Re: [tracker2] OTWINCFG.EXE help file?

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2008
      Rudy VE3BDR wrote...

      > Is there a help file for OTWINCFG.EXE

      I believe that one is being prepared.

      > I do not have the radio yet. Using the VK4RRC cfg file for
      > experimentation. Lots of features of OTWINCFG unclear.

      If I'm looking at the right file vk4rrc-aprs-telemetry.cfg... it is
      set up with no profile switching with a path of WIDE2-2. It
      beacons every 900 seconds with a fixed lat / long, and isn't
      outputting received position reports as waypoints to a GPS
      receiver. It is sending voltage, temperature and telemetry. It
      runs as a WIDE1-1 only digi but doesn't have ID enabled. That
      should be enabled so it does callsign substitution so it will be
      known if it digipeated a packet.

      Hmmm... he has WIDE1 entered for ALIAS 1. Shouldn't that be
      just WIDE? Perhaps Scott or someone can comment on that.

      It is using 33 second dupe checking instead of the standard 30
      seconds. He doesn't have his callsign in the access list... i.e. he
      won't be able to program it remotely via APRS messages. The
      TXDelay is a short 100 ms.That's OK if the radio is up to it. The
      serial port is set to a speedy 115200 bps. AMODE is set to AUTO.
      It is using software data carrier detect instead of simple audio
      detection. It isn't set to stop beaconing if the voltage drops below
      a certain point. That about covers (most of) it. The right setting for
      you will depend on how you will be using it.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
    • Rudolf Benner
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2008

        > Rudy VE3BDR wrote...
        >
        > > Is there a help file for OTWINCFG.EXE
        >
        > I believe that one is being prepared.
        >
        > > I do not have the radio yet. Using the VK4RRC cfg file for
        > > experimentation. Lots of features of OTWINCFG unclear.
        >
        > If I'm looking at the right file vk4rrc-aprs-telemetry.cfg... it is
        > set up with no profile switching with a path of WIDE2-2. It
        > beacons every 900 seconds with a fixed lat / long, and isn't
        > outputting received position reports as waypoints to a GPS
        > receiver. It is sending voltage, temperature and telemetry. It
        > runs as a WIDE1-1 only digi but doesn't have ID enabled. That
        > should be enabled so it does callsign substitution so it will be
        > known if it digipeated a packet.
        >
        > Hmmm... he has WIDE1 entered for ALIAS 1. Shouldn't that be
        > just WIDE? Perhaps Scott or someone can comment on that.
        >
        > It is using 33 second dupe checking instead of the standard 30
        > seconds. He doesn't have his callsign in the access list... i.e. he
        > won't be able to program it remotely via APRS messages. The
        > TXDelay is a short 100 ms.That's OK if the radio is up to it. The
        > serial port is set to a speedy 115200 bps. AMODE is set to AUTO.
        > It is using software data carrier detect instead of simple audio
        > detection. It isn't set to stop beaconing if the voltage drops below
        > a certain point. That about covers (most of) it. The right setting
        for
        > you will depend on how you will be using it.
        >
        > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

        Thanks Keith.

        I plan on starting with the default settings.

        I am quite impressed with the features. I have the T2-135t which will
        of course go into an Alinco DR-135T radio.

        I have a TM-D700 in the car, for the QTH, an old TM-231A with the
        Signalink USB into UI-View. I recently obtained a Byonics MT-AIO.

        QTH is Timmins Ontario.

        de Rudy VE3BDR
      • usna71
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 5, 2008
          Rudy:
          I have started a wiki for help for otwincfg and it is a work in
          process. It is located at
          http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Otwincfg.exe and you can also
          find a link to it on the links section of the tracker2 Yahoo Group.
          Let me know what areas are lacking and I'll try to work on them.
          Maybe some others who know more can also help out on the wiki manual.
          I figure it is better to document our knowledge in the manual rather
          than answer questions in this group. We will see if my theory is right.

          Bill KB1MOV

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Rudolf Benner" <benner@...> wrote:

          > Is there a help file for OTWINCFG.EXE
          >
          > I do not have the radio yet. Using the VK4RRC cfg file for
          > experimentation. Lots of features of OTWINCFG unclear.
          >
          > Rudy VE3BDR

        • n0uyx
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
            In the DIGI section you have ALIAS = WIDE HOPS = 2.
            To me that is WIDE with a limiting factor of 2 hops and isn't a
            WIDEn-n am I correct?

            I have in mine ALIAS = WIDE1 HOPS = 1 and WIDE2 HOPS = 1. Which
            allows it to DIGI WIDE1-1 and WIDE2-2 only. Plus where I live there
            are no other reliable active DIGI's so there is no need to DIGI WIDE2-
            2 more than 1 hop. Which is all I want it to DIGI of course too. So
            wouldn't a WIDEn-n example in the WIKI be a better example? Because
            to me the DIGI section isn't very user or WIDEn-n friendly to me. To
            me doing away with the HOP column and adding enough room for WIDEn-n
            in the ALIAS makes more sense to me but I am sure there is a reason
            for the two columns. I am just not sure why yet. Plus to me it seems
            strange I am the first I suppose to notice this so it makes me wonder
            if I am way out in left field again for some reason. =]

            But my T2 seems to like the settings and it gives us a W1, W2 DIGI.
            So I am happy.

