Re: [tracker2] Re: Nuvi350 "My Locations Memory is Full"

  • Brent Gay
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 4 7:07 AM
      Try the Garmin Mappoint software to manage your favs.

      As far as sending a message to people on the Internet, would an email work? If so, try -email <email@address> message.

      Brent

      On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Margie and Dave <va3dk@...> wrote:

      Tnx Fred,
      Some success here...
      You are right deleting waypoints is a GPS function but with the
      Nuvi350 I have to delete from "My Favorites" each location (waypoint)
      individually. Quite a daunting challenge. Did a few to stop the
      error message tho...
      Looked into the Nuvi via the PC but need to understand the file setup
      before any tweaking there. Is the Nuvi another canned Linux creation?
      Tnx Scott, I set "MAXRANGE" to minimize filling up the memory again.
      Rather cuts the map usage to close by areas tho.... Hmmmm a short
      sighted Nuvi?
      So now I can message to and from other APRS on VHF OK.
      Have not found a way to message to APRS guys via the internet like the
      D710's do. Any suggestions?
      Still meets my interest of mobile monitoring of nearby APRS guys.
      Seems to require a bit of tweaking to keep it running. Not quite a
      plug and pray tho...
      Beacons OK!
      After plugging in the Garmin dfata cable the Nuvi does go into FMI
      mode. Mine does go into FMI by adding a button called "DESPATCH"
      probably their programming was by an off shore guy without a spell
      checker on their computer! Oh yes my Nuvi stays in FMI even after the
      cables are removed. Very interesting...I thought it would fall back
      the former non FMI mode.
      Tried EasyGPS only to find out the Nuvi talks only in "Garmin"
      protocol not standard NEMA...:-(..lots of manual waypoint deletions to
      go yet...
      Does anyone have an easier way to remove unwanted locations(waypoints)?
      Did use the Garmin POI loader to remove a few of the POI lists I had
      in the Nuvi. Not sure if this has any effect on Location memory tho...

      Lots to learn and apply.
      73's

      Dave.

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

      > I keep a waypoint file so reloading my GPS is easy. First, I delete all
      > waypoints in GPS [GPS function], then load the waypoints back in.
      >
      > I use ExpertGPS for waypoint management. EasyGPS is free and without
      maps. I
      > also have an older GPS V. I do not know how the Nuvi and ExpertGPS
      will play
      > together. I suspect that using the serial port will work fine. I don't
      > believe USB GPS connection is supported yet.
      >
      > I imagine Mapsource can do the same waypoint management function. I
      don't
      > know. I have it but only use it for loading maps.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Fred
      >

      > _____

      Behalf
      > Of Margie and Dave
      > Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 22:46
      > To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [tracker2] Re: Nuvi350 "My Locations Memory is Full"
      >

      > Tnx for the suggestion.
      >
      > Do you use the PC to delete waypoints?
      >
      > If so how do you do this?
      > TIA.
      >
      > Dave.
      >
      > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>

      s.com, "Fred
      > Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Have you tried deleting waypoints?
      > >
      > > This is a good use of only displaying waypoints within a particular
      > range.
      > >

      > > _____
      > >
      > > From: tracker2@yahoogroup <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
      > [mailto:tracker2@yahoogroup <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>

      s.com] On
      > Behalf
      > > Of Margie and Dave
      > > Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 11:44
      > > To: tracker2@yahoogroup <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> s.com

      > > Subject: [tracker2] Nuvi350 "My Locations Memory is Full"
      > >

      > > Hi Guys,
      > > i have been running the Nuvi350 for a day or so now and got the "My
      > > Locations Memory is Full" message this morning.
      > >
      > > Tried powering down, resetting etc but still get the error message.
      > >
      > > A search of the group did not find a fix.
      > >
      > > Has anyone found a fix to get it working again?
      > >
      > > 73's
      > > Dave
      > > VA3DK

    • john paterson jr
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 4 7:40 AM
        Dave,

        Re: EasyGPS

        I tried EasyGPS with my Nuvi 350 this morning. I was able to view all the waypoints in EasyGPS. Also, the delete function appears on a right click. You can even make multiple selections and a right click will make "delete waypoints" available. I didn't try to actually delete any because I don't have any waypoints I want to delete, but you might try it again.
        I am using Windows XP SP2. In EasyGPS, at menu bar, I selected "GPS", then "Display GPS Information". In that dialog box, I added my two gps's, Garmin 76C and Nuvi 350. Then after a reboot of the PC, I ran EasyGPS again, Selected GPS, then Display GPS Information, then selected the Nuvi 350 and clicked OK. Almost immediately the Nuvi waypoints appeared on the screen in the lower left-hand window of EasyGPS.

