Re: [tracker2] Re: Recieving APRS data on Garmin GPSMap60CSX

  • Jason KG4WSV
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1 4:46 AM
      On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:46 PM, k9sarfrog <both@...> wrote:
      > I changed the mode for Serial Port A from auto to Garmin and 9600
      > baud with autobaud selected.

      the GPS needs to be in Garmin 9600 mode; NMEA 4800 is the default.

      -Jason
      kg4wsv
    • CASEY TIPPMANN
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1 6:39 AM
        i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode, but
        the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode. ou can
        access the mode setting for the gps from the main menu(press menu
        twice) page sequence should be....MAIN MENU>SETUP>INTERFACE. there may
        be 2 or 3 different garmin modes(garmin in/nmea out....), you want the
        one thats Garmin in/out.

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Jason KG4WSV" <kg4wsv@...> wrote:

        > On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:46 PM, k9sarfrog <both@...> wrote:
        > > I changed the mode for Serial Port A from auto to Garmin and 9600
        > > baud with autobaud selected.
        >
        > the GPS needs to be in Garmin 9600 mode; NMEA 4800 is the default.
        >
        > -Jason
        > kg4wsv

      • k9sarfrog
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1 6:51 AM
          Yes. I am now in Garmin mode with 9600 baud selected (still has the
          autobaud selected). Here is a screenshot what was my configuration
          before changing Serial Port A.

          http://www.treefrog.org/opentrackercfg.jpg

          -Chris

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "CASEY TIPPMANN" <imtippmann@...>
          wrote:

          > i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode,
          but
          > the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode. ou
          can
          > access the mode setting for the gps from the main menu(press menu
          > twice) page sequence should be....MAIN MENU>SETUP>INTERFACE. there
          may
          > be 2 or 3 different garmin modes(garmin in/nmea out....), you want
          the
          > one thats Garmin in/out.
          >

          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Jason KG4WSV" <kg4wsv@> wrote:
          > >
          > > On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:46 PM, k9sarfrog <both@> wrote:
          > > > I changed the mode for Serial Port A from auto to Garmin and
          9600
          > > > baud with autobaud selected.
          > >
          > > the GPS needs to be in Garmin 9600 mode; NMEA 4800 is the default.
          > >
          > > -Jason
          > > kg4wsv

        • Jason KG4WSV
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1 7:40 AM
            On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 8:51 AM, k9sarfrog <both@...> wrote:
            > Yes. I am now in Garmin mode with 9600 baud selected (still has the
            > autobaud selected). Here is a screenshot what was my configuration
            > before changing Serial Port A.

            that's the T2 mode; the GPS unit also has to be in garmin/9600 mode.
            The GPS doesn't have an "auto" mode, so it has to be set manually.

            The GPS will do NMEA or Garmin binary, but you must manually switch it.

            Sorry if this is unnecessary advice, but it wasn't clear to me that
            your GPS is in the correct mode, and both devices must match.

            -Jason
            kg4wsv
          • Bob Poortinga
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1 8:10 AM
              > i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode, but
              > the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode.

              I run a GPSMap 60Cs with at T2-135. Unfortunately, running the 60Cs in
              Garmin mode results in the "bread crumb" waypoint problem and the display
              quickly becomes cluttered with duplicate waypoints. I run mine in NMEA
              mode without problems. However, all APRS objects have the blue flag symbol.

              73 de
              --
              Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
              Bloomington, Indiana US
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1 8:11 AM
                yes the garmin is also in Garmin Mode. And the tracker unit is TX so
                that part is working. And the LED for the RX is lightening up as
                well.

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 1 9:17 AM
                  Hmmm... I've got the 60CS and it works perfectly. What firmware
                  revision do you have in yours?

                  Scott

                  Bob Poortinga wrote:

                  > > i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode, but
                  > > the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode.
                  >
                  > I run a GPSMap 60Cs with at T2-135. Unfortunately, running the 60Cs in
                  > Garmin mode results in the "bread crumb" waypoint problem and the display
                  > quickly becomes cluttered with duplicate waypoints. I run mine in NMEA
                  > mode without problems. However, all APRS objects have the blue flag symbol.
                  >
                  > 73 de
                  > --
                  > Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga
                  > <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>>
                  > Bloomington, Indiana US

                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 1 9:20 AM
                    Would this also work on a Garmin Vista (not colour) ?
                  • CASEY TIPPMANN
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 1 10:54 AM
                      Thats wierd. Ive made a few trips with mine 1000+ miles and never
                      had a single bread crumb. I started out in NMEA mode and had the
                      bread crumb problem and a number of scrambled station ID`s. But the
                      moment i switched them to garmin that all went away. Oh well, chalk
                      it up to just plain old random-ness.

                      Casey Tippmann, KC0VZN
                      Maint. officer
                      Pennington County Search and Rescue(PC-SAR.COM)
                      Rapid city, SD

                      P.S. im still waiting on the edge of my seat for the T2/5watt
                      tranciever that was talked about a while back. i would love to be
                      able to use my HT trackers as digis as well

                      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Bob Poortinga <bobp+yahoo@...> wrote:

                      > > i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode,
                      but
                      > > the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode.
                      >
                      > I run a GPSMap 60Cs with at T2-135. Unfortunately, running the
                      60Cs in
                      > Garmin mode results in the "bread crumb" waypoint problem and the
                      display
                      > quickly becomes cluttered with duplicate waypoints. I run mine in
                      NMEA
                      > mode without problems. However, all APRS objects have the blue
                      flag symbol.

                      > 73 de
                      > --
                      > Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                      <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
                      > Bloomington, Indiana US

                    • k9sarfrog
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 1 3:46 PM
                        The Garmin unit is set to UTM with WGS84. I assume since it is
                        providing the data to the tracker, that it should also be recieving.

                        Can I exclude the Garmin from testing the RX piece of the tracker?
                        What about testing the output (RX) via UI-View.
                        I assume all I need to do is set the com-port?

                        To answer some of the previous questions

                        On the GPSMap60csx
                        was running 3.30
                        now running 3.70

                        firmware Build for Tracker
                        Was 54100
                        Now 54680

                        Quick note about the tracker fireware upgrade, I did tell it to use
                        my existing settings, it still defaulted the value of the port A type
                        to Auto.

                        Here is the revision history for the Garmin
                        http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1245

                        Thanks
                        Chris
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 2 9:52 PM
                          The older eTrex Vista (not USB) should work fine.

                          Scott

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 3 7:44 PM
                            It's the interface mode that matters - should have options for NMEA
                            IN/OUT and GARMIN.

                            Yes, you can just connect to the T2 using a comm program. Make sure
                            port A is in AUTO mode and not GARMIN to get a command prompt.

                            Scott