Re: Garmin nuvi 350 to TH7D7A

  • n0uyx
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
      OK can't I use the DB-9 connector on the back of the DR-135 to
      connect to a nuvi 350? I just have to set port A to Garmin and
      Autobaud? I can't seem to get it to work. What else did I miss?

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "n0uyx" <n0uyx@...> wrote:

      > AWESOME DUDE!!!!
      >
      > Sounds good. So the Garmin default BPS is 9600? For a nuvi 350 that
      > is?

      > > Plugging the stock Garmin fleet management cable into a nuvi or
      > > StreetPilot gives you a 9600 baud, Garmin-proprietary binary
      > interface.
      > > The TH-D7A can't use it directly. The only APRS device (to my
      > > knowledge) that can use it is the Tracker2.
      > >
      > > You could use the TH-D7A with a T2, but it'd be a bit of a waste,
      > since
      > > you'd be bypassing the internal TNC.
      > >
      > > I'm also working on a protocol converter that'll let the D7,
      D700,
      > D710,
      > > and anything else that speaks NMEA connect to a nuvi or
      > StreetPilot.
      > > The first batch of what I hope is the final board revision is due
      > in
      > > next week. Assembling a few prototypes is going to be
      interesting -
      > > haven't tried manual soldering of QFN packages before. Assuming
      > all
      > > goes well, I should have some beta test units available in about
      > two weeks.
      > >
      > > This project is not to be confused with another kit I mentioned
      on
      > this
      > > list - I'll be selling a mini-kit that'll take the place of the
      > Garmin
      > > FMI cable, but cheaper. That'll still only be usable for the
      > Tracker2.
      > >
      > > Scott
      > >
      > > n0uyx wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Oh OK I see. So what is this nuvi 300 series cable for?
      > > >
      > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%
      > 40yahoogroups.com>, "P.
      > > > Suryono Adisoemarta"

      > > > thinking of making it available to us.

    • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008

        Scott,

        Is the tracker2 the same as the OTM2? I was looking ad got a Nuvi off eBay for a song and wanted to use it for the tracker in the car.

        Thanks

        Peter Summerhawk-N0WRE

        Plugging the stock Garmin fleet management cable into a nuvi or
        StreetPilot gives you a 9600 baud, Garmin-proprietary binary interface.
        The TH-D7A can't use it directly. The only APRS device (to my
        knowledge) that can use it is the Tracker2.

        You could use the TH-D7A with a T2, but it'd be a bit of a waste, since
        you'd be bypassing the internal TNC.

        I'm also working on a protocol converter that'll let the D7, D700, D710,
        and anything else that speaks NMEA connect to a nuvi or StreetPilot.
        The first batch of what I hope is the final board revision is due in
        next week. Assembling a few prototypes is going to be interesting - I

        n0uyx wrote:

        > Oh OK I see. So what is this nuvi 300 series cable for?
        >
        > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com
        <mailto:tracker2% 40yahoogroups. com>, "P.
        > Suryono Adisoemarta"
        > <yono_adisoemarta@ ...> wrote:
        > >

        > > Must wait for the FMI sentence converter kit, that Scott was
        > thinking of making it available to us.
        > >
        > > 73 de Paulus - N5SNN/YD0NXX

      • J. Lance Cotton
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
          on 8/27/2008 13:08 Peter Dakota Summerhawk said the following:
          > Is the tracker2 the same as the OTM2? I was looking ad got a Nuvi off
          > eBay for a song and wanted to use it for the tracker in the car.

          Tracker2 is the same as OT2, OT2m, and nearly any other variation of the
          opentracker and "2".

          -Lance

          --
          J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
          joe@...
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
            Yes, for most Garmins that's the only baud rate in their native mode.
            Again, not much speaks that protocol directly. The converter will put
            out NMEA at 4800 baud.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
              Yes, you can. Make sure you've got the latest firmware. Also, check
              your wiring. For the T2-135 you want the white wire on pin 2, yellow on
              pin 3, and black on pin 5. Make sure you're powering the nuvi through
              the rear USB port (the one on the clip-on mount.)

              Scott

              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                There are two (production) versions of the Tracker2 - the OT2m
                (standalone, in a metal case) and the T2-135, which goes in the Alinco
                DR-135. So yes, the OT2m is a Tracker2.

