Re: [tracker2] Re: Recieving APRS data on Garmin GPSMap60CSX

  • Tyson S.
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 31, 2008
      Again, it's been a while and I don't remember, but I think you need to be hooked up to port B maybe? Anybody?

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
        On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:46 PM, k9sarfrog <both@...> wrote:
        > I changed the mode for Serial Port A from auto to Garmin and 9600
        > baud with autobaud selected.

        the GPS needs to be in Garmin 9600 mode; NMEA 4800 is the default.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • CASEY TIPPMANN
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
          i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode, but
          the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode. ou can
          access the mode setting for the gps from the main menu(press menu
          twice) page sequence should be....MAIN MENU>SETUP>INTERFACE. there may
          be 2 or 3 different garmin modes(garmin in/nmea out....), you want the
          one thats Garmin in/out.

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Jason KG4WSV" <kg4wsv@...> wrote:

          > On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:46 PM, k9sarfrog <both@...> wrote:
          > > I changed the mode for Serial Port A from auto to Garmin and 9600
          > > baud with autobaud selected.
          >
          > the GPS needs to be in Garmin 9600 mode; NMEA 4800 is the default.
          >
          > -Jason
          > kg4wsv

        • k9sarfrog
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
            Yes. I am now in Garmin mode with 9600 baud selected (still has the
            autobaud selected). Here is a screenshot what was my configuration
            before changing Serial Port A.

            http://www.treefrog.org/opentrackercfg.jpg

            -Chris

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "CASEY TIPPMANN" <imtippmann@...>
            wrote:

            > i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode,
            but
            > the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode. ou
            can
            > access the mode setting for the gps from the main menu(press menu
            > twice) page sequence should be....MAIN MENU>SETUP>INTERFACE. there
            may
            > be 2 or 3 different garmin modes(garmin in/nmea out....), you want
            the
            > one thats Garmin in/out.
            >

            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Jason KG4WSV" <kg4wsv@> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:46 PM, k9sarfrog <both@> wrote:
            > > > I changed the mode for Serial Port A from auto to Garmin and
            9600
            > > > baud with autobaud selected.
            > >
            > > the GPS needs to be in Garmin 9600 mode; NMEA 4800 is the default.
            > >
            > > -Jason
            > > kg4wsv

          • Jason KG4WSV
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
              On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 8:51 AM, k9sarfrog <both@...> wrote:
              > Yes. I am now in Garmin mode with 9600 baud selected (still has the
              > autobaud selected). Here is a screenshot what was my configuration
              > before changing Serial Port A.

              that's the T2 mode; the GPS unit also has to be in garmin/9600 mode.
              The GPS doesn't have an "auto" mode, so it has to be set manually.

              The GPS will do NMEA or Garmin binary, but you must manually switch it.

              Sorry if this is unnecessary advice, but it wasn't clear to me that
              your GPS is in the correct mode, and both devices must match.

              -Jason
              kg4wsv
            • Bob Poortinga
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                > i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode, but
                > the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode.

                I run a GPSMap 60Cs with at T2-135. Unfortunately, running the 60Cs in
                Garmin mode results in the "bread crumb" waypoint problem and the display
                quickly becomes cluttered with duplicate waypoints. I run mine in NMEA
                mode without problems. However, all APRS objects have the blue flag symbol.

                73 de
                --
                Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
                Bloomington, Indiana US
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                  yes the garmin is also in Garmin Mode. And the tracker unit is TX so
                  that part is working. And the LED for the RX is lightening up as
                  well.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                    Hmmm... I've got the 60CS and it works perfectly. What firmware
                    revision do you have in yours?

                    Scott

                    Bob Poortinga wrote:

                    > > i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode, but
                    > > the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode.
                    >
                    > I run a GPSMap 60Cs with at T2-135. Unfortunately, running the 60Cs in
                    > Garmin mode results in the "bread crumb" waypoint problem and the display
                    > quickly becomes cluttered with duplicate waypoints. I run mine in NMEA
                    > mode without problems. However, all APRS objects have the blue flag symbol.
                    >
                    > 73 de
                    > --
                    > Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga
                    > <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>>
                    > Bloomington, Indiana US

                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                      Would this also work on a Garmin Vista (not colour) ?
                    • CASEY TIPPMANN
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                        Thats wierd. Ive made a few trips with mine 1000+ miles and never
                        had a single bread crumb. I started out in NMEA mode and had the
                        bread crumb problem and a number of scrambled station ID`s. But the
                        moment i switched them to garmin that all went away. Oh well, chalk
                        it up to just plain old random-ness.

                        Casey Tippmann, KC0VZN
                        Maint. officer
                        Pennington County Search and Rescue(PC-SAR.COM)
                        Rapid city, SD

                        P.S. im still waiting on the edge of my seat for the T2/5watt
                        tranciever that was talked about a while back. i would love to be
                        able to use my HT trackers as digis as well

                        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Bob Poortinga <bobp+yahoo@...> wrote:

                        > > i run a few t2`s with garmin 60CS`s. they do work in NMEA mode,
                        but
                        > > the station ID`s tend to get jumbled up. Run it in GARMIN mode.
                        >
                        > I run a GPSMap 60Cs with at T2-135. Unfortunately, running the
                        60Cs in
                        > Garmin mode results in the "bread crumb" waypoint problem and the
                        display
                        > quickly becomes cluttered with duplicate waypoints. I run mine in
                        NMEA
                        > mode without problems. However, all APRS objects have the blue
                        flag symbol.

                        > 73 de
                        > --
                        > Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                        <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
                        > Bloomington, Indiana US

                      • k9sarfrog
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
                          The Garmin unit is set to UTM with WGS84. I assume since it is
                          providing the data to the tracker, that it should also be recieving.

                          Can I exclude the Garmin from testing the RX piece of the tracker?
                          What about testing the output (RX) via UI-View.
                          I assume all I need to do is set the com-port?

                          To answer some of the previous questions

                          On the GPSMap60csx
                          was running 3.30
                          now running 3.70

                          firmware Build for Tracker
                          Was 54100
                          Now 54680

                          Quick note about the tracker fireware upgrade, I did tell it to use
                          my existing settings, it still defaulted the value of the port A type
                          to Auto.

                          Here is the revision history for the Garmin
                          http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1245

                          Thanks
                          Chris
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
                            The older eTrex Vista (not USB) should work fine.

                            Scott

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 3, 2008
                              It's the interface mode that matters - should have options for NMEA
                              IN/OUT and GARMIN.

                              Yes, you can just connect to the T2 using a comm program. Make sure
                              port A is in AUTO mode and not GARMIN to get a command prompt.

                              Scott