            What do you think?

            DE NØUYX
            Randall

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "usna71" <bill.brown.tu78@...>
            wrote:

            > Rudy:
            > I have started a wiki for help for otwincfg and it is a work in
            > process. It is located at
            > http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Otwincfg.exe and you can also
            > find a link to it on the links section of the tracker2 Yahoo Group.
            > Let me know what areas are lacking and I'll try to work on them.
            > Maybe some others who know more can also help out on the wiki
            manual.
            > I figure it is better to document our knowledge in the manual
            rather
            > than answer questions in this group. We will see if my theory is
            right.

            > Bill KB1MOV
            >
            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Rudolf Benner" <benner@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Is there a help file for OTWINCFG.EXE
            > >
            > > I do not have the radio yet. Using the VK4RRC cfg file for
            > > experimentation. Lots of features of OTWINCFG unclear.
            > >
            > > Rudy VE3BDR

          • Rudolf Benner
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
              Is there a typo in the second sentence of the second paragraph?

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "n0uyx" <n0uyx@...> wrote:

              > In the DIGI section you have ALIAS = WIDE HOPS = 2.
              > To me that is WIDE with a limiting factor of 2 hops and isn't a
              > WIDEn-n am I correct?
              >
              > I have in mine ALIAS = WIDE1 HOPS = 1 and WIDE2 HOPS = 1. Which
              > allows it to DIGI WIDE1-1 and WIDE2-2 only. Plus where I live there
              > are no other reliable active DIGI's so there is no need to DIGI
              WIDE2-
              > 2 more than 1 hop. Which is all I want it to DIGI of course too. So
              > wouldn't a WIDEn-n example in the WIKI be a better example? Because
              > to me the DIGI section isn't very user or WIDEn-n friendly to me.
              > me doing away with the HOP column and adding enough room for WIDEn-
              > in the ALIAS makes more sense to me but I am sure there is a reason
              > for the two columns. I am just not sure why yet. Plus to me it
              seems
              > strange I am the first I suppose to notice this so it makes me
              wonder
              > if I am way out in left field again for some reason. =]
              >
              > But my T2 seems to like the settings and it gives us a W1, W2 DIGI.
              > So I am happy.
              >
              > What do you think?
              >
              > DE NØUYX
              > Randall
              >
              > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "usna71" <bill.brown.tu78@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Rudy:
              > > I have started a wiki for help for otwincfg and it is a work in
              > > process. It is located at
              > > http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Otwincfg.exe and you can also
              > > find a link to it on the links section of the tracker2 Yahoo
              Group.
              > > Let me know what areas are lacking and I'll try to work on them.
              > > Maybe some others who know more can also help out on the wiki
              > manual.
              > > I figure it is better to document our knowledge in the manual
              > rather
              > > than answer questions in this group. We will see if my theory is
              > right.
              > >
              > > Bill KB1MOV
              > >
              > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Rudolf Benner" <benner@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Is there a help file for OTWINCFG.EXE
              > > >
              > > > I do not have the radio yet. Using the VK4RRC cfg file for
              > > > experimentation. Lots of features of OTWINCFG unclear.
              > > >
              > > > Rudy VE3BDR

            • Rudolf Benner
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
                Can someone generate a default configuration file please. I do not
                have the radio yet so cannot do this. My eamil address is good,
                either posting to the files section and/or cc to me would be much
                appreciated.

                According to the FAQ, this can be done by saving the current config,
                then reloading the firmware, then saving the config again to a new
                file, hopefully something like default_config.cfg

                It could be WEEKS before I get my new toy, I am NOT patient.

              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
                  Randall N0UYX wrote...

                  > I have in mine ALIAS = WIDE1 HOPS = 1 and WIDE2 HOPS = 1.
                  > Which allows it to DIGI WIDE1-1 and WIDE2-2 only.

                  I've been waiting for another user or Scott to confirm that this works
                  or otherwise comment on it. I've offered my opinion on the subject a
                  number of times in the past that it should be e.g....

                  ALIAS 1 WIDE (and not WIDE1, WIDE2 etc.)
                  HOPLIMIT 1 2 (to allow up to WIDE2-2)
                  DIGIID 1 ON (so it inserts its callsign in the digi'd packet)
                  USEALIAS 1 ON (so it is enabled)

                  to allow it to respond to WIDE2-2, WIDE2-1 and WIDE1-1. I would have
                  experimented with it myself, but I'm really short on time right now.

                  Also, what is the callsign-ssid of this digi?

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH