Re: [tracker2] Nuvi 760 Limited Success with Messages

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2008
      > I can send a message to a station that is direct (non Digi'd) and I
      > get a message waiting response and I can then go to my inbox and read
      > said message.
      >
      > Unfortunately, despite the receiving response message, the tracker
      > continues to send the message until max tries is reached.

      Do you know if the other station is sending a separate ACK, or a
      reply-ACK in the same packet?

      Scott
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
        Scott,

        It appears the ack is sent separately.

        For example, I sent -wd9epf ?aprsd from the Nuvi and got the following
        on a dumb terminal connected to port b (The Nuvi is on port a):

        WD9EPF>APU25N,WIDE2-2,WIDE1-1::KA9FLX-9 :ackao

        Message Delivered.

        WD9EPF>APU25N,WIDE2-2,WIDE1-1::KA9FLX-9 :Directs(2)= KB9WGA-15 KC9BDX
        KC9MOP N9FI N9ZIP-15 W9BO-9

        From WD9EPF: Directs(2) KB9WGA-15 KC9BDX KC9MOP N9FI N9ZIP-15 W9BO-9

        As you can see, it appears the messages was ack'd. However, the Nuvi
        continued to send the message 5 more times until I deleted it from the
        outbox. Each time the above was repeated, only that the sequence
        number was different (ackap, ackba, ackbb, ackbc, ackbd).

        The Nuvi did alert for a new message and all of the responses were in
        the inbox on the Nuvi.

        This is where it gets strange. Occasionally, the Nuvi does stop the
        retries when the message is ack'd and I do not have to kill the
        message to stop it. I don't notice any difference in what is
        displayed on the terminal connected to port b.

        Also, if I send the same message from the command line using the dumb
        terminal on port B, the retries do not occur. It almost seems like
        the FMI in the Nuvi does not always process the ack. Assuming the
        tracker is always sending the ack to the Nuvi.

        It would take some time to set up, But I suppose I could capture the
        data between the Nuvi and the tracker, but as I recall that is Garmin
        Binary, so unless you can read it...

        In any event, now that I know what to look for, I'm going to take this
        out on a road test again and see if I can figure out what is or is not
        happening.

        73,
        Bob - KA9FLX