        Good luck,

        John Paterson
        KC5LAA

      • Fred Hillhouse
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 4 7:55 AM
          John,

          It might be useful if the EasyGPS settings were added as well as the mode the Nuvi was in, for example, Garmin vs. NMEA, USB, etc.

          I have to have my GPS (Garmin GPS V) set to 'Garmin' in ExpertGPS. I suspect EasyGPS is the same.

          Thanks!
          Fred

          On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Margie and Dave <va3dk@yahoo. ca> wrote:

          Tnx Fred,
          Some success here...
          You are right deleting waypoints is a GPS function but with the
          Nuvi350 I have to delete from "My Favorites" each location (waypoint)
          individually. Quite a daunting challenge. Did a few to stop the
          error message tho...
          Looked into the Nuvi via the PC but need to understand the file setup
          before any tweaking there. Is the Nuvi another canned Linux creation?
          Tnx Scott, I set "MAXRANGE" to minimize filling up the memory again.
          Rather cuts the map usage to close by areas tho.... Hmmmm a short
          sighted Nuvi?
          So now I can message to and from other APRS on VHF OK.
          Have not found a way to message to APRS guys via the internet like the
          D710's do. Any suggestions?
          Still meets my interest of mobile monitoring of nearby APRS guys.
          Seems to require a bit of tweaking to keep it running. Not quite a
          plug and pray tho...
          Beacons OK!
          After plugging in the Garmin dfata cable the Nuvi does go into FMI
          mode. Mine does go into FMI by adding a button called "DESPATCH"
          probably their programming was by an off shore guy without a spell
          checker on their computer! Oh yes my Nuvi stays in FMI even after the
          cables are removed. Very interesting. ..I thought it would fall back
          the former non FMI mode.
          Tried EasyGPS only to find out the Nuvi talks only in "Garmin"
          protocol not standard NEMA...:-(.. lots of manual waypoint deletions to
          go yet...
          Does anyone have an easier way to remove unwanted locations(waypoints )?
          Did use the Garmin POI loader to remove a few of the POI lists I had
          in the Nuvi. Not sure if this has any effect on Location memory tho...

          Lots to learn and apply.
          73's
          Dave.

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@ ...> wrote:

          > I keep a waypoint file so reloading my GPS is easy. First, I delete all
          > waypoints in GPS [GPS function], then load the waypoints back in.
          >
          > I use ExpertGPS for waypoint management. EasyGPS is free and without
          maps. I
          > also have an older GPS V. I do not know how the Nuvi and ExpertGPS
          will play
          > together. I suspect that using the serial port will work fine. I don't
          > believe USB GPS connection is supported yet.
          >
          > I imagine Mapsource can do the same waypoint management function. I
          don't
          > know. I have it but only use it for loading maps.
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Fred
          >

          > _____

        • john paterson jr

> [...]

            in the Nuvi. Not sure if this has any effect on Location memory tho...

            Lots to learn and apply.
            73's
            Dave.

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

            > I keep a waypoint file so reloading my GPS is easy. First, I delete all
            > waypoints in GPS [GPS function], then load the waypoints back in.
            >
            > I use ExpertGPS for waypoint management. EasyGPS is free and without
            maps. I
            > also have an older GPS V. I do not know how the Nuvi and ExpertGPS
            will play
            > together. I suspect that using the serial port will work fine. I don't
            > believe USB GPS connection is supported yet.
            >
            > I imagine Mapsource can do the same waypoint management function. I
            don't
            > know. I have it but only use it for loading maps.

          • EM Sharp
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 4 9:15 AM
              Hi All:
              I am using a NUVI 650 which is a bit different from the 350, but in
              many ways similar as far a adding and deleting "favorites" is concerned.

              The only ways I have been successful in deleting waypoints is :
              1) select the individual way point in favorites and edit/delete it
              individually manually -- it takes many key entries per waypoint, 5 to
              many depending on where it is in the list.
              2) a "RESET" of all user data, including waypoints can be done by
              pressing the upper left corner (or on some units the lower left
              corner) of the display when turning the unit on. This leads to a start
              up in maintenance mode where "Clear Waypoints" is an option, but this
              also resets all other user entered options and restores the unit to
              the "factory shipped" state (also removing the unit from FMI mode).
              What a pain to restore the personal options individually/manually!

              I have tried EasyGPS. I have been able to read out the GPS data and
              delete waypoints from the PC display, but I too have not been
              successful in sending this info back to the NUVI and having it replace
              the Favorites stored in it. I hope this is my blunder and not a
              property of the program or the NUVI.

