Re: Recieving APRS data on Garmin GPSMap60CSX

  • k9sarfrog
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
      yes the garmin is also in Garmin Mode. And the tracker unit is TX so
      that part is working. And the LED for the RX is lightening up as
      well.

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
        Hmmm... I've got the 60CS and it works perfectly. What firmware
        revision do you have in yours?

        Scott

        Bob Poortinga wrote:

        > > i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode, but
        > > the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode.
        >
        > I run a GPSMap 60Cs with at T2-135. Unfortunately, running the 60Cs in
        > Garmin mode results in the "bread crumb" waypoint problem and the display
        > quickly becomes cluttered with duplicate waypoints. I run mine in NMEA
        > mode without problems. However, all APRS objects have the blue flag symbol.
        >
        > 73 de
        > --
        > Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga
        > <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>>
        > Bloomington, Indiana US

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
          Would this also work on a Garmin Vista (not colour) ?
        • CASEY TIPPMANN
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
            Thats wierd. Ive made a few trips with mine 1000+ miles and never
            had a single bread crumb. I started out in NMEA mode and had the
            bread crumb problem and a number of scrambled station ID`s. But the
            moment i switched them to garmin that all went away. Oh well, chalk
            it up to just plain old random-ness.

            Casey Tippmann, KC0VZN
            Maint. officer
            Pennington County Search and Rescue(PC-SAR.COM)
            Rapid city, SD

            P.S. im still waiting on the edge of my seat for the T2/5watt
            tranciever that was talked about a while back. i would love to be
            able to use my HT trackers as digis as well

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Bob Poortinga <bobp+yahoo@...> wrote:

            > > i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode,
            but
            > > the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode.
            >
            > I run a GPSMap 60Cs with at T2-135. Unfortunately, running the
            60Cs in
            > Garmin mode results in the "bread crumb" waypoint problem and the
            display
            > quickly becomes cluttered with duplicate waypoints. I run mine in
            NMEA
            > mode without problems. However, all APRS objects have the blue
            flag symbol.

            > 73 de
            > --
            > Bob Poortinga K9SQL
            <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
            > Bloomington, Indiana US

          • k9sarfrog
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
              The Garmin unit is set to UTM with WGS84. I assume since it is
              providing the data to the tracker, that it should also be recieving.

              Can I exclude the Garmin from testing the RX piece of the tracker?
              What about testing the output (RX) via UI-View.
              I assume all I need to do is set the com-port?

              To answer some of the previous questions

              On the GPSMap60csx
              was running 3.30
              now running 3.70

              firmware Build for Tracker
              Was 54100
              Now 54680

              Quick note about the tracker fireware upgrade, I did tell it to use
              my existing settings, it still defaulted the value of the port A type
              to Auto.

              Here is the revision history for the Garmin
              http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1245

              Thanks
              Chris
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                The older eTrex Vista (not USB) should work fine.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 3, 2008
                  It's the interface mode that matters - should have options for NMEA
                  IN/OUT and GARMIN.

                  Yes, you can just connect to the T2 using a comm program. Make sure
                  port A is in AUTO mode and not GARMIN to get a command prompt.

                  Scott