                Scott

                Peter Dakota Summerhawk wrote:

                > Scott,
                >
                > Is the tracker2 the same as the OTM2? I was looking ad got a Nuvi off
                > eBay for a song and wanted to use it for the tracker in the car.
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Peter Summerhawk-N0WRE

              • n0uyx
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                  I wonder if lastest software for the nuvi 350 maybe a problem? I
                  updated it a few days ago. I have it wired correctly and am using the
                  connection on the back of the suction cup mount. Doesn't seem to have
                  an effect on it.

                  > Yes, you can. Make sure you've got the latest firmware. Also,
                  check
                  > your wiring. For the T2-135 you want the white wire on pin 2,
                  yellow on
                  > pin 3, and black on pin 5. Make sure you're powering the nuvi
                  through
                  > the rear USB port (the one on the clip-on mount.)
                  >
                  > Scott
                  >
                  > n0uyx wrote:
                  > >

                  > > OK can't I use the DB-9 connector on the back of the DR-135 to
                  > > connect to a nuvi 350? I just have to set port A to Garmin and
                  > > Autobaud? I can't seem to get it to work. What else did I miss?
                  > >
                  > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%
                  40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > > "n0uyx" <n0uyx@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > AWESOME DUDE!!!!
                  > > >
                  > > > Sounds good. So the Garmin default BPS is 9600? For a nuvi 350
                  that
                  > > > is?
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%
                  40yahoogroups.com>,

                  > > > interface.

                  > > > since

                  > > D700,
                  > > > D710,
                  > > > StreetPilot.
                  > > > in
                  > > interesting -
                  Assuming
                  > > > all
                  > > > two weeks.

                  > > on
                  > > > this
                  > > > Garmin
                  > > > Tracker2.

                  > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:tracker2%
                  > > > 40yahoogroups.com>, "P.

                • Patrick
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                    The FMI cable needs to be plugged into the *side* of the gps. Power
                    should be plugged into the connector on the back of the mount. as you
                    require external power in order for the fmi cable to be enabled (it
                    bitches annoyingly if its not there)... I found I had to manually set
                    Garmin mode/9600 for port A in order to get things to work... this may
                    be just me though.

                    n0uyx wrote:
                    > I wonder if lastest software for the nuvi 350 maybe a problem? I
                    > updated it a few days ago. I have it wired correctly and am using the
                    > connection on the back of the suction cup mount. Doesn't seem to have
                    > an effect on it.

                  • n0uyx
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                      AH OK got cha!

                      TNX

                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                        It should at least give you the dispatch menu if it's communicating. Oh
                        yeah, since this is a T2-135, make sure you've got profile switching
                        disabled. That's caused a few headaches. Could be AMODE isn't really
                        GARMIN when you think it is.

                        I'll try grabbing the latest nuvi firmware tomorrow. Didn't get a heck
                        of a lot done today. Had a freight delivery and someone shoved the
                        warehouse door up to let the forklift in, and the door ran off its
                        tracks on one side and dang near came down completely. I was afraid I'd
                        be stuck in the office all night waiting for the repair guys, but they
                        got there and fixed it up in a couple of hours.

                        Scott

                        n0uyx wrote:

                        > I wonder if lastest software for the nuvi 350 maybe a problem? I
                        > updated it a few days ago. I have it wired correctly and am using the
                        > connection on the back of the suction cup mount. Doesn't seem to have
                        > an effect on it.

                        > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Yes, you can. Make sure you've got the latest firmware. Also,
                        > check
                        > > your wiring. For the T2-135 you want the white wire on pin 2,
                        > yellow on
                        > > pin 3, and black on pin 5. Make sure you're powering the nuvi
                        > through
                        > > the rear USB port (the one on the clip-on mount.)
                        > >
                        > > Scott
                        > >
                        > > n0uyx wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > OK can't I use the DB-9 connector on the back of the DR-135 to
                        > > > connect to a nuvi 350? I just have to set port A to Garmin and
                        > > > Autobaud? I can't seem to get it to work. What else did I miss?
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > <mailto:tracker2%
                        > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                        > that

                        > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:tracker2%
                        > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                        > or

                        > waste,

                        > > > D700,
                        > is due
                        > > > interesting -
                        > Assuming
                        > about

                        > mentioned
                        > > > on
                        > the

                        > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:tracker2%

                        > was

                      • n0uyx
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                          Always fun at the shop huh?