              Elmer

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "john paterson jr" <jpaterjr@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > 73's
              > > Dave.
              > >
              > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>, "Fred
              > > Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I keep a waypoint file so reloading my GPS is easy. First, I
              delete all
              > > > waypoints in GPS [GPS function], then load the waypoints back in.
              > > >
              > > > I use ExpertGPS for waypoint management. EasyGPS is free and without
              > > maps. I
              > > > also have an older GPS V. I do not know how the Nuvi and ExpertGPS
              > > will play
              > > > together. I suspect that using the serial port will work fine. I
              don't
              > > > believe USB GPS connection is supported yet.
              > > >
              > > > I imagine Mapsource can do the same waypoint management function. I
              > > don't
              > > > know. I have it but only use it for loading maps.

              <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com<tracker2%2540yahoogroups.com>

              > > s.com, "Fred

              > > > range.

              <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com<tracker2%2540yahoogroups.com>>
              > > s.com
              > > > [mailto:tracker2@yahoogroup
              <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com<tracker2%2540yahoogroups.com>

              > > s.com] On
              > > > Behalf
              <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com<tracker2%2540yahoogroups.com>>
              > > s.com

            • Margie and Dave
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 4 2:59 PM
                Hi John,
                Tnx for the info, I will try EasyGPS again.

                I assume you connected to a serial port (or USB serial
                adapter)directly, not via null modem crossover.

                That will make it easier to clear the Nuvi map screen of the outdated
                APRS tags. I left the system on for a day or so and the map screen
                was so full of tags. If I zoomed in I could find the exact location OK

                It would be neat if there was a way to clear the Nuvi map of tags that
                were no longer present. Could be quite complicated.
                Dave

              • john paterson jr
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 4 3:24 PM
                  Hi, Dave,

                  No. I used a USB cable. USB at the computer, and mini USB at the data port of the Nuvi. It worked just fine!

                  Have fun!

                  John

                • Margie and Dave
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 4 6:09 PM
                    Hi John,
                    I am using EasyGPS verion 2.9.4 the latest on my XP sp2 also.

                    I tried the Nuvi via USB but no recognition by EasyGPS when I selected
                    the "Display GPS Information" from the Menu.

                    My Nuvi stays in FMI mode even when the Garmin data(serial) cable is
                    not connected to the data port on the side.

                    I think your Nuvi may not be in FMI mode and that may account for
                    EasyGPS not seeing my Nuvi. Does anyone know how to froce the Nuvi
                    back into the regular non FMI mode?

                    The EasyGPS Help does lilst the supported Garmin but the Nuvi is not
                    on their list. Also the Help indicated the Garmin's needed to be in
                    4800 NEMA setup to work with EasyGPS. Maybe you have found an
                    undocunented feature of the EasyGPS program.

                    Dave.

                  • EM Sharp
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 4 8:25 PM
                      Hi Dave,
                      I suggest you read/reread my posting #4729. I attempted to address
                      your question on clearing FMI mode and erasing unwanted waypoints.
                      Elmer
                      -
                      -- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Margie and Dave" <va3dk@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > 40yahoogroups.com>, "Fred

                      > > > delete all
                      > back in.

                      > without
                      > ExpertGPS
                      > > > don't

                      > function. I

                      > <tracker2%40yahoogroups.com><tracker2%
                      > > > 40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:
                      > > > 40yahoogroups.com>] On
                      > <tracker2%
                      > > > 40yahoogroups.com>

                      > > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com <tracker2%2540yahoogroups.com>
                      > > > <tracker2%2540yahoogroups.com>

                      > > > particular

                      > > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com <tracker2%2540yahoogroups.com>
                      > > > <tracker2%2540yahoogroups.com>>
                      > > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com <tracker2%2540yahoogroups.com>
                      > > > <tracker2%2540yahoogroups.com>

                      > > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com <tracker2%2540yahoogroups.com>

                    • Barry L. Lankford
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 4 8:37 PM
                        I suspect that when you delete waypoints in EasyGPS, it only deletes them
                        in EasyGPS, but *not* from the GPS connected to the computer running
                        EasyGPS. See comments below:

                        Scott Miller wrote:
                        >> Is the capability to "only display waypoints within a particular range" a
                        >> Tracker2 capability or a Nuvi350 capability? I ask because I don't
                        >
                        > It's the MAXRANGE command on the T2.
                        >
                        >> distance limit. The T2 could do that by issuing Garmin "delete waypoint"
                        >> commands when the waypoints pass beyond the user set limit.
                        >
                        > Only there ARE no 'delete waypoint' commands. I've been begging for one
                        > for years now.

