Nuvi350 and OT2m working OK now, TNX guys!

  • Margie and Dave
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2008
      Hi All,

      Great support from the group, many thanks all.

      I reset the Nuvi back to factory defaults to clear the collection of
      locations(waypoints. TNX Elmer.

      Gave up my settings but that is OK with me as I plan to use the Nuvi
      mostly for APRS.

      EasyGPS works great now that I found how to set up Preferences for the
      Nuvi. TNX John. Also gives a way to keep track of and count how many
      waypoints are in the Nuvi. Will be helpful in the memory management
      of waypoints.

      Setting MAXRANGE to 50 (miles) limits the accumulation of waypoints
      now. TNX Scott.

      Still need to find a better way to maintain active waypoints only.
      Resetting back to factory clears the Nuvi waypoints but is not very easy.

      So it is a usable mobile APRS map/messaging solution but needs
      tweaking to keep it working.

      Would I do all again...ABSOLUTLY!

      TNX all.

      73'S
      Dave
      VA3DK
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2008
        On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Margie and Dave <va3dk@...> wrote:

        > Still need to find a better way to maintain active waypoints only.

        Find a GPS manufacturer that has a time limit feature built into their
        onboard waypoint management routines.

        When you find one, let me know... I'm not going to hold my breath in
        the mean time.

        You'll have a hard time finding a GPS manufacturer that is excited
        about selling a feature that would automatically delete the user
        uploaded waypoints after a specified period.

        "Sure, our new GPS will let you put your favorite fishing hole into
        it's waypoint memory. Just make sure you get there within 24 hours,
        before the waypoint disappears."

        Our live data from the APRS network is a fairly unique use of the
        waypoint capability built into these units. There's only one GPS
        manufacturer that I know of that is building in support for APRS
        specifically, and we are working on them, trying to get waypoint
        timestamps and auto-deletion after a user configurable elapsed time.
        The APRS waypoints sent to an AvMap G5 end up in a specific APRS
        folder, and it is possible to delete the full folder with only a
        couple button presses, but auto-expiring waypoints would be the cat's
        meow!

      • Steven Palm
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2008
          On Sep 5, 2008, at 5:06 PM, Margie and Dave wrote:
          > Still need to find a better way to maintain active waypoints only.
          > Resetting back to factory clears the Nuvi waypoints but is not very
          > easy.

          On the Dispatch - Locations screen, isn't there a "Delete" button in
          the lower right? It's there at some point when I drill down to
          "Favorites", but I don't have my 350 in front of me right now to say
          exactly where. At any rate, that will delete the waypoints and not
          require a reset of any kind. It also blows away any waypoints you may
          have created on the Nuvi manually or loaded in externally, but it does
          work. I do this almost daily so that I can see a picture of who is
          out there "now" instead of the last time it was monitoring.

          Steve
        • Margie and Dave
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 15, 2008
            Hi Steve,
            You are quite correct. John also identified this way to delete the
            saved favorites without resetting, thanks!

            Yup, when I used this button to delete the favs(read that APRS tags),
            I also lost all the other saved points.

            This has limited the Nuvi350 to APRS use but that was my intent from
            the first, so this is OK with me.

            I can always use my trusty Mio C310 for steet nav etc. if the Nuvi is
            busy in APRS use.

            Maybe we have too many toys!

            When I am using the Nuvi for mobile APRS, I will follow your
            suggestion and clear the screen to see who is out there "now".

            Thanks,
            Dave
            VA3DK

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Steven Palm <n9yty@...> wrote:

            > On Sep 5, 2008, at 5:06 PM, Margie and Dave wrote:
            > > Still need to find a better way to maintain active waypoints only.
            > > Resetting back to factory clears the Nuvi waypoints but is not very
            > > easy.
            >
            > On the Dispatch - Locations screen, isn't there a "Delete" button in
            > the lower right? It's there at some point when I drill down to
            > "Favorites", but I don't have my 350 in front of me right now to say
            > exactly where. At any rate, that will delete the waypoints and not
            > require a reset of any kind. It also blows away any waypoints you may
            > have created on the Nuvi manually or loaded in externally, but it does
            > work. I do this almost daily so that I can see a picture of who is
            > out there "now" instead of the last time it was monitoring.
            >
            > Steve

          • Steven Palm
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 15, 2008
              On Sep 15, 2008, at 9:11 PM, Margie and Dave wrote:
              > Yup, when I used this button to delete the favs(read that APRS tags),
              > I also lost all the other saved points.

              ..But you don't loose "Recent Selections", so if you do input an
              address or place name to navigate to, even after deleting all
              waypoints it will remain in Recent Selections until pushed out.

              > I can always use my trusty Mio C310 for steet nav etc. if the Nuvi
              > is busy in APRS use.

              My wife uses the old Mio C310 in her van. :)

              > Maybe we have too many toys!

              Never..... ;)

              Steve