                          Have a good one tomorrow and 73.
                          TNX
                          Randall

                          > It should at least give you the dispatch menu if it's
                          communicating. Oh
                          > yeah, since this is a T2-135, make sure you've got profile
                          switching
                          > disabled. That's caused a few headaches. Could be AMODE isn't
                          really
                          > GARMIN when you think it is.
                          >
                          > I'll try grabbing the latest nuvi firmware tomorrow. Didn't get a
                          heck
                          > of a lot done today. Had a freight delivery and someone shoved the
                          > warehouse door up to let the forklift in, and the door ran off its
                          > tracks on one side and dang near came down completely. I was
                          afraid I'd
                          > be stuck in the office all night waiting for the repair guys, but
                          they
                          > got there and fixed it up in a couple of hours.
                          >
                          > Scott
                          >
                          > n0uyx wrote:
                          > >

                          > > I wonder if lastest software for the nuvi 350 maybe a problem? I
                          > > updated it a few days ago. I have it wired correctly and am using
                          the
                          > > connection on the back of the suction cup mount. Doesn't seem to
                          have
                          > > an effect on it.
                          > >
                          > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%
                          40yahoogroups.com>,
                          > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Yes, you can. Make sure you've got the latest firmware. Also,
                          > > check
                          > > > your wiring. For the T2-135 you want the white wire on pin 2,
                          > > yellow on
                          > > > pin 3, and black on pin 5. Make sure you're powering the nuvi
                          > > through
                          > > > the rear USB port (the one on the clip-on mount.)
                          > > >
                          > > > Scott

                          > > <mailto:tracker2%
                          > > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                          > > that

                          > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:tracker2%
                          > > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                          > > or

                          > > waste,

                          D7,
                          > > is due
                          > > Assuming
                          > > about

                          > > mentioned
                          > > the

                          > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>

                          Scott
                          > > was

                        • n0uyx
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                            I got it! It likes Garmin 9600 on port A better!

                            TNX Scott and all who answered!!

                            DE NØUYX
                            Randall

                          • n0uyx
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                              WOW this is AWESOME!!! As good as AV MAP as far as I can tell!!!

                              Thanks again!!!

                            • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 4 7:38 PM

                                Scott,

                                I have this for my Elcom to get it to work with APRSPoint in the TNC file and it does work:

                                HEADERLN OFF

                                MCOM OFF

                                MONITOR ON

                                GPSMON ON

                                KISS ON

                                My question is will this set work with the OT2M? Will it accept the commands for the unit to be able to use it with APRSPoint?

                                Let me know can you?

                                Thanks

                                Peter Summerhawk-N0WRE

                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 4 9:23 PM
                                  Not quite, if you're trying to get it into KISS mode. AMODE KISS sets
                                  port A to KISS mode, and it'll stay there. The manual has instructions
                                  for UI-View32, should be the same for APRSPoint.

                                  Scott

                                  Peter Dakota Summerhawk wrote:

                                  > Scott,
                                  >
                                  > I have this for my Elcom to get it to work with APRSPoint in the TNC
                                  > file and it does work:
                                  >
                                  > HEADERLN OFF
                                  >
                                  > MCOM OFF
                                  >
                                  > MONITOR ON
                                  >
                                  > GPSMON ON
                                  >
                                  > KISS ON
                                  >

                                  > My question is will this set work with the OT2M? Will it accept the
                                  > commands for the unit to be able to use it with APRSPoint?
                                  >

                                  > Let me know can you?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks
                                  >
                                  > Peter Summerhawk-N0WRE

                                • Clay Jackson
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 6 3:00 PM
                                    Scott and the group -

                                    I've just moved a fairly new (about a year old) T2-135 from my
                                    daughter's truck, where it was transmit only; into my car with a
                                    Nuvi-350 and it seems to be transmitting fine; but seems to be deaf -
                                    the only location I see is my own (N7QNM-9; see below) I'm wondering
                                    if I have a board that needs to be reflowed?

                                    The way I have it configured right now, the Nuvi is on the DB9 and
                                    on the front panel plug is a Deluo GPS; thinking that I'm not always
                                    gonna be running the Nuvi. I've got profile switching set to occur
                                    when I'm stopped, and then profile 2 is set to beacon every 15
                                    minutes. One of the 'interesting' things that's happening right now
                                    is that I'm seeing myself show up as a fixed location every 15
                                    minutes. It appears as if the second profile kicks in, and then the
                                    Nuvi sees what I've just transmitted as a different station - does
                                    this make any sense? Is there a better way to do this, so that when
                                    the Nuvi's plugged in, I get all of it's features; but when it's NOT,
                                    the other GPS 'takes over'.

                                    Thanks in advance!

                                    Clay
                                    N7QNM