                        I was afraid of that. In fact, before I sent the post, I had intended to
                        change that sentence to read something like: "If there is a Garmin 'delete
                        waypoint' command, the T2 could do that by deleting each waypoint as the
                        waypoint passes beyond the user set limit." But my train of thought wasn't
                        long enough, and I forgot to change it. I have a copy of the Garmin
                        protocol document around here somewhere but wasn't able to find out where
                        I've saved it (I've got 4 old computers that still work).

                        Since there is apparently no "delete command" in either Garmin protocol or
                        NMEA, then it seems to me that the current discussion about using EasyGPS
                        to delete Nuvi waypoints is futile. If a Tracker2 can't do it, I can't see
                        how ANY external program or device can do it.

                        Too bad about the lack of the command. Seems like it'd be a natural for
                        the command set.

                        >> I've tried to convince both Scott and Byon to add a "callsign/SSID filter"
                        >> capability to their Tracker2 and TT4 (similar to the BUDLIST and LCALLS
                        >> capability of a full-blown TNC). This would be very handy for tracking a
                        >> balloon and the chase teams, maybe up to 8 or 10 callsign/SSIDs of 9 bytes
                        >> each, but as far as I know, neither of them as implemented that capability.
                        >> This would also allow easier use of the waypoint output capability with
                        >> GPSes that can't use Garmin binary protocol and must use the NMEA $GPWPL
                        >> method.
                        >
                        > 10 callsigns would take up about 70 bytes of configuration space. The
                        > T2 has 512 bytes of configuration space, split between two profiles.
                        > It's a feature I'd like to add, but it's not a trivial amount of space.
                        > It'll also require a new command to edit the list, but maybe it could
                        > be shared with the AUTHLIST handler.

                        Just a couple more thoughts:

                        Is there sufficient (volatile) RAM memory that could hold the list of
                        allowed (or disallowed) callsigns as long as power is maintained? Seems
                        like there'd have to be a good bit of RAM used as buffer space in the KISS
                        TNC mode that might not be used in the Tracker mode. Non-volatile
                        configuration memory would be best, but I could live with temporary. FWIW,
                        I figured it'd actually take more like 90 bytes to hold 10 callsign/SSIDs
                        (6 for the callsign + 3 for the SSID x 10 callsigns = 90 bytes). I suppose
                        you could use a hashing method to save a little space.

                        I still haven't located a copy of the Garmin protocol document, so I don't
                        know the format of the command that adds new waypoints or changes existing
                        ones, but is it possible that one of these commands could actually delete
                        waypoints by use of a specific way of passing the parameters of the
                        command? For example, If you entered zero's for latitude and longitude in
                        the waypoint command, you'd place a waypoint off the west coast of Africa
                        on the equator, but if you entered nulls (00h), is it possible that would
                        have the effect of deleting the waypoint? Seems like if something that
                        simple would do it, Garmin would say so in the spec, but I gotta ask!

                        I need to find that document or download another copy!

                        Barry N4MSJ
                      • Barry L. Lankford
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 4 11:15 PM
                          Brent Gay wrote:
                          > The ability to set the range of stations (in miles) that populate the Nuvi
                          > is a T2 feature...I believe the command is "maxrange" if I remember
                          > correctly.
                          >
                          > I use the Garmin Mappoint to manage my waypoints, so if I need to do a fresh
                          > reload I hook it up and just reload my saved favorites. I hardly ever do
                          > this though. I never do it due to full memories because I have maxrange set
                          > appropriately for my area.
                          >
                          > It works really well, and I am very happy with the product and the service
                          > Scott provides. You will be happy with the T2/Nuvi combo. Be careful

                          I think I have to disagree. Since I mentioned in my previous post that I'd
                          like to use the Tracker2/Nuvi 350 combo to track balloons and chase teams,
                          then I'm sure I would not be happy with it. Balloons have an annoying way
                          of traveling outside any reasonable "maxrange" limit, even if you are
                          attempting to keep up with it in a car.

                          I already have a TH-D7ag and a GPSMAP76CS. The TH-D7ag, which has the "POS
                          LIMIT" feature (apparently equivalent to the Tracker2 "maxrange" feature),
                          and the GPSMAP76CS, which in this application (tracking moving targets on a
                          map) is the equal to the Nuvi 350. Well, to put it simply, they don't do
                          it for me.

                          Furthermore, I once read a review of the TH-D7ag, and the reviewer pointed
                          out that the "POS LIMIT" feature was of very limited value as it didn't (or
                          wasn't able to) delete the waypoints as they pass outside the range set by
                          the user. He wrote that you'll severely limit your ability to display APRS
                          beacons, but will still end up with your waypoint memory full, albeit at a
                          slightly slower rate, and a "circle of waypoints" will be left on your
                          display at the set "POS LIMIT" value.

