Re: [tracker2] Re: Recieving APRS data on Garmin GPSMap60CSX

  • Jason KG4WSV
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
      On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 8:51 AM, k9sarfrog <both@...> wrote:
      > Yes. I am now in Garmin mode with 9600 baud selected (still has the
      > autobaud selected). Here is a screenshot what was my configuration
      > before changing Serial Port A.

      that's the T2 mode; the GPS unit also has to be in garmin/9600 mode.
      The GPS doesn't have an "auto" mode, so it has to be set manually.

      The GPS will do NMEA or Garmin binary, but you must manually switch it.

      Sorry if this is unnecessary advice, but it wasn't clear to me that
      your GPS is in the correct mode, and both devices must match.

      -Jason
      kg4wsv
    • Bob Poortinga
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
        > i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode, but
        > the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode.

        I run a GPSMap 60Cs with at T2-135. Unfortunately, running the 60Cs in
        Garmin mode results in the "bread crumb" waypoint problem and the display
        quickly becomes cluttered with duplicate waypoints. I run mine in NMEA
        mode without problems. However, all APRS objects have the blue flag symbol.

        73 de
        --
        Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
        Bloomington, Indiana US
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
          yes the garmin is also in Garmin Mode. And the tracker unit is TX so
          that part is working. And the LED for the RX is lightening up as
          well.

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
            Hmmm... I've got the 60CS and it works perfectly. What firmware
            revision do you have in yours?

            Scott

            Bob Poortinga wrote:

            > > i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode, but
            > > the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode.
            >
            > I run a GPSMap 60Cs with at T2-135. Unfortunately, running the 60Cs in
            > Garmin mode results in the "bread crumb" waypoint problem and the display
            > quickly becomes cluttered with duplicate waypoints. I run mine in NMEA
            > mode without problems. However, all APRS objects have the blue flag symbol.
            >
            > 73 de
            > --
            > Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga
            > <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>>
            > Bloomington, Indiana US

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
              Would this also work on a Garmin Vista (not colour) ?
            • CASEY TIPPMANN
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                Thats wierd. Ive made a few trips with mine 1000+ miles and never
                had a single bread crumb. I started out in NMEA mode and had the
                bread crumb problem and a number of scrambled station ID`s. But the
                moment i switched them to garmin that all went away. Oh well, chalk
                it up to just plain old random-ness.

                Casey Tippmann, KC0VZN
                Maint. officer
                Pennington County Search and Rescue(PC-SAR.COM)
                Rapid city, SD

                P.S. im still waiting on the edge of my seat for the T2/5watt
                tranciever that was talked about a while back. i would love to be
                able to use my HT trackers as digis as well

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Bob Poortinga <bobp+yahoo@...> wrote:

                > > i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode,
                but
                > > the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode.
                >
                > I run a GPSMap 60Cs with at T2-135. Unfortunately, running the
                60Cs in
                > Garmin mode results in the "bread crumb" waypoint problem and the
                display
                > quickly becomes cluttered with duplicate waypoints. I run mine in
                NMEA
                > mode without problems. However, all APRS objects have the blue
                flag symbol.

                > 73 de
                > --
                > Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
                > Bloomington, Indiana US

              • k9sarfrog
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                  The Garmin unit is set to UTM with WGS84. I assume since it is
                  providing the data to the tracker, that it should also be recieving.

                  Can I exclude the Garmin from testing the RX piece of the tracker?
                  What about testing the output (RX) via UI-View.
                  I assume all I need to do is set the com-port?

                  To answer some of the previous questions

                  On the GPSMap60csx
                  was running 3.30
                  now running 3.70

                  firmware Build for Tracker
                  Was 54100
                  Now 54680

                  Quick note about the tracker fireware upgrade, I did tell it to use
                  my existing settings, it still defaulted the value of the port A type
                  to Auto.

                  Here is the revision history for the Garmin
                  http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1245

                  Thanks
                  Chris
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                    The older eTrex Vista (not USB) should work fine.

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 3, 2008
                      It's the interface mode that matters - should have options for NMEA
                      IN/OUT and GARMIN.

                      Yes, you can just connect to the T2 using a comm program. Make sure
                      port A is in AUTO mode and not GARMIN to get a command prompt.

                      Scott