Re: Recieving APRS data on Garmin GPSMap60CSX

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
      Would this also work on a Garmin Vista (not colour) ?
    • CASEY TIPPMANN
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
        Thats wierd. Ive made a few trips with mine 1000+ miles and never
        had a single bread crumb. I started out in NMEA mode and had the
        bread crumb problem and a number of scrambled station ID`s. But the
        moment i switched them to garmin that all went away. Oh well, chalk
        it up to just plain old random-ness.

        Casey Tippmann, KC0VZN
        Maint. officer
        Pennington County Search and Rescue(PC-SAR.COM)
        Rapid city, SD

        P.S. im still waiting on the edge of my seat for the T2/5watt
        tranciever that was talked about a while back. i would love to be
        able to use my HT trackers as digis as well

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Bob Poortinga <bobp+yahoo@...> wrote:

        > > i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode,
        but
        > > the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode.
        >
        > I run a GPSMap 60Cs with at T2-135. Unfortunately, running the
        60Cs in
        > Garmin mode results in the "bread crumb" waypoint problem and the
        display
        > quickly becomes cluttered with duplicate waypoints. I run mine in
        NMEA

        <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
        > Bloomington, Indiana US

      • k9sarfrog
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
          The Garmin unit is set to UTM with WGS84. I assume since it is
          providing the data to the tracker, that it should also be recieving.

          Can I exclude the Garmin from testing the RX piece of the tracker?
          What about testing the output (RX) via UI-View.
          I assume all I need to do is set the com-port?

          To answer some of the previous questions

          On the GPSMap60csx
          was running 3.30
          now running 3.70

          firmware Build for Tracker
          Was 54100
          Now 54680

          Quick note about the tracker fireware upgrade, I did tell it to use
          my existing settings, it still defaulted the value of the port A type
          to Auto.

          Here is the revision history for the Garmin
          http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1245

          Thanks
          Chris
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
            The older eTrex Vista (not USB) should work fine.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 3, 2008
              It's the interface mode that matters - should have options for NMEA
              IN/OUT and GARMIN.

              Yes, you can just connect to the T2 using a comm program. Make sure
              port A is in AUTO mode and not GARMIN to get a command prompt.

              Scott