                          In my own use of the function on my TH-D7ag, I've found that to be
                          absolutely true. Even more, if you are using the combo in a moving car,
                          your GPS leaves a trail of non-updated waypoints behind you as they pass
                          outside the "POS LIMIT" due to your own movement *even* for those waypoints
                          from stationary trackers along your way.

                          Also, the accumulation of unwanted waypoints, besides getting co-mingled
                          with (and difficult to delete from) your own non-APRS waypoints, add
                          additional clutter to the display and slow up the screen refresh.

                          If I have access to my laptop wherever I'm doing my tracking, I can do as
                          you suggest, backup (and restore) my own mostly non-APRS waypoints, but it
                          is yet another aggravation that I'd like to avoid, and doesn't address the
                          issue of display clutter and slowdown. BTW, there are other workarounds
                          such as using APRS Group Names or using a particular waypoint symbol for
                          waypoints from the TH-D7 (or Tracker2) so that a group "delete by symbol"
                          can quickly delete them, but these workarounds, like nearly all
                          workarounds, all have irritations and/or disadvantages of their own.

                          > though...I think the only Nuvi that is fully-functional at this point is the
                          > Nuvi 350. The other models may leave breadcrumbs as stations as they move.

                          Yeah, I suspected that. That is true of other Garmin GPS models as well,
                          even some handheld models. It is actually dependent on firmware version in
                          some models. The firmware version I'm using in my GPSMAP76CS (v4.00 I
                          think) updates existing waypoints with the new position, and doesn't leave
                          the trail, essentially "moving" the waypoint. I think there have been two
                          updates to the firmware beyond the version I'm using. According to a
                          poster in another forum, the newer versions cause a trail of the old
                          waypoints (with appended sequence numbers) left behind so I haven't
                          uploaded them. Fortunately for me, the other changes added to those newer
                          versions, I believe, only affect treatment of names in some foreign
                          languages, so I don't need them. Some newer models don't have earlier
                          firmware versions that handled updated waypoints in the way the Nuvi 350
                          does. Apparently Garmin's programmers had a change of philosophy with
                          regard to the method of handling duplicate waypoint names 2 or 3 years ago.
                          I think it was a mistake.

                          > Search the posts for a listing of compatabilty. Besides you can get some
                          > very good deals on the 350 now anyways.
                          >
                          > Brent, KF4JZY
                          >
                          > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...>wrote:
                          >
                          >> I don't know how if many GPS units allow deleting waypoints from the
                          >> communication port. It appears Garmin mostly does not. I say mostly because
                          >> maybe the newer ones do. That is the first obstacle. The GPS firmware needs
                          >> updating. Once the GPS is updated, setting a waypoint age limit would be
                          >> nice. I like the time function on APRS.FI.
                          >>
                          >> Range limit, BUDLIST, etc are all nice features.
                          >>
                          >> Maybe the best option is a Asus EeePC [cheaper than many GPS units] coupled
                          >> with the T2, running XASTIR. The mapping options far outstrip every GPS I
                          >> have ever seen. This is the direction I am heading. Since I am not running
                          >> XASTIR yet, I don't know if the above features have been implemented.

                          Too expensive for my pocketbook since I already have a good mapping GPS and
                          two laptops. IIRC, the first two generations of the eeePC have a number of
                          limitations to reduce cost and size, so I'd be carful to confirm that it
                          has the hardware resources to run a useable installation of XASTIR before
                          plunking down the cash. For example, what source of mapping does XASTIR
                          use? Is it on a CD/DVD? If so, does the eeePC have a CD/DVD reader or
                          sufficient mass memory to hold a good collection of maps? If I remember
                          correctly, XASTIR runs natively under Linux, and I believe the first
                          versions of the eeePC also run Linux, so you'd probably be OK in that
                          regard, but I'd check it to be sure.

                          Barry N4MSJ

                          >> best regards,
                          >> Fred

                          >>> Dave
                          >>> VA3DK

                        • Fred Hillhouse
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 5 6:14 AM
                            "I suspect that when you delete waypoints in EasyGPS, it only deletes them
                            in EasyGPS, but *not* from the GPS connected to the computer running
                            EasyGPS."

                            You are correct about EasyGPS. There is no way to delete waypoints in most,
                            if not all Garmin GPS units. All EasyGPS does is provide a storage for the
                            waypoints you mostly always want. I would take the GPS to the PC, delete all
                            waypoints, then connect and reload my regular waypoints.

                            Now Magellan does have GPS receives with a software controlled delete to the
                            best of my knowledge. If I had one connected to ExpertGPS, the delete option
                            is available.

                            "Too expensive for my pocketbook since I already have a good mapping GPS and
                            two laptops."

                            I understand completely! I don't have a laptop so the EeePC appears to make
                            sense, since I only would like a laptop for mobile use. It is a cheap,
                            rugged unit. My brother has a 4G model with WinXP. He has loaded Mapsource
                            for trip planning an such. He also runs the units with the top closed as an
                            MP3 player on his motorcycle. He recently completed a trip from New
                            Hampshire to Malibu, CA and back with many others points in between. In
                            fact, it ran all the way across the desert along I-15.

                            "What source of mapping does XASTIR use?"

                            I think the question is more like, how many types are enough? It appears to
                            support just about everything. I think I even saw the kitchen sink in there.

                            "Is it on a CD/DVD? If so, does the eeePC have a CD/DVD reader or sufficient
                            mass memory to hold a good collection of maps?"

                            Your definition of a good collection is certainly subjective. However, the
                            EeePC has a USB port that an external hard drive or DVD drive can be
                            connected to.

                            "If I remember correctly, XASTIR runs natively under Linux"

                            True, but it does run under VMWare in Windows.

                            "and I believe the first versions of the eeePC also run Linux"

                            Yes, there are both flavors; Linux and Windows.

                            The EeePC comes in a 2G, 4G (Linux & WinXP), 12G (WinXP), 20G (GNU Linux)
                            Version. The 12G and 20G I believe are 4G drives and a second drive for the
                            difference.

                            For XASTIR, I recommend their group: http://www.xastir.org Someone maybe
                            soon working on documentation (Wiki) for an install onto the EeePC.

                            Best regards,
                            Fred
                          • Brent Gay
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 5 6:26 AM
                              I understand your dilemma. Hopefully you can find a product that will meet your needs. Let us know what you come up with in case others need the same capabilities.

                              73,
                              Brent, KF4JZY

                              On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 1:15 AM, Barry L. Lankford <BarryL@...> wrote:

                              Brent Gay wrote:
> [...]

                              >> with the T2, running XASTIR. The mapping options far outstrip every GPS I
                              >> have ever seen. This is the direction I am heading. Since I am not running
                              >> XASTIR yet, I don't know if the above features have been implemented.

                              Too expensive for my pocketbook since I already have a good mapping GPS and
                              two laptops. IIRC, the first two generations of the eeePC have a number of
                              limitations to reduce cost and size, so I'd be carful to confirm that it
                              has the hardware resources to run a useable installation of XASTIR before
                              plunking down the cash. For example, what source of mapping does XASTIR
                              use? Is it on a CD/DVD? If so, does the eeePC have a CD/DVD reader or
                              sufficient mass memory to hold a good collection of maps? If I remember
                              correctly, XASTIR runs natively under Linux, and I believe the first
                              versions of the eeePC also run Linux, so you'd probably be OK in that

                              >>> Dave
                              >>> VA3DK

                            • Margie and Dave
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 5 9:15 AM
                                Hi Elmer,

                                Tnx for the reset info.

                                It was holding the top left corner on my Nuvi that reset it back to
                                the "Maintenance Mode". The Nuvi is back to factory setup now to try
                                again, but now with a very limited MAXRANGE on the OT2m and see how
                                that works.

                                Thanks again.

                                Dave

                                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "EM Sharp" <wa2ysm@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Dave,
                                > I suggest you read/reread my posting #4729. I attempted to address
                                > your question on clearing FMI mode and erasing unwanted waypoints.
                                > Elmer
                                > -
                                > -- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Margie and Dave" <va3dk@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi John,
                                > > I am using EasyGPS verion 2.9.4 the latest on my XP sp2 also.
                                > >
                                > > I tried the Nuvi via USB but no recognition by EasyGPS when I selected
                                > > the "Display GPS Information" from the Menu.
                                > >
                                > > My Nuvi stays in FMI mode even when the Garmin data(serial) cable is
                                > > not connected to the data port on the side.
                                > >
                                > > I think your Nuvi may not be in FMI mode and that may account for
                                > > EasyGPS not seeing my Nuvi. Does anyone know how to froce the Nuvi
                                > > back into the regular non FMI mode?
                                > >
                                > > The EasyGPS Help does lilst the supported Garmin but the Nuvi is not
                                > > on their list. Also the Help indicated the Garmin's needed to be in
                                > > 4800 NEMA setup to work with EasyGPS. Maybe you have found an
                                > > undocunented feature of the EasyGPS program.
                                > >
                                > > Dave.
                                > >

                                > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "john paterson jr" <jpaterjr@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Hi, Dave,
                                > > > No. I used a USB cable. USB at the computer, and mini USB at the
                                > > data port
                                > > > of the Nuvi. It worked just fine!
                                > > >
                                > > > Have fun!
                                > > >
                                > > > John

                                > outdated
                                > location OK

                                > tags that

                                > because I
                                > gps's,
                                > > again,

                                > > (waypoint)
                                > > file setup
                                > > creation?
                                > > again.
                                > short
                                > > like the
                                > guys.
                                > quite a
                                > into FMI
                                > spell
                                > > after the
                                > > back
                                > > deletions to
                                > > I had
                                > > memory tho...

                                > > <tracker2%40yahoogroups.com><tracker2%

                                > > back in.

                                > > without
                                > > ExpertGPS
                                > fine. I

                                > > function. I

                                > > <tracker2%40yahoogroups.com><tracker2%
                                > > <tracker2%
                                Full"

                              • Elmer Sharp
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 5 7:56 PM
                                  Glad to hear it is working out for you OK. Now you will get a big
                                  string of cookie crumbs from your packets that will fill it up again. I
                                  sure wish Garmin would listen to our woes and do something about it. OR
                                  do you have the NUVI 350 which is the only one that currently cleans up
                                  the crumbs-- if so consider yourself lucky, but my 650 screen is a lot
                                  nicer. I have used both 350 with a Red Cross project and my personal
                                  NUVI is a 650 so I get to see both.

                                  Elmer

                                  Margie and Dave wrote:

> [...]
                                  > > quite a
                                  > > into FMI
                                  > "DESPATCH"
                                  > > spell
                                  > > > after the
                                  > fall
                                  > > > back
                                  > > > deletions to
                                  > > > I had
                                  > > > memory tho...

                                  > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  > > > <tracker2%40yahoogr oups.com> <tracker2%

                                  > > > back in.

                                  > > > without
                                  > > > ExpertGPS
                                  > > fine. I

                                  > > > function. I

                                  > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  > > > <tracker2%40yahoogr oups.com> <tracker2%
                                  > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> <tracker2%40yahoogr oups.com>
                                  > <tracker2%
                                  > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> <tracker2%40yahoogr oups.com>

                                • Randy Love
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 5 8:16 PM
                                    Well, maybe it's just my Nuvi 360, but I don't have to go to the Maintenance Menu at startup to delete all my waypoints.
                                    The 360 does cookie crumb, but I found that I can delete all the waypoints by going here:

                                    Dispatch->Find Location->My Locations

                                    and then pressing the Delete All button in the lower right hand corner.

                                    Sure beats the complete reset that happens via the Maintenance Menu and is a lot quicker than deleting the points one by one.
                                    I can do this at any time to clear excessive waypoints but not lose my messages or other settings.
                                    Having MAXRANGE set to a usable value is important too.

                                    I have used EasyGPS to get and put waypoints to my Nuvi 360. It doesn't ever seem to load the files I put back on it tho.
                                    Anyone have ideas about why that is so?

                                    73,
                                    Randy
                                    WF5X

                                    Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 10:56 PM

                                    Margie and Dave wrote:

                                    > Hi
                                    Elmer,

                                    > Tnx for the reset info.
                                    >
                                    > It was holding
                                    the top left corner on my Nuvi that reset it back to
                                    > the "Maintenance
                                    Mode". The Nuvi is back to factory setup now to try
                                    > again, but now with
                                    a very limited MAXRANGE on the OT2m and see how
                                    > that
                                    works.

                                    > Thanks again.
                                    >
                                    > Dave
                                    >
                                    > --- In
                                    tracker2@yahoogroup s.com <mailto:tracker2% 40yahoogroups. com>,
                                    > "EM Sharp" <wa2ysm@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi
                                    Dave,
                                    > > I suggest you read/reread my posting #4729. I attempted to
                                    address
                                    > > your question on clearing FMI mode and erasing unwanted
                                    waypoints.
                                    > > Elmer
                                    > > -
                                    > > -- In
                                    tracker2@yahoogroup s.com <mailto:tracker2% 40yahoogroups. com>,
                                    > "Margie and Dave" <va3dk@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Hi John,
                                    > > > I am using EasyGPS verion 2.9.4 the latest on my
                                    XP sp2 also.

                                    > > > I tried the Nuvi via USB but no
                                    recognition by EasyGPS when I selected
                                    > > > the "Display GPS
                                    Information" from the Menu.

                                    tracker2@yahoogroup s.com

                                    Dave,
                                    > > > data port
                                    It worked just fine!

                                    fun!

                                    <jpaterjr@> wrote:

                                    > view
                                    the
                                    > right
                                    > make

                                    because I

                                    have any waypoints I want to delete, but you might try it again.

