Transmit Inhibit

  • Garrett Sloan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2008
      Afternoon Scott, I received my OT2 and parts the other day (in a
      order from VE6SBS) thank you, I guess I have to get James his unit
      back now...
      A quick question, I've allready dissassembled my nuvi350 and the
      mount (easier than I thought) in plans to enable it to be a single
      usb connection/garmin serial connection via the mounts connector,
      hopefully I'll get to that this weekend and have pics and info up
      soon. One thing I wanted to incorporate into my install was a PTT
      inhibit switch, to kill the beaconing if I want to tune elsewhere on
      my radio's vhf band. I was going to use a transisitor on the PTT out
      to my radio switched from a switch mounted at the nuvi to kill it
      when pulled low, but then I ran across this:

      > It's been a long time since I tested this, BUT... I had it set up
      so
      > that if you turned on shared PTT *without* running in mic encoder
      mode,
      > it'd use the PTT input line as an extra carrier detect / transmit
      > inhibit line.
      >
      > I did this when I was running a couple of OpenTrackers on the same
      radio
      > as the IGate T2, all connected using Y-adapters. It kept them from
      > stepping on each other.
      >
      > Scott

      I plan on using profile switching based on voltage to change
      beaconing and power up/down the nuvi via a 5V reg, otherwise I'de use
      the jumper input to get a PTT inhibit, but from what you posted, will
      taking PTT_Input low also inhibit the PPT_Output?

      Thanks in advance.

      Garrett
      VE6RKY
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2008
        > I plan on using profile switching based on voltage to change
        > beaconing and power up/down the nuvi via a 5V reg, otherwise I'de use
        > the jumper input to get a PTT inhibit, but from what you posted, will
        > taking PTT_Input low also inhibit the PPT_Output?

        I wouldn't guarantee it - I think things like text messaging override
        the PTT input.