Nuvi 760 Limited Success with Messages

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
      Scott, All,

      After playing with messaging via the command line interface I noticed
      something promising and so I reconnected the Nuvi 760 and did some
      more testing.

      Here is what I have discovered so far.

      #1.
      I can send a message to a station that is direct (non Digi'd) and I
      get a message waiting response and I can then go to my inbox and read
      said message.

      Unfortunately, despite the receiving response message, the tracker
      continues to send the message until max tries is reached.

      It appears that either the tracker itself or the FMI does not process
      a message ack when received.

      #2.
      While I can send a message to another station via my digi path, as
      with #1, either the tracker or the FMI does not process the message
      acknowledgment.

      Additionally, while I can see that I have in fact received messages
      from other APRS users, Digi'd or not, there is no alert for an
      incoming message and no message is in my inbox.

      As with #1 above, I must manually delete a sent message in order to
      stop it from retrying the message until timeout.

      #3.
      Related to #1, if I do not manually cancel a sent message to a direct
      station, there is another issue. If for example I send W9xyz an APRS
      status message such as ?APRSD, it will start an endless loop because
      the Nuvi/Tracker continues to send the message and the remote station
      continues to respond to that message.

      So as you can see, I am making some progress, but I still cannot help
      feel that there is something wrong here. The waypoint stuff I can
      sort of live with for now, but I was hoping to have full messaging
      capability, without having to manually intervene.

      73,
      Bob - KA9FLX
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2008
        > I can send a message to a station that is direct (non Digi'd) and I
        > get a message waiting response and I can then go to my inbox and read
        > said message.
        >
        > Unfortunately, despite the receiving response message, the tracker
        > continues to send the message until max tries is reached.

        Do you know if the other station is sending a separate ACK, or a
        reply-ACK in the same packet?

        Scott
      • Robert
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
          Scott,

          It appears the ack is sent separately.

          For example, I sent -wd9epf ?aprsd from the Nuvi and got the following
          on a dumb terminal connected to port b (The Nuvi is on port a):

          WD9EPF>APU25N,WIDE2-2,WIDE1-1::KA9FLX-9 :ackao

          Message Delivered.

          WD9EPF>APU25N,WIDE2-2,WIDE1-1::KA9FLX-9 :Directs(2)= KB9WGA-15 KC9BDX
          KC9MOP N9FI N9ZIP-15 W9BO-9

          From WD9EPF: Directs(2) KB9WGA-15 KC9BDX KC9MOP N9FI N9ZIP-15 W9BO-9

          As you can see, it appears the messages was ack'd. However, the Nuvi
          continued to send the message 5 more times until I deleted it from the
          outbox. Each time the above was repeated, only that the sequence
          number was different (ackap, ackba, ackbb, ackbc, ackbd).

          The Nuvi did alert for a new message and all of the responses were in
          the inbox on the Nuvi.

          This is where it gets strange. Occasionally, the Nuvi does stop the
          retries when the message is ack'd and I do not have to kill the
          message to stop it. I don't notice any difference in what is
          displayed on the terminal connected to port b.

          Also, if I send the same message from the command line using the dumb
          terminal on port B, the retries do not occur. It almost seems like
          the FMI in the Nuvi does not always process the ack. Assuming the
          tracker is always sending the ack to the Nuvi.

          It would take some time to set up, But I suppose I could capture the
          data between the Nuvi and the tracker, but as I recall that is Garmin
          Binary, so unless you can read it...

          In any event, now that I know what to look for, I'm going to take this
          out on a road test again and see if I can figure out what is or is not
          happening.

          73,
          Bob - KA9FLX