                                    gps's,
                                    and Nuvi 350. Then after a reboot of the PC, I ran EasyGPS

                                    again,
                                    Information, then selected
                                    > the Nuvi
                                    and
                                    > on the

                                    Tnx Fred,
                                    > with the
                                    delete from "My Favorites" each location
                                    > > > (waypoint)
                                    > stop the
                                    > > > file setup
                                    > > > creation?
                                    "MAXRANGE" to minimize filling up the memory
                                    > > > again.
                                    > > short
                                    Nuvi?
                                    to message to APRS guys via the internet
                                    > > > like the
                                    > > guys.
                                    tweaking to keep it running. Not
                                    > > quite a

                                    Beacons OK!
                                    > > into FMI

                                    "DESPATCH"
                                    > > spell
                                    > > > after the
                                    Very interesting. ..I thought it would
                                    > fall

                                    back
                                    NEMA...:-(.. lots of manual waypoint
                                    > > > deletions to
                                    anyone have an easier way to remove unwanted

                                    locations(waypoints )?
                                    POI loader to remove a few of the POI lists
                                    > > > I had
                                    Location
                                    > > > memory tho...

                                    Dave.

                                    <mailto:tracker2% 40yahoogroups. com>

                                    <tracker2%40yahoogr oups.com> <tracker2%

                                    40yahoogroups. com>, "Fred

                                    > > > back in.

                                    management. EasyGPS is free and
                                    > > > without
                                    older GPS V. I do not know how the Nuvi and
                                    > > > ExpertGPS
                                    > > fine.

                                    believe USB GPS connection is supported yet.

                                    > > > function. I
                                    have it but only use it for loading maps.

                                    <mailto:tracker2% 40yahoogroups. com>

                                    <tracker2%40yahoogr oups.com> <tracker2%

                                    40yahoogroups. com> [mailto:

                                    tracker2@yahoogroup s.com

                                    <mailto:tracker2% 40yahoogroups. com> <tracker2%40yahoogr oups.com>
                                    > <tracker2%
                                    com>] On

                                    <mailto:tracker2% 40yahoogroups. com> <tracker2%40yahoogr oups.com>
                                    > > > <tracker2%

                                    40yahoogroups. com>
                                    [tracker2] Re: Nuvi350 "My Locations Memory is
                                    > Full"

                                    the suggestion.

                                    how do you do this?

                                    Dave.

                                    tracker2@yahoogroup
                                    40yahoogroups. com <tracker2%2540yahoo
                                    > groups.com>

                                    [mailto:tracker2@ yahoogroup
                                    40yahoogroups. com <tracker2%2540yahoo
                                    > groups.com>

                                    Of Margie and Dave
                                    Tuesday, September 02, 2008 11:44
                                    40yahoogroups. com <tracker2%2540yahoo
                                    > groups.com>
                                    [tracker2] Nuvi350 "My Locations Memory is Full"

                                    running the Nuvi350 for a day or so now
                                    > and got
                                    Full" message this morning.

                                    resetting etc but still get the error

                                    message.

                                  • john paterson jr

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 7 6:07 PM
                                        Hi John,

                                        With the Nuvi in FMI, and in "My Locations" I found the delete button
                                        that works great, TNX.

                                        This makes the screen refresh a very easy now. At least when the
                                        screen fills again, up only the new active tags will be seen and the
                                        "old" tags will not been there.

                                        Great help, thanks.

                                        Dave.

                                        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "john paterson jr" <jpaterjr@...> wrote:

                                        > I just found out that on my Nuvi 350, which has never been put into
                                        Dispatch
                                        > mode, I can go to "Where To?"->"My Locations", and in the lower
                                        right corner
                                        > there is a button to "Delete All". Tapping that button brings
                                        message, "Are
                                        > you sure you want to delete all Favorites and Custom POIs?" So that also
                                        > avoids deleting points one by one or the complete reset.
                                        > John Paterson
                                        >
                                        > On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Well, maybe it's just my Nuvi 360, but I don't have to go to the
                                        > > Maintenance Menu at startup to delete all my waypoints.
                                        > > The 360 does cookie crumb, but I found that I can delete all the
                                        waypoints
                                        > > by going here:
                                        > >
                                        > > Dispatch->Find Location->My Locations
                                        > >
                                        > > and then pressing the Delete All button in the lower right hand
                                        corner.

                                        > > Sure beats the complete reset that happens via the Maintenance
                                        Menu and is
                                        > > a lot quicker than deleting the points one by one.
                                        > > I can do this at any time to clear excessive waypoints but not lose my
                                        > > messages or other settings.
                                        > > Having MAXRANGE set to a usable value is important too.
                                        > >
                                        > > I have used EasyGPS to get and put waypoints to my Nuvi 360. It
                                        doesn't
                                        > > ever seem to load the files I put back on it tho.
                                        > > Anyone have ideas about why that is so?
                                        > >
                                        > > 73,
                                        > > Randy
                                        > > WF5X