you have ALIAS = WIDE HOPS = 2.
          > To me that is WIDE with a limiting factor of 2 hops and isn't a
          > WIDEn-n am I correct?
          >
          > I have in mine ALIAS = WIDE1 HOPS = 1 and WIDE2 HOPS = 1. Which
          > allows it to DIGI WIDE1-1 and WIDE2-2 only. Plus where I live there
          > are no other reliable active DIGI's so there is no need to DIGI
          WIDE2-
          > 2 more than 1 hop. Which is all I want it to DIGI of course too. So
          > wouldn't a WIDEn-n example in the WIKI be a better example? Because
          > to me the DIGI section isn't very user or WIDEn-n friendly to me.
          > me doing away with the HOP column and adding enough room for WIDEn-
          > in the ALIAS makes more sense to me but I am sure there is a reason
          > for the two columns. I am just not sure why yet. Plus to me it
          seems
          > strange I am the first I suppose to notice this so it makes me
          wonder
          > if I am way out in left field again for some reason. =]
          >
          > But my T2 seems to like the settings and it gives us a W1, W2 DIGI.
          > So I am happy.
          >
          > What do you think?
          >
          > DE NØUYX
          > Randall
          >
          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "usna71" <bill.brown.tu78@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Rudy:
          > > I have started a wiki for help for otwincfg and it is a work in
          > > process. It is located at
          > > http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Otwincfg.exe and you can also
          > > find a link to it on the links section of the tracker2 Yahoo
          Group.
          > > Let me know what areas are lacking and I'll try to work on them.
          > > Maybe some others who know more can also help out on the wiki
          > manual.
          > > I figure it is better to document our knowledge in the manual
          > rather
          > > than answer questions in this group. We will see if my theory is
          > right.
          > >
          > > Bill KB1MOV
          > >
          > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Rudolf Benner" <benner@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Is there a help file for OTWINCFG.EXE
          > > >
          > > > I do not have the radio yet. Using the VK4RRC cfg file for
          > > > experimentation. Lots of features of OTWINCFG unclear.
          > > >
          > > > Rudy VE3BDR

        • Rudolf Benner
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
            Can someone generate a default configuration file please. I do not
            have the radio yet so cannot do this. My eamil address is good,
            either posting to the files section and/or cc to me would be much
            appreciated.

            According to the FAQ, this can be done by saving the current config,
            then reloading the firmware, then saving the config again to a new
            file, hopefully something like default_config.cfg

            It could be WEEKS before I get my new toy, I am NOT patient.

          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
              Randall N0UYX wrote...

              > I have in mine ALIAS = WIDE1 HOPS = 1 and WIDE2 HOPS = 1.
              > Which allows it to DIGI WIDE1-1 and WIDE2-2 only.

              I've been waiting for another user or Scott to confirm that this works
              or otherwise comment on it. I've offered my opinion on the subject a
              number of times in the past that it should be e.g....

              ALIAS 1 WIDE (and not WIDE1, WIDE2 etc.)
              HOPLIMIT 1 2 (to allow up to WIDE2-2)
              DIGIID 1 ON (so it inserts its callsign in the digi'd packet)
              USEALIAS 1 ON (so it is enabled)

              to allow it to respond to WIDE2-2, WIDE2-1 and WIDE1-1. I would have
              experimented with it myself, but I'm really short on time right now.

              Also, what is the callsign-ssid of